300 Round Diamondback DB380 range report.....

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Airborne Infantryman, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

Went to the range today; put another 150 rounds through my DB380, and am glad to report NO malfunctions. Put 50 through my second DB380 with no malfunctions as well. Sights on both pistols are dead on at 15 yards, and I was getting respectable groupings for them being Mouse Guns. Ammo fired was MagTech Guardian +P, Speer Gold Dot, and PMC Bronze.

Seems the later serial #'s have the bugs worked out. The one with 300 rounds is ZA10xx and the one with 50 rounds through it is ZA17xx. I love these little guns, and my LCP has some competition. My prediction? With the much softer recoil of the DB380 compared to my LCP, and the manual of arms exactly like the Glock, I think these little pistols will be one hell of a competitor to the LCP, a P3AT once they take off a little more. For those who've had to use Diamondback's Lifetime warranty, I've heard of literally, 5 day turn around times. That's INSANE! Kudos to Diamondback Firearms for venturing into the rough world of Mouse Guns! They've got a winner! You can also see they've made a few refinements to the DB380 as the serial #'s get higher. The ZA17xx DB380 has a slick black coating on the trigger, as opposed to the parkerized finish on the ZA10xx DB380. Top one is ZA17xx, bottom is ZA10xx. I also want to add that I vaporized a Squirrel with my Five-seveN.....it was BRUTAL! Nothing left! I'm going to hell, yes. I'll see some of ya there! :rofl::supergrin:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. Chainlink

Chainlink

Glad to see yours is trouble free, I think I need to have mine serviced but I knew this may be the case even before I bought it. Other than the issues I have had I find it to be very accurate and soft shooting and fits the hand nicely.

3. Airborne Infantryman

I talked to Brad at DB, he said that a lot of the issues at first are solved once the gun is broken in....then again, with the price of .380, thats hard to do, if you can even find the stuff. How many rounds did yours have through it, and what was it doing? FTE? FTFeed? I've had no issues yet, but I'm thinking about polishing the feed ramp on mine possibly....maybe to improve feed reliability, then again, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.....

4. bambikilr

bambikilr

glad to hear, going back & forth, between .38 or .380, just can't decide

5. Airborne Infantryman

If it helps, these have the same exact take down, and manual of arms as a Glock. Gotta learn a whole new manual of arms with a wheel gun, although if you do go with one of these, look at the GunsAmerica, and GunBroker auctions that show the serial #. Ya want one with a high serial #. I just saw a ZA15xx DB380 on GunBroker. Then again, there's just something that's reassuring, and sexy about a fine revolver. I say gather the pros and cons, then decide. I love my .38's and .380s the same.

[​IMG]

6. Dexters

Dexters

Ktog had a picture the DB380 and P3at . The DB380 looks about the same size.
    I've sent an email to Diamondback to find out where I can buy one in Georgia. I would pay more for the DB380 vs the Ruger LCP.

7. Chainlink

Chainlink

FTF is the majority pretty much all that is wrong now, 200 rounds and counting.

8. lowbud

lowbud

I got one of these on Friday. I screwed up and sold off all my 380 ammo. i thought I had a few boxes put up but coudln't locate them. old age setting in I think..

Anyway the only ammo I could find was WWB 100 pack from wally world and several boxes of magtech guardian gold +p.

The results are not good. Almost every mag (almost) I did have a few solid mags but they were few and far between. Anyway every mag had either ftf, fte, and everyhting inbetween. partial feed's, stovepipes, you name it... it had it.

I tried one handed, two handed, heck I would have tried standing on my head if I thought it would help. Nothing I did different helped. Keep in mind this isn't my first 380. I've had just about them all. P3AT, LCP, etc..

This is my first jam-o-matic to date. I have had 100's of guns before and nothing ever this bad. I sure hope they can work the kinks out becasue I love the feel of this little gun.

