close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

30-30 scope or new sights

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by gunnin_em_down, Nov 2, 2004.

1. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

i recently bought a marlin 336 30-30. i'm not very good w/ the iron sights. should i get a small scope like a 2-4x or should i get one of the new style sights out there. and if i get new sights, what type, and where can i find them?
    thanks
    josh

2. vafish

vafish

My personal preference on a lever gun is a 1-4x or 1.5-5x scope.

Either that or try one of the old style peep sites. I think Williams and Lyman still make them.

3. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

4. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Mounting a scope will ruin the balance and fast handling qualities of the .30-30 lever action rifle.

My advise is that you mount the Lyman, Williams, or Marbles peep sights

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Either a reciever mounted peep sight from Lyman, Williams, or Marble, or the very similar XSS Ghost Ring sight. They keep the balance of the gun, are more accurate and quick to use.

6. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

that if he has difficulties with iron sights a peep would be just as hard or maybe even more difficult.

I have 336 in 35rem.. with a scope on it.. No problem what so ever with it..

Suggest you get a low power variable.. i have a 2.5 x 8 on my 06 but a 1.5 x 5 or something along those lines would work pretty well for you.. you may even consider a Aimpoint.. with the red dot.. or something similar.

I will say this though, if you plan to hunt thick country i.e. dense woods, heavy brush with fast close shooting then you should consider practicing a lot with the scope and acquiring the target etc. or just stay with the iron sights and practice more.

Jeff.

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Leaf sights like levers come with aren't as easy to shoot with as aperatures for most people. I can snap shoot with either, but better with an aperature rear as I'm more practiced with them.

8. Sharker

Sharker

I have gone backwards this year, putting aside all my scoped long range guns, and opting for a lever with a williams peep. It works great, and I shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards (pretty good being the post covers more than 2 inches at that range) and probably 3 1/2" at 100 yards. Its a snap to shoot and extremely quick. I bought it so I would have a better gun for when I still hunt, one that shoulders quick, aquires quick, and handles quick. I have been extremely happy with the peep. But if you want a scope go for a low power one.

9. muddydog

muddydog

without a doubt..

AO tritium sights are awesome...
    i have them on every open sighted rifle i have..

10. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Why not go with both a low-power scope AND a peep sight? Peep sights are far more accurate than blades. I have a Williams peep and a Williams Fire-Sight front sight on both my Marlin 336 (.35 Rem), and my Remington 742 carbine (.308). Both guns are already drilled and tapped for mounting the Williams peep sights, and the front blade is also an easy swap. Just make sure you get the right height & width front blade, if you're changing both front & rear. And lose that silly front sight cover on the Marlin.

On the Marlin 336, the tapped holes on top of the receiver, place the rear sight-thru mount in conflict with the Williams receiver sight. So, I used the forward of the two holes for the rear sight-thru mount, and drilled and tapped another hole further forward. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, any competant gunsmith can do it... and it shouldn't cost more than a few bucks.

On both rifles, I have a Nikon 1.5-5x20 scope (mainly for use when hunting from a tree stand in low light) but they're both in sight-thru mounts so I can use the peep sights also. I have both set on 2X, and hardly ever change them... but shots at deer over 75 yds are extremely rare around here. The Nikons have a bit more eye-relief than other brands I have tried, and the small size of a 1.5-5 X 20 doesn't ruin the balance of the rifles.

I hunt where the likelyhood of having snow on the ground during gun season is about 95%, and the cover is heavy. That mixture is a recipe for disaster with a scoped rifle.... even with scope caps and good quality scopes, Murphy's Law always wins, and your scope will be fogged or full of snow whenever you need it the most. By having both a low power scope (excellant for low-light periods, like early morning and late afternoon) and a peep sight for fast target aquisition, you can have both options.

11. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

does the scope stay centerd w/that set up? i've heard that those see through mounts don't hold zero, and also that they are hard to use b/c they raise the scope so much...
    thanks
    josh

12. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

My see-thru mounts have never come loose, nor have they ever lost zero. With standard bases & rings, you have 3 areas that must stay tight... ring base to gun, scope-ring to ring base, and scope ring to scope. With the see-thru mounts you only have 2 things to worry about coming loose... the rings clamped to the base - probably the thing that comes loose most often - is eliminated. When installing the see-thru mounts, use some blue Loc-tite.

As for raising the scope up higher, this is true to some extent. But scopes with large diameter objective lens (like 44-50mmm) are very popular now, because they have a wider field of vision at high magnification and gather more light. These huge objective lens require very high scope rings (usually as high or a little higher than see-thrus), so the bell of the scope will clear the barrel of the gun. These high rings also raise the line of sighting higher than "normal".... but that doesn't stop people from buying and using them. It's just a matter of getting used to it... that is if you are used to having a lower mounted scope. If you have no experience with either high or low, it won't matter.

13. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

ok i think i'll give it a try... but what power scope? i hear that a the adjustable power scopes aren't too good for the 30-30. what about a fixed 4x?