close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

30.06 w/ Nikon Buckmaster and 150 grain silvertips.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Esox357, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Esox357

Esox357

Hey gang, I figured with deer season around the corner I wanted some advice. While sighting in my Savage 30.06 I found that my scope was mounted incorrectly. I returned to the place of purchase to find out that my scope a Bushnell (unsure of model) 3-9x40 elevation diopter fell off. So I purchased a Nikon Buckmaster to replace it. Are the Nikon scopes rugged and how do they compare to other scopes on the market in that price range. I dont know much about them. Any additional information good or bad is a plus. Also part II of this question is I am using 150 grain winchester silvertips which I am using for deer. Are they adequate in terms of expansion or should I use something else. Any experiences?

2. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I've never used Nikon scopes before. But, their binoculars are first rate. I would think that their scopes would be (first rate) too.

I've never been much of a fan of silver-tips for deer. I always thought they were better for bigger game - elk, moose, bear. I used them when I was a kid and had a .32 Win Speacial. The hard tip kept the bullets from deforming when loading and unloading my model 94.

I think I'd use Remington Power-points in 150 or 180 grain for deer.

Having said all that, a silver-tip throught the heart will get the job done.

3. sooner pete

sooner pete STOOPS FOR PRES

Nikon is a very good scope.My favorite hunting bullet is the 165 gr.nosler partition.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i've never owned one but my boss had one on his .300 win mag. it lasted him about a year, before something internal broke. not sure what it was but it rattled. i don't think it would be a great scope if you hunt hard or from horseback like he does. just too much bouncing around i guess.

5. tjpet

tjpet

Nikon makes a good scope. Clear and tough from what I've experienced. Silvertips are pretty thin jacketed nowadays and work fine on the deer/antelope class of BG.

6. hoagie55

hoagie55

You did just fine. Nikon is a good scope, and I have harvested several deer with Silver Tip ammo out of my 32 Winchester Special.

7. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

I had the same thing happen to my Bushnell 4-14x45 last week with my 7mm shooting a 150g bullet.

Today I was looking thru a 2.5-10x50 Swift w/ a 30mm tube. The image was razor sharp, and very bright from edge to edge.

http://www.moosegear.com/model.asp?PID=504

I just bought it even though I had already bought a Redfield 4-16x44 with a 1" tube last week. The Redfield is made in Japan and the image is pretty nice but not as bright as the Korean made Swift.

http://search.cartserver.com/search...ategory=Optics&maxhits=20&keywords=o01scoperd

I paid $200 for the Redfield and would sell it for $150 (s&h included)
    and may put it up for sale on eBay. I

8. SSC

SSC

In my opinion, Nikon makes the best scope for the money. I have had one on my Winchester featherweight 300 win-mag for some time. I use the Monarch series. The light trans is great. I like them more than my leupold vari X 3 scopes. The nikons are just plain brighter and clearer.

I prefer 165 fed premium loads for deer in my 30-06. Good down range numbers, retains its thump and doesn't drop as much as the silvertip. It also shoots into half inch groups at 100 yards. I have taken my share of deer with this load.

Regards, SSC

9. johnboy

johnboy Millennium Member

I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3x-9x on my Rem.700 30-06. I am very pleased with the scope. It is very clear, anti-fog, and gathers light very well. It has always held its zero for the 3-4 years that I have owned it.