I'm sending it in for repair.. I'll post again when it returns.
    <!-- / message -->

9. Dexters

Dexters

Two questions:
    How many mags come with the gun?
    Do other mags fit the gun or must you buy them from Diamondback?
    Thanks

10. Airborne Infantryman

Only one mag comes with the gun, but you can buy them from DB for $26. I've heard Kel-Tec P3AT mags work with the DB380, but I cannot confirm.

11. Dexters

Dexters

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Glad to hear about your trouble-free range trip!

Mines on order, should be in anytime now...

13. Liquid

Liquid

i saw one when i was getting some big dots installed on my pm9. i was very impressed with it. i could see myself adding another .380 to my collection in the next few months. i will admit i kinda wish its name started with a G lol

14. moncoacp

moncoacp

I am thinking of getting a .380 and have it down to the Diamondback and Taurus 738. + on the Taurus is an optional 8+1 mag. - is, well, its a Taurus which can be hit and miss. + on Diamondback is Glock like takedown, - is the reports of so many malfunctions. What might a safe serial number be? BTW, sent and email to Diamondback about increased mag size and they said they had "plans" for one.

15. railfancwb

railfancwb

Inquiring minds want to know where you found 300 rounds of 380...

16. Airborne Infantryman

It's been over a period of time......my local gunshop has PMC Bronze 90gr FMJ for $25 a box, and the PX here on base gets .380 every couple weeks. I buy a few boxes when I see it, and sit on it until I get a decent amount built up. I was able to get MagTech Guardian +P for $13 a box of 20 at the PX on base. I was able to get Speer Gold Dot 90gr JHP for $17 a box as well.

17. Airborne Infantryman

From the serial numbers I've seen on GunBroker, and GunsAmerica, there's at least 2000 Diamondback's out there, and I've only heard of around 5 cases of malfunctions. Both of mine have functioned flawlessly. Seems they've gotten a lot of the bugs worked out. Also, keep in mind that they need to be broken in like a Kahr.....you wanna put around 150-200 rounds downrange for things to loosen up. The DB380 has a very tight recoil spring, which may also contributes to leading to malfunctions with under-loaded target rounds. FWIW, reports are the DB380 really likes the premium SD ammo, and "hotter" ammo, such as Buffalo Bore and Double Tap; that comes directly from Diamondback. With .380 being so expensive and hard to find, its definitely a downer, but IMHO, the Diamondback .380 has replaced my Ruger LCP for pocket duty. I carry mine in an Uncle Mikes Pocket Holster that fits the LCP I have. I'd go with the Diamondback if you can find one. If you get a later serial number, I think you will be ok.

18. moncoacp

moncoacp

Thanks my dealer has one so I will check the serial number with the shop. Everything is a little pricier here in NY. I think the list is $419 plus tax. Can probably get him down some.

19. jbp1

jbp1 PatrioticOne

Just purchased this DB380 a week ago. Love it! One trip to the range with 3 magazines' worth fired. Function on the range was flawless. I love this little gun! I wish Springfield Arms made a miniaturized pocket 380. Then both of my favorite formats would be in the collection. Anyway... Got back home and field stripped it as I had twice before...

This time, when reassembling after the field strip and clean, it went into limbo when putting it back together -- while installing the slide. The barrel is floating but the recoil spring is sticking out the front of the slide and is stuck fast. The gun can not be assembled or disassembled from here.

I didn't want to force it so I have sent this photo and questions into Diamondback for help before proceeding. Does anyone know what I may have done wrong here? I probably did something bone-headed so I'm not blaming the gun materials or design yet. I'll let everyone know how it goes, but for now I still love this little 380!

STATUS UPDATE:
    Thanks to pb1995 and Diamondback for providing the same very helpful information. Here's an explanation of what happened as well as the fix, which worked exactly as recommended:

"The recoil rod was off center and you pulled it back far enough to cock the striker. The striker will not fire if it is out of battery so you have to line the back of the slide up with the back of the grip and pull the trigger. This will release the striker and allow the slide to come off the front.

Sincerely,Diamondback Firearms"

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  20. Chainlink

Chainlink

Done it, saw it done, and forced it out to get it. Spring guide was out of alignment....should not be in notch, it should be horizontal to the slide.