Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NRA-Endow. Life
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking thru an old Sportsmans Guide crap rag earlier, and saw this little doodad that made it capable to shoot a .32 ACP out of a variety of .30 barrels.
Why, and how!??

If you need something that is low in noise, use a .22 lr or even short. Also, the bullet diameter on .32 acp is .312 to go thru a .308 pipe. I know there is only .004 difference, but .001 to .002 can make a huge difference in some cases. Who would risk their barrel to this? Even if it doesnt cause an over pressure situation due to being a weak pistol round, it could cause serious leading/copper deposits in the bore because of the amount of deformation of the bullet just to get down the barrel.

Just my thoughts
Rod

·
NRA Endowment
544 Posts
You're on the money! Wouldn't risk my barrels either!:dunno:

·
NRA-Endow. Life
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, its like a dummy .30-06 round that allows you to put a .32 acp cartridge it the back of it. It would be a single shot only situation.

Wait, now that I think of it, I am not sure I remember what the Pederson looked like!! But I do know that the Pederson was mag fed, not single shot.

Rod

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
have used one of these devices in my 303 british cal gun with good results. even in 308 cal barrel the difference between bullet diameter and bore diam with the low pressure 32acp is not going to give problems. there is even load data out there using 32 acp bullets with reduced charges in full length 30-06 cases.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
30-06 fires at 45,000 PSI plus. 32ACP is a lot less then that, under 30,000 IIRC. You won't get a 15,000 plus PSI jump from .004 bore diameter difference. I've been thinking of it for my Nagant rifle.

The Pedersen device used a chamber insert and a blow back bolt to accomplish converting the rifle. The original bolt was not used, which is why it was a repeating rifle instead of a single shot. The barrel, bolt, and magazine were all changed and adapted to fire the cartridge, this is just modifying the chamber.

I just looked it up. 30-06 has a max pressure of around 60k psi and 32 acp has a max pressure of under 25k.

·
NRA-Endow. Life
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only calibers it works for is .308, .303, & .30-06.
My .30-06 is a Browning A-Bolt that shoots great with the Sierra 150gr bullets I put down it. It is my main hunting rifle and quite accurate with my setup.
My .308 is a HK91. It is my heavy SHTF gun.

I wouldnt risk either barrels performance to shenanigans like this. My food and possibly my life may depend on them operating 100% without without having to worry about any possibility.

Even if I had a $100 mil-surp, I still wouldnt invest in this device because it is pointless. If you want low recoil and noise, there is a caliber for you - .22lr!!

Rod

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Sub-caliber or reduced power devices are a good idea. Those who go hunting and "happen" upon some small game either can carry a little .22 LR revolver/pistol, or they can shoot them with their rifle... if they put an appropriate round in their rifle. I currently use .311 diameter 165gr. hard-cast lead bullets in my .30-06 rifles with great success. In my scoped Remington 700, the reticule is a duplex. The bottom "crosshair" is of course thick till it comes to the taper. If you put the tip of the heavy crosshair on the target and pull the trigger, you get a nice, satisfying hit. Rabbits, squirrels, etc. out to 25-30 yds. are easy. A .32 ACP will not in any way present any sort of problem in a nominal .308 barrel. The FMJ design of the bullet will guarantee minimal meat damage. Marble's and other makers once offered a broad range of such sub-caliber devices. In this case, you would just insert the .32ACP round into the device and carry it in your coat pocket. When you needed to shoot a rabbit, partridge, whatever, you just extract your normal round, load the sub-caliber device and shoot. Zeroing is no big deal. Sight it at about 25 yds. or maybe less... whatever is the normal range you encounter small-game. It's a lot easier to carry a sub-caliber device and some ammo when on a extended hunt than to carry a extra .22 LR rifle. In my case, I usually have a S&W .22LR M-18 on my hip. But I always have about 5 of the above mentioned cast lead bullet handloads. The .32ACP sub-caliber device would be very good for those who don't handload.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've used these adapters for years. I have them in .30-30, .308, .303, and .30-06. I have never heard of any rifle being damaged by this. Back when you could get European surplus .32acp for $.06/rd, I bought several thousand rounds. It's great for squirrels and bunnies. From a rifle barrel, .32acp is pretty quiet. Much less noise than a .22lr.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts