30 Georgia Troopers Fired In Cheating Scandal

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Jan 31, 2020.

1. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Integrity:. If you can't fake it, you won't last long in this business.

Seriously though, how stupid do you have to be to let your girlfriend take the test thinking she'll do better than you will when you've been through the class...

Breathtaking...

Randy

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

2. Ftttu

Ftttu

I’m hoping this is fully integrity related and not just acted upon because a scorned ex brought it to light to the agency and/or the media.

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I would like more info. How?

Sfaql and Dynactus like this.
  4. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

Yes. Me too.

There has to be some solid evidence. No way all 30 officers admitted to cheating. And no way they fired thirty troopers based on a tip from a scorned ex-girlfriend.

At my academy they always has three different tests. No two people sitting next to one another had the same test.

Pretty standard throughout my college career as well.

5. bdcochran

bdcochran

cheating is so rampant! I took three finals at Santa Monica City College in the last 5 years. Each time, the instructor would offset the testees within a room to discourage cheating.

I've have previously written that my company commander had 14 bolos who could not qualify with an M14. He simply had 14 people who could pass swap name-tagged shirts so the company could pass. So 14 people went to Vietnam who would never be effective in combat.

cbetts1 likes this.
  6. knoxvegasdaddy

knoxvegasdaddy UBER VOL !!!

There’s a book, right? Read it.

If you’re too busy or dumb for that, you’re not Trooper material. Or any other kind of cop.

7. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

Finked was the buzz word of the 60’s an 70’s then some. Same era as LEO’s referred to as the “fuzz”.

jimcorbin likes this.
  8. Tvov

Tvov

Was wondering about that. Is that about writing speeding tickets, or something else?

9. Agonizer

Agonizer .

From the article:
    "The group had written a total of 133 speeding tickets since they graduated. McDonough said that information has been supplied to courts across the state, with the expectation that most of those violations will be dismissed."

10. Tvov

Tvov

So... they were all fired for cheating on what is basically a "certification" exam for writing speeding tickets?

If so, that puts it in a different light than cheating on the final exam for graduation from the academy.

11. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

I'm kind of confused; within the first three lines of the article it says they cheated on an entrance exam then a speed detection exam. Which is it? One is at the beginning and the other would be sometime later.

The press is not really known for accuracy in terminology. These are the same people who use the term "service revolver" when talking about Glock sidearms.

I realize that most, if not all, state trooper academies are all inclusive but my academy didn't even have a speed detection portion, that was a school you attended after you were certified and hired on with a department or agency.

It's difficult to believe that everyone in that class were bad eggs and cheated. I can see where no one snitched but it goes against probability that everyone was a $h!tbird. They are all down the toilet now so it doesn't really matter but I would be interested in the whole story.

Just_plinking, nursetim and Tvov like this.
  12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

30 Georgia Troopers Fired In Cheating Scandal

30 future Democrat politicians.

4Baldy and nursetim like this.
  13. Gombey

Gombey

Certification for LIDAD and RADAR operation.

Tvov likes this.
  14. blueiron

blueiron

LIDAR and RADAR certification classes and testing are not particularly demanding coursework. Only the laziest and the unethical would cheat on the exam, but 30 total?

I'd be interested to see their academic CVs.

nursetim and CAcop like this.
  15. Dynactus

Dynactus

16. CAcop

CAcop

I think the bar to a national database is the potential abuse by administrators and the relative ease of discovering people are dirty. It is hard to explain away pretty big chunks of time in the application with no employment or education.

We had one woman get fired from us years ago for lying in a report. While HR rules made it difficult to help out with background checks the closest she came to LE was working as an investigator for a public defenders office. That and one of the contracting companies that does business in the Middle East.

The other two guys drove a bus and work the psych ward. It's hard to explain why you left a department after 11 and 17 years suddenly.

The national database would help agencies where a guy gets bounced 10+ years before in another state and all the command staff who would know why he was fired are long gone. Plus I am willing to bet there are enough small agencies hurting for people and money that they just can't do much in terms of background.

Gombey and nursetim like this.
  17. fastbolt

fastbolt

I know. I just haven't used it or heard/read it used since then. Remember the Rat Fink character from hot-rodding? :)

LilCop2002 and sixgun2 like this.
  18. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I'm surprised a lot of guys are asking "why cheat?"

I'm not condoning cheating in any way, but I get it. I graduated from the SCCJA in 1999 when I was 26. Every single day was a somewhat stressful experience and test days, where failure on certain tests could mean going home early, were incredibly stressful. Some people can't deal with that kind of stress and they look for any leg up that they can find.

I'm in an online masters degree program right now and I know for a fact people are cheating. On one of the Facebook groups for a class I'm in one of my fellow students even inadvertently admitted to finding a copy of an upcoming test online. There are also online writing services that will write essays, thesis, and dissertations for pretty hefty fees.

19. nursetim

nursetim

In my academy class #2 my deskmate cheated off me on the medical section. He told me after the fact. He’s now a lieutenant last time I checked 6 years ago.

20. blueiron

blueiron