close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

30-30 accuracy at how many yards?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sleeperj21, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Sleeperj21

Sleeperj21

I sold my trusty 270 win and all I have for deer hunting is my 30-30 marlin open sights. I dont have a scope for it yet and wont have time to get one befor this weekend and my stand over looks an open field 500+ yards. So my quiestion is should i stick with 180 gr bullets or get something a little lighter? And how far will the 30-30 shoot with out haveing to aim above the deerb4 shooting?

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

If it were me,I'd sight the gun for 100yrds,and not try anything beyond 150yrds.I'd stick with the heavier bullet weight for good broadside thru-the-shoulders shots.THe 30-30 lever gun is great for deer,but keep the ranges short if you can.:)

3. badhunter1234

badhunter1234

sleeper:

At 500 yards I'd aim about 8 feet high -- should put you pretty close. Just kidding! 150 is about right, you might stretch it to 175 but youre really starting to drop off the chart at that range.

4. Asus

Asus

I agree with the guys that have already posted. I too have a 30/30 Marlin except I have a 3X9 Bushnell trophy scope on her. I shoot 150Gr Remington Core lock. I agree that 150 Yards would be pushing it and that's the max I would go. Great gun, just doesn't have the range as a .270, .308 etc. If you are gonna hunt at 500 yards....either move in closer or....get another deer gun. Hope this helps and hope you get a big Buck--ASUS

5. vafish

vafish

If you don't have time to get a scope and sight in your rifle, you don't have time to try and see how a new load would work either.

I'd recommend you use whatever bullet your gun is sighted in with. If you don't have a chance to shoot it at a longer range and see what it can do you should at least get a ballistics table and see how much it will drop at various distances.

Also are you sure it is a 180 gr in a 30-30. The 2 most common weights for the 30-30 are the 150 and the 170. I find that both of them shoot very close to the same point of impact in my Marlin 30-30.

6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Let's see. I bet if we went to your deerstand and paced off 75 yards and placed an 8" paper plate there for you to hit, your odds are pretty good that you'd hit it. Maybe 3 out of 5 times?

Now, lets walk out to 150 yards and try the same thing. I bet you miss.

How about 100 yards? Maybe you hit 1 out of 5.

Think I'm crazy? Try it. Then shoot at what ever distance you can hit that paper plate 5 out of 5 times (shooting the same way you will shoot while deer hunting).

7. Sleeperj21

Sleeperj21

I used an actual deer target and was able to see it at 150yds with open sights. Now hitting the deer in a kill zone would be harder. Most of my shots from 150 were gut shots and I had 2 kill shots and 1 spinal shot. So you are right about the paper target thing

8. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

I recommend getting a marbles peep sight rather than a scope.

You lose too much of the balance and fast handling qualities of the lever rifle by mounting a scope.

9. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

Amen. 30-30's were never meant to be scoped. I am by no means a sharpshooter but I can put three in a quarter with my open sighted Model 94 at 50 yrds. At a hundred it's about a CD/DVD, both would easily drop a deer. 100-150 would be pushing it, for me anyway, so it would have to be a perfect situation. Now, if I think I may be hunting an area where I have a shot any further than that I'm not hunting with my 30-30 anymore.

10. vafish

vafish

I have an 11 year old son that I took to the range a couple of weeks ago. With a Marlin 30-30 and a 3-9x Scope set a 3X he had 3 out of 5 on the 6" bullse eye shooting off hand at 100 yards.

Not disagreeing with your accuracy requirements. The paper plate standard is one I also reccomend. But I think you are short changeing iron sights quite a bit.

11. TexAg

TexAg

I agree with vafish, iron sights to 100 yards on a lever gun can be quite accurate. Even though I had to aim high sighting it in the other day, I put 4 out of 4 in a 6" zone at 100 yards (3 in a 4" area) with my Marlin 1894 in .45LC and I don't shoot it that often. But I do agree that you should be able to hit that paper plate if you are going hunting with that firearm.

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Vafish. Your 11 year old probably shoots good and has great eyes. But if you took that scope off, how would he shoot at 100 yards with typical iron sights?

TexAg, were you shooting off-hand and hitting 4 out of 4 on 6" at 100 yards with iron sights? It can be done. And if you were doing it, then I believe you are a very good shooter.

Generally I think 100 yards is too far for most to shoot accurately with iron sights and off-hand. 75 yards is more likely the limit. With a scope, they can probably go out to 150 yards. Again, that is a generalization. If you can shoot well at 300 yards, then go ahead. Just do the deer a favor and prove it to yourself first with shooting that simulates what you will actually be doing while hunting.

And, don't feel bad if your actual limit off-hand with iron sights turns out to be 50 yards. You have to hunt within your abilities. The deer don't care much about bragging, and probably would prefer not to be wounded.