Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Rational
14,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's some good information in this article that I didn't know about. Article was written a year ago.

http://www.guns.com/2015/09/23/3-reasons-i-wont-buy-remington-anymore/

I didn't know that one guy was mainly responsible for how bad Remington has become. Nor did I have any idea that Cerberus owned Chrystler.

This all came about as I was watching a review about the Remington R51 Gen 2 on YouTube from the MAC (Military Arms Channel). I'm a big fan of their channel, and I already knew about the numerous problems with that gun. But it sure is sobering to see just how bad that gun really is.

Why anyone in their right mind would spend money for this gun is beyond me. "It looks good" is just not a good enough excuse.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Since they moved from Connecticut to Alabama, I will be supporting them more.
I thought it was New York but perhaps i'm wrong. I purchased a R1 1911 that was one of the first made in Alabama and i must say i've been very pleased with this .45. This guns feeds everything,is very accurate and the fit,finish is very good for what i paid.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Connecticut has such a rich gun history. It's a shame what has become of the state and its once proud firearms manufacturing. Winchester, Marlin, Mossberg (Mossberg still exists) and Smith & Wesson just to name a few.

Eta: Remington left CT a long time ago. I think ammunition was the last to leave the state

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
I have an RM380 (built in Alabama). It's been a great little gun. First semi auto that my wife and sister could rack reliably.

I really wanted