close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

30-30?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by crater, Nov 19, 2002.

1. crater

crater NRA Member

For now I think I have enough handguns, and would like to get into hunting. Probably no more than deer for now. I have never had a rifle larger than a .22 and I am thinking of getting a 30-30. Is this a good choice for deer and if needed personal protection. If so, what mfg. do you guys recommend? Any recommendation as to certain cartridge also.

Thanks in advance

2. SoDFW Jason

SoDFW Jason Slow Hillbilly

Good choice. Marlin actually makes a camp rifle in 30-30 that would fit the bill perfectly.

3. RonC

RonC

Check latest American Rifleman. Got an article in praise of 30-30 as a meat gun on white-tail sized game. Premise is 30-30 should have died a long time ago but it hasn't. In fact, the caliber is estimated to have taken more game than any other.

4. davesglock30

davesglock30

you can't beat a marlin 30-30 for an all purpose hunting rifle! between my dad and i we have taken everything from a racoon(killing our chickens) to a good sized PA black bear. it has brought home many, many PA whitetails. as long as you're not going to be making any 200+yard shots the 30-30 is very hard to beat.:)

5. paulito

paulito

i have a marlin. i love it to death. it's great for deer sized game at close shots. it's great for brush too. the bullet is heavy enough that some little little twigs won't throw it off too much as if you were using a smaller bullet. i agree with davesglock30 on the long shots. if you're going to be taking some 150+ yard shots, i would go for a .308 or something larger. the .308win will allow you to shoot at farly long distances and not kill your shoulder or your wallet.

the marlin i would advise you to get is anyone of the 336 models. i think they hold close to 7 or 8 rounds. that's always a plus, especially for a new hunter. i live in oklahoma and there' s a lot of brush where i hunt. last year i decided to hunt an open winter wheat field and took a buck and a doe at over 200 yards. i used my .30-06 for those two.

another thing i like about the marlin 336 is that they're so small. easy to travel with. especially if you tend to stalk at all. and remember, if you do stalk, get the see through scope mounts. if a deer is on the run, good luck in finding it through your scope!

paulito

6. CavVet

CavVet Colt .45 CCW

My Dads family are hillbillies from West Virginia... I have 2 30/30's...

One Marlin I bought because the 30/30 is the family staple for deer hunting...And another I picked up 3 years ago deer season back in West Virginia....

My cousin who lives there told me a man had a 30-30 for sale. He claimed it was the 30-30 my deerslayer Uncle(RIP) had got from his older Brother. He had left the gun with the irresponsible cousin of the family who sold it. I bought it for a hundred bucks on the spot. When we went back my other cousin knew that rifle was ours as soon as he saw it. He put the major gouge in the stock as a kid. There have probably been more deer slain with that rifle in my family than any other single gun. And now she is a hall of fame safe queen family heirloom. Winchester top eject.

Run dont walk to your FFL and buy a 30/30 for your deer and let the killin begin. Great all around brush gun. Short, light and capable. Besides the lever action gives me a nostalgic deja vue to a simpler time.

My FAL is my MBR, G23 my CCW, my AR's are my fun babies, but my 30/30 is my favorite deer gun for more than one reason....

BTW, my Marlin hammer spring BROKE as we were sighting it in for the first time. If I had not been following safe shooting procedures (Always keep the muzzle pointed downrange) someone could have got hurt. I jacked a round in the chamber, went to aim the rifle and BOOM! The hammer would not lock back. I took it back and they traded it in. No problems since then.

7. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

I too like the .30-30 Winchester.

I don't see the need for a scope. The lever-action Winchester M94 carbine is best for quick shots at running game. For that kind of shooting I will take buckhorn sights.

8. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

A pre-64 Winchester Model 94 with peep sights makes a dandy deer/self defense gun. I bought mine for the grand total of $140 a few years back. There are many more out there at similar prices.

9. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

You may want to look at a .45/70 too. Range is shorter than the .30-30 and ammo is a bit more, but it kills with authority! I love my Marlin 1895G with Winchester Part Gold. Also the .45/70 can pretty much take out whatever you point it at.

10. davesglock30

davesglock30

hey safetyslug, that's the rifle i'm fixing to buy here in about a month! i love those 1895G's! i'd like to get one of the stainless ones but good lord are they expensive!! even the regular guide gun is expensive here where i live though. i found new ones on gunbroker.com for mid $300's and i'm going to go to the orlando gun show to see if i can get a good deal on one there. around here the cheapest i've seen yet is $450 for a plain 1895G!:( also, how bad does that gun kick? is it like a mule hitting you? how is it compared to a 12GA. with 00buck?

11. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Get a Marlin 336 (they even make them in stainless), mount a Williams peep sight (you don't really need a scope) and load it with 150-grain Remington Core-Lokts. Sight it in, and you're done. :)

12. vaulter

vaulter

A few weeks ago I found my perfect gun. its a win 94 .30-30 that was made after they went to angle eject but before they went to the cross-bolt safety.....I scoped it....and I know that will ruin it for a lot of you guys but I love it....

13. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

I really enjoy my 1895G. I got the blued one cause of the price and I don't like stainless guns when I hunt (do to light reflection...no joke). I took some pics of my gun and my favorite ammo (my wife graciously agreed to model).

I have an ATN sight on my Marlin because when I hunt pigs it is either just before sunrise or a little after sunset (when the porkers like to come out and play). The black on black sights of the marlin do not work well in these conditions so I give myself an edge with the ATN.

Here is a pic of my 1895G

14. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

Here is the ammo I like to hunt with when I use my 1895G. Winchester Supreme CX3 Partition Gold 300gr. This ammo wil "nudge" you a bit when you fire it, but it is some of the flattest shooting .45/70 you can buy for the money. This ammo is an awesome hunting roung but it will cost ya. I think I usually pay about 25-27 bucks for 20 rounds. If you nail an animal with this round and it keeps coming at ya, run and stop hunting Dinosaurs!

15. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

And finally, here is what I target shoot with. Remington Express 405gr. This stuff is only really suited for target. The problem is it has a big drop at 100 yards (6-8 inches!!!) and the charge behind it is a bit weak. A .30-06 (165 gr) has a bigger kick that this round. But for 14-16 bucks for 20 it is a lot more economical to shoot than the Winchester!