300 blackout suppressor on a 223?

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by Scott3670, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Scott3670

Scott3670

I've heard various opinions on whether I can use my 30 cal silencer (made by YHM) on my 223. It currently resides on my 300 back out and has been a stellar performer. Anyway, I'd like to avoid paying for another silencer if possible, and would like anyone's real-life experience with this. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Call the manufacturer. It will also depend upon barrel length. The shorter the barrel, the "less" the caliber a suppressor will take. A Silencerco Specwar 762 will take .223 down to 8-1/4" if I remember correctly, while the Omega 762 will not.

Different baffle materials will handle different levels of pressure.

3. k4rch

k4rch

You should be fine. From YHM's website:

"The minimum barrel length for which the suppressor is warranted is 10.5 inches with the exception of a system chambered in .300 BLK which is warranted to a minimum barrel length of 8 inches."

4. tmc4065

tmc4065

other than needing a thread adapter, go for it . . .

They usually sound nicer to the shooter as the larger bore size lets more gas out of the end of the silencer instead of coming back through the ejection port.

The meter thinks it is quieter but your ears aren't 1m left of the gun :supergrin: