close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.30-30 undergunned??

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by vaulter, Jun 26, 2003.

1. vaulter

vaulter

I switched back to a scoped winchester 94 in .30-30 win last fall all that I've hunted the last 10 years is deer. I am thinking of going black bear hunting this fall and am wondering if I'm under gunned? Also what do you think about the .30-30 for elk....(if I ever get around to going).
    thanks

2. tjpet

tjpet

OK for the average bear. Elk, well I'd want to be close and hit well. If you're willing to hold out for optimum conditions it'll do a good job from what I've seen.

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

You will be fine for deer. No question.

For the bear, use the heaviest bullet you can, and if you reload, use a heavy cast bullet. I see no problem with this set up and "proper shot placement," especially under 50 yards or so.

For the Elk.... Will it do it?.... Sure!
    Is there better?... Sure!

But, you need to know your stuff, and hunt hard and get close, and again, heavy cast would be best. Many elk have been dropped with 30-30. Even more with the 35 Remington, and i would feel better with it, (35 rem), even with factory loads, than the 30-30.

I have a friend in Wyoming, in fact, he makes cast bullets for company's like corbon, federal, buffalo bore. He has taken elk with 357 mag. hangun, and his son has done the same with a .243 winchester rifle... both using 'his cast bullets'.

http://www.castperformance.com/

Talk to "Kelly." He can fix you up with what you need for the 30-30 i would imagine... or Beartooth Bullets either one.

Again, if you 'do not reload'.. use the heviest bullets you can on the 'larger game' especially. Make that shot count, and get close!

(edit note).
    P.S.... doesn't look like Kelly makes anything for the 30-30.
    But Beartooth does......

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Good Luck!
    Good Hunting!

CanyonMan

4. vart

vart

I shot my first elk with a .257 Roberts with a handloaded Nossler 120 gr. partition at 250 yds. No problem, just use proper shot placement;) .
    Where do you hunt? I usually go to either 10A (Dworshak area, by Freeman creek), or 8A (about 10 miles out of Moscow out Lenville Rd.).

5. commander

commander

Elk aren't hard to kill they're just hard to sneak up on. That's why I like something a little flatter shooting like a 7mm mag. A 30/30 will do just fine if you can get close enough. I'd say within 150 yards max.

The opposite is true with the bears. They might sneak up on you. A 30/30 will work but shot placement is real important. Be careful.

6. vaulter

vaulter

I deer hunt on my grandpa's property where I grew up in Sagle. I haven't gone elk hunting yet haven't had the time when I've had someone to go with. now I can make the time but don't have anyone to go with...what can ya do :)

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

(QUOTE).....I deer hunt on my grandpa's property where I grew up in Sagle. I haven't gone elk hunting yet haven't had the time when I've had someone to go with. now I can make the time but don't have anyone to go with...what can ya do . (End Quote).

Go on by yourself, use your head, plan well, be careful, and have a good time. Solo hunting like that can be hard, 'but not at all impossible....' Enjoy! It will give ya time to think, and teach you alot about yourself as well.

Good Hunting!

CanyonMan

8. vart

vart

You don't want to go with me...I'm cursed;g . I ran into a herd of elk last year and had my .35 Whelen's crosshairs on a decent 4-point bull at 200 yds. Too bad the season ended 3 days earlier;Q . I was thinking about trying bowhunting this year with a 55lb recurve.

9. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

The .30-30 Winchester is fine for black bear. Go with the 170gr bullets.

Another good caliber is .32 Winchester Special.