close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

3 year old liars

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geronimo509, Mar 5, 2010.

1. geronimo509

geronimo509

My son is 3 and is lying about so many little things. For example, my Mom asked him how school was and he told her that he didn't go and I left him home alone while I went to class. Or he is doing something bad in his room and I ask him what he is doing and he says, "nothing".

He will have something in his hand he is not supposed to and when I call him on it, he puts it behind his back and says he doesn't have anything. Or I ask him if he cleaned his room and he says "yes" but when I say ok i'm going to look, he screams no don't look. Because he didn't clean up the mess.

It really pisses me off:steamed:

But he will tell the truth on so many other things that would be more than little, almost white lies, I DON'T understand.:dunno:

Oh, other than that and not being able to take no for an answer, he really is great!

2. Marc1956

Marc1956 CLM #66

He's just practicing for when he turns 13! Buckle up, Dad!

3. Gareth68

Gareth68

I don't remember 3 years old per se, but I do distinctly remember as a child being explicitly told that things would go a lot easier on me if I told the truth.

I think it was something along the lines of the grounding was punishment for the act, the belt was for lying about it.

4. geronimo509

geronimo509

I'm just thankful that I do not have a daughter. I know what girls lie to their parents about:whistling:

5. Street Fighter

Street Fighter Texas A&M '07

They just enjoy testing you........it never stops.:sigh:

6. geronimo509

geronimo509

I do that and he knows he should tell the truth and gets in trouble when he doesn't. It's like he is too smart for his own good and is figuring out what I will tolerate(not much, I'm really strict). it's like when he doesn't listen and I tell him I will spank him if he doesn't listen, he will just give me a look like "i'm not going to listen, so go ahead and spank me". I tell him one more time and when he doesn't listen I spank him and put him in timeout. He basically asks for the spanking.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Geronimo I think you're lying... :whistling:

8. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

That's exactly it. It'll stop about a year after he moves out and has his own kid.

9. TexasVine

TexasVine

I think the comment "Testing You" is correct. Believe it or not , kid like boundaries. It makes them feel safe. Let him know what your expectations and if he lies have a consequence and follow thru. Most parents will threaten with consequence and not give the consequence if there child breaks the rule. This is a major mistake in parenting. How you parent at this age will set the tone for how he will behave when he's in his teens. Also, make sure you lead by example! There's a lot of good books on parenting and they can be a great resources. Use them. We aren't born being a parent and a lot of us were not given ideal lessons to become one.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  10. geronimo509

geronimo509

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

He even told my dad that he jumps off the high part of the couch,"all the time" When he only jumps off the low part all the time.

I'm a stay at home single dad (23 years old) and I raise my son all day by myself so he does jump off the couch.. in fact I've been throwing him off the couch onto some pillows while I started this thread.

11. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

I distinctly remember the first time I was forthright with my parents when I was really young (over a broken window). I'm certain that when I was that age and probably a little older, I lied to cover my ***.

All growned up, I'm considered by my wife & some others to be one of the most honest & forthright people they know. It's not necessarily an indication that the kid is going to be a liar his entire life. He just needs to be instilled with the importance of honesty. A boot to the *** once in a while wouldn't hurt him! Good luck...

12. RioKid

RioKid

Be persistent but loving. He is testing you and will continue to do so,it is part of growing up. If this is your first child then you are both learning the grounds rules of childhood/parenthood. Try being his friend as well as being his dad. Good luck.:wavey:

13. geronimo509

geronimo509

Oh, I follow through with my threats(if that makes sense). He tells people all the time that I spank him. Then they ask him why and he says, I don't listen.

14. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

HE IS 3 YEAR OLD!!!! :rofl:

Explain to him that lying is bad. Don't yell, don't hit, just punish him every time he lies.

Its a phase, it will pass.

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You are probably to blame. Or the mom. Either way.

At 3 he's just story telling. By putting him on the spot of asking him questions in a "lie or don't lie" manner, he has no choice but to get his story telling intertwinned into something you consider more serious.

Instead, if he does something wrong, simply punish him in a time out (but don't let the Navy find out about it...another thread reference :rofl:).

You don't need to ask him if he did something. Just tell him he did it and that's why he's being punished.

But then give him another outlet for the story telling. Encourage him to make up stories about cartoon characters, imaginary friends, super heros, whatever.

My point is, you don't need to be asking him if he did something bad. You already know the answer, so what's the point of trying to put him on the spot about it?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  16. Gallium

Gallium CLM

My kid (older than yours) told me a whooper of a lie recently. It's the 1st time I recall the kid lying to me.

That night I asked them what they wanted for dessert. Their choices were "Friendlys" ice cream (chocolate munchy crunchy something) with sprinkles, Jamaican patties (mild), or icing covered cake.

I told them that MAYBE I'd even let them choose two small pieces from the three instead of just one piece.

They made their choices (this was right after dinner, 5pm). Come 7:30pm, I gave the younger lad (also older than your boy) his request - ice cream...two scoops, and the older liar, wanted one scoop of ice cream and a small slice of cake.

I put the ice cream + cake on the table, along with an 8 oz glass of water.

When they came down, I ate the ice cream and cake of the older kid, and gave him the water to drink for his dessert.

Of course mom thinks I fathered Hitler and Mussolini - but I kept a very straight face while proclaiming how delicious the snacks were. My sons was on the verge of tears, and asked where was his dessert, and why did I eat it, etc

I told him I lied when I said he could have dessert.

Message sunk in pretty damn well right there.

Your kid is still a bit young to reason with, so good luck! :)

'Drew

17. geronimo509

geronimo509

Well, I've been raising him by myself since he was three weeks old. so if there's something really wrong with him, it must be my fault..

Ever heard the saying, "there is not such thing as a bad kid, only bad parents." He's not really bad though, but he has his moments. Oh, he doesn't do that all the time, it's like he wakes up and says I'm going to make today really hard for Dad, or I'm going to be the most well behaved kid today.

The only thing that I could possibly blame on his mom is passing down her hardheadiness?? but I can be equally blamed for that. lol

18. geronimo509

geronimo509

That's a good one, I will have to try it someday. funny as hell, too :rofl:

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

No, this is normal. It's not your fault that it's happening. It'll be your fault if he believes it's acceptable behaviour in 5 years, though.

20. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Holy crap, that's mean.

Maybe effective, who knows. But mean :rofl: