Glock Talk banner

.30 Super Carry Poll: flash in the pan or a rising star?

• Flash in the pan

Votes: 89 64.0%
  • Rising star

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • Buzzz, the correct answer is .357 SIG rules!

Votes: 11 7.9%
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
.30 Super Carry Poll: flash in the pan or a rising star?

Liquid Drinkware Fluid Cosmetics Font

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
NRA Life Member
6,786 Posts
Normally I'm "meh" when it comes to new offerings, but this one seems like it has some potential to me. I say that because it might address the gulf between micro compacts in .380 that people like for their size but have a rep for not putting out enough oomph, and the 9mm subs, while meeting and exceeding the capacity needs people are looking for.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Not sure if it is for me, but it was released at a bad time. In the midst of an ammo price hike/shortage is not the time for a new caliber. Unless you go nuts on the price. If Federal had released it and offered the ammo for a crazy low price, some people would not have been able to help themselves.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I guess one recent 30SC thread wasn't enough.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
8,514 Posts
I like it, I wanted to try it just because it's different. Of course how well it does will depend on how many guns are made for it and if they can drive down ammo cost, which currently sits at about $21/50rds. If they can get the price down a little and offer more guns then it could have a fighting chance. I don't deny that 9mm may be better than the 30 SC, but having shot both the 9mm and 30SC Shield Plus, they're pretty close recoil wise, I'd like to say 30 SC has a little less but it definitely has better capacity. With the flush mag it has the footprint of a G43 but holds 14rds and with the extend mag it has the footprint of a G43X but holds 17rds. I'm a Glock guy through and through but have to admit the Shield Plus is a really nice gun.

It's basically a magnum 32 ACP or it's is to the 32 ACP what the 9mm is to the 380 ACP, same caliber but heavier, higher sectional density bullets that are also moving quite a bit faster. The .30 SC seems to perform well in gel tests, probably won't see much real world data on it for some time to come but that's okay by me. Again perhaps the 9mm is a better performer but I'm not worried about that, I most shoot and carry .40 or .45 anyways so for me I wanted a smaller, high capacity option without being forced into 9mm. I think having another option is great and a bit refreshing considering how stale everything has gotten since it seems like the only cartridge manufacturers care about these days is the 9mm.

·
NRA & SAF mbr
5,871 Posts
None of the above. Pretty much a non-starter. A solution looking for a problem.

Actually, a "solution" that IS a problem. Try finding the ammo at your LGS.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess one recent 30SC thread wasn't enough.

With all due respect, this one was to conduct a poll.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The other thing to consider is that in Greg Ellifritz's study (however one may feel about it), 9mm FMJ did as well or better than .44 Magnum, .45 ACP and .40 S&W in it's failure to incapacitate rate. Unless you're buying Winchester M1152 ball rounds, most 9mm FMJ is anemic at best and probably akin to the 30 Super Carry in terms of energy. That could actually make it just as effective; but similar to both 9mm and .380 ACP, one could make the argument that HP bullets are not necessary, especially if Lehigh Defense/Underwood release XD rounds for this caliber. Like all lighter/faster bullets, they work best with higher velocity (which you're not going to get out of a 2.75" barrel), but that doesn't mean they still won't work as well as .380 ACP or even possibly 9mm in the average gunfight. That's also something to keep in mind. This study, like most others, are dealing with averages, which are helpful, but certainly not the whole story. The extra capacity in otherwise limited capacity firearms, however, is an attractive proposition.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would feel better if Smith & Wesson offered .30 Super Carry in a 4" Shield. Now that's a combination I might be able to get on board with. It's more stable carrying the longer barrel appendix anyway (my preference). Currently it is only offered in 9mm.

But 17 rounds (.30SC) vs. 14 rounds (9mm)? Meh. I'm completely fine carrying 14 rounds.

But 13+1 (.30SC) vs 10+1 (9mm) in the flush configuration? That is tempting.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Combat pistol shooting

But I'd still rather see 10 round mags in something like this:

Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Sports equipment Air gun

Reactions: McPatrickClan

·
Georgia gal
3,617 Posts
The Q is, do people want two carry guns or one? A lot of people carry a 9mm on the belt and when that is not possible, deep conceal a .380 pistol. The 30SC merges those two guns… is that what people want?

From what I've read from several sources, the 30SC cannot work in any truly tiny micro pistol like the Bodyguard .380 or the LCP because the pressure is too great. (Please correct if that's bad info.) I carry my little BG .380 sometimes because it is the only thing I own that will fit in some of my (women's clothing) small pockets, and I like pocket carry. IF it could work in a very tiny pistol, I might be interested, but if not, I'll stick with my 9mm for the slightly larger pistols like my Shield or Shield Plus which I really like to shoot.

Therefore, I voted "Flash in the pan," although I have no idea how popular it may or may not actually become. For me personally, I see no advantage over the pistols and ammo I already have, considering the sizes of the pistols. But it comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Not that I really care, but I looked for ammo availability a few weeks ago... just wondering if there was any and what it cost. I didn't see anything and little info other than Federal's.(?)
I don't want a "boutique" ammo/gun, or the latest fad.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts