close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

30-30 Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by electro, Oct 24, 2002.

1. electro

electro

I'm going to be hunting whitetail deer in the Texas Hill Country area with a Marlin 30-30 lever action. The deer aren't very big where I'm going and I don't expect shots over 50 yards. Which weight bullet should I be using? Thanks for any advice.

2. 45/70 marlin

45/70 marlin

I prefer a good 170 grain bullet for use in a 30-30.The 170 seems to hit deer harder for quicker kills than the lighter bullets.The 150 grain bullets shoot a little flatter,but at ranges of 100 yards or less you can not tell the diffrence.

3. LOMAS

LOMAS

electro, I have only shot one deer, a 250lb mulie, with the 30-30. I used the Federal 150gr spfn. Heart/lung shot at 80 yards, he staggered sideways a few feet and went down. The bullet did not exit and was not recovered. I think either bullet weight is plenty for deer, assuming proper shot placement. I wish you well on your hunt, the Hill Country is beautiful.

4. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I agree with 45/70 Marlin... Being a Texan, i can tell you that the 170, is probably the first choice, and as 45/70 said, the 150 will shoot some what flatter. either one will do the job, if you use proper shot placement, and watch your 'range.'

Just put the bullet where it needs to go!

Marlin 30-30 is a good gun. Mine without a scope will hold all shots in a 4" circle at 100 yds.. for my eye sight, that's good enough.

Cruising GT tonight out of sheer bordem!

CanyonMan

5. Islander-11

Islander-11 Meat detective

Electro - I can't add any advice as all our deer hunting out on the island is done with bows, shotguns or black powder, but I do want to say I'm envious of you folks who get to hunt the Texas hills. I hope all of you will post as the season goes on!

BTW, I have a lever-action Marlin 30-30. I love the gun but I'm pretty sure that's because I grew up watching Chuck Conners in "The Rifleman"...