Glock Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
16,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've talked about getting one long enough,picked a rifle up.
Now I know I have preferences in certain calibers for a certain brand of dies but have zip for experience with 300 Blackout.

My normal is to go Lee and most certainly for firearms that are semi auto,the exception would be RCBS small base dies.

Any points or suggestions as to 300 Blackout reloaders favor or criticism of certain manufactures when it comes to 300. Thanks in advance SJ 40

· Ninja
2,786 Posts
For blasting ammo I use a Dillon Carbide FL resize die.

More more accuracy orientated ammo I use Redding resize for Forester inline seat.

· Registered
466 Posts
I have Hornady's 300 BLK/300 Whisper die set and the standard RCBS 300 BLK die set. Both size brass perfectly and will push shoulders back to "zero" and slightly below. I prefer the RCBS seating die for it's roll crimp ability but like Hornady's seater with the sliding alignment sleeve. You can get a small based RCBS with a taper crimp feature but I don't believe it's needed. Since getting into 300 Blackout only about 2 years ago, I've read of more problems with the Lee sizing dies but have no experience with them myself. My Hornady seater die body has to have the lock ring locked on the very end of the threads next to the die opening to work in my Co-Ax press but is no problem.

· Banned
16,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have Hornady's 300 BLK/300 Whisper die set and the standard RCBS 300 BLK die set. Both size brass perfectly and will push shoulders back to "zero" and slightly below. I prefer the RCBS seating die for it's roll crimp ability but like Hornady's seater with the sliding alignment sleeve. You can get a small based RCBS with a taper crimp feature but I don't believe it's needed. Since getting into 300 Blackout only about 2 years ago, I've read of more problems with the Lee sizing dies but have no experience with them myself. My Hornady seater die body has to have the lock ring locked on the very end of the threads next to the die opening to work in my Co-Ax press but is no problem.
From what I have read for reviews of the Lee the problem with them seems to be one that keeps coming up and J Morris mentioned,it is with reforming cases from the parent 5.56/223.
As I plan on reforming that seems to be a shortcoming for the Lee dies. SJ 40

· Registered
3,636 Posts
Could be a bit more than a shortcoming depending on how you form/trim them.

I use the GSI/Dillon setup on the left.

That forms them correctly, the Lee dies won't (unless they have changed the way they make them).

· Wood butcher
2,463 Posts
I agree with JMorris, I initially bought Lee and had problems with forming 5.56. I bought a SB RCBS sizer and that worked fine. After they are already sized, my Lee's work perfectly. Because pre-formed brass is now readily available, I'll buy those from this point forward and stick with the Lee dies. The reason is that it's much easier and faster to resize in them using one shot.

Reactions: SJ 40
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.