Glock Talk banner

30 trigger pin question

1893 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Bigpapacolt
At the range today with my 26,17, and my 30. I had run a couple of boxes of 9 thru the 26 then the 17. My routine is to shoot the 26 first then the 17 followed by the 30. While running the 30 I had a ftf on the last round and when I cleared the round I noticed that the firing takedown pin was almost out on the left hand side of the gun. I pushed it back in cycled the slide and dry fired it a couple of times. Then I looked at the round noticed a light strike put it back on top of another mag and off she ran. My question Is this the sign of a worn pin or is this a wear item that needs replacing from time to time.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· RetiredDinosaur
11,518 Posts
At the range today with my 26,17, and my 30. I had run a couple of boxes of 9 thru the 26 then the 17. My routine is to shoot the 26 first then the 17 followed by the 30. While running the 30 I had a ftf on the last round and when I cleared the round I noticed that the firing takedown pin was almost out on the left hand side of the gun. I pushed it back in cycled the slide and dry fired it a couple of times. Then I looked at the round noticed a light strike put it back on top of another mag and off she ran. My question Is this the sign of a worn pin or is this a wear item that needs replacing from time to time.
Apparently your 'ftf' was a fail to fire? (As compared to a fail to feed).

Not yet sure what " the firing takedown pin" is..... The slide lock is the part you pull down to remove the slide from the frame.

If you're talking about the trigger pin coming out, that means it was either assembled incorrectly, or it is broken.

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently your 'ftf' was a fail to fire? (As compared to a fail to feed).

Not yet sure what " the firing takedown pin" is..... The slide lock is the part you pull down to remove the slide from the frame.

If you're talking about the trigger pin coming out, that means it was either assembled incorrectly, or it is broken.
Yes sir item 2. Next question if it is assembled incorrectly and has been for awhile. Can it still fire.

Last question if it was broken will it still fire safely. After I pushed it back in I cycled it a few times put a mag back in it and she ran. I thought since the pin only backed out partially like 5/8 to 3/4 inch that it was still intact.

Maybe I need to ask for more assistance.

· Banned
6,834 Posts
Maybe I need to ask for more assistance.
Maybe you and so many others who post here need to use standard part names as shown in the owner's manual of EVERY Glock pistol, so we have some chance of understanding what you are talking about!!!

· RetiredDinosaur
11,518 Posts
Yes sir item 2. Next question if it is assembled incorrectly and has been for awhile. Can it still fire.
It can, and most likely would.

Last question if it was broken will it still fire safely. After I pushed it back in I cycled it a few times put a mag back in it and she ran. I thought since the pin only backed out partially like 5/8 to 3/4 inch that it was still intact.
A broken trigger pin can cause malfunctions, but the gun would tend to continue to function. (I wouldn't knowingly fire it that way though, unless its an emergency, the pin also supports the locking block in the frame)

The trigger pin has two grooves in it, the slide stop lever rides in one of the grooves when assembled correctly, the lever's spring keeps it in the groove, and the lever then helps keep the pin from walking.

When a trigger pin breaks, it breaks at one of the grooves, and one end of the pin can 'walk'. When you found the pin sticking out, did you take a look at the other end of the pin? If it was still basically flush with the frame, the pin is likely broken.

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
Maybe you and so many others who post here need to use standard part names as shown in the owner's manual of EVERY Glock pistol, so we have some chance of understanding what you are talking about!!!
Wow, relax. Not all will know the gun parts names and the members that are in the know should cut some slack to those that are not articulate on the Glock part nomenclature. We should cultivate a forum of understanding and consideration since this forum is to assist those in need of help of resolving their Glock questions and issues.

· Registered
76 Posts
Wow, relax. Not all will know the gun parts names and the members that are in the know should cut some slack to those that are not articulate on the Glock part nomenclature. We should cultivate a forum of understanding and consideration since this forum is to assist those in need of help of resolving their Glock questions and issues.

· Registered
8,591 Posts
The trigger pin on my new G19 Gen 3 started drifting out on the left. It was my first range visit with it.

Everybody, thank you all for sharing.

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It can, and most likely would.

A broken trigger pin can cause malfunctions, but the gun would tend to continue to function. (I wouldn't knowingly fire it that way though, unless its an emergency, the pin also supports the locking block in the frame)

The trigger pin has two grooves in it, the slide stop lever rides in one of the grooves when assembled correctly, the lever's spring keeps it in the groove, and the lever then helps keep the pin from walking.

When a trigger pin breaks, it breaks at one of the grooves, and one end of the pin can 'walk'. When you found the pin sticking out, did you take a look at the other end of the pin? If it was still basically flush with the frame, the pin is likely broken.

Good morning all. Hey Butch thanks for taking time to explain this so well. Especially since I had looked up the Glock assembly diagram and still referred to the trigger pin incorrectly. I did not think to look at the pin opposite side. Maybe it's time I either get up to speed on proper care of this firearm or hand it to someone that can. Thanks all for your help even you mike because it is important to use standard glock nomenclature especially if you are asking for help.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
12,024 Posts
Reminds me of a quote, "those that can do those that cannot teach". Some people do not have the skill or mindset to teach and adapt to diversity.

· Banned
11,514 Posts
Reminds me of a quote, "those that can do those that cannot teach". Some people do not have the skill or mindset to teach and adapt to diversity.
... And those that cannot do or teach? They Manage. I've had many more Managers in my day, but few teachers.

· RetiredDinosaur
11,518 Posts
Having everyone on the same page is not a bad thing, it just makes it easier to communicate more accurately.

· A swamp dude
12,587 Posts
Good morning all. Hey Butch thanks for taking time to explain this so well. Especially since I had looked up the Glock assembly diagram and still referred to the trigger pin incorrectly. I did not think to look at the pin opposite side. Maybe it's time I either get up to speed on proper care of this firearm or hand it to someone that can. Thanks all for your help even you mike because it is important to use standard glock nomenclature especially if you are asking for help.
Look, most here don't know every Glock part by its proper name. Find a good parts illustration, bookmark it for future reference, and you're all set. I copied one, laminated it and keep it nearby.

After a while you'll marvel at the simplicity of Glock pistols. You'll recognize the parts for what they do and where they go, and learning the proper names will happen eventually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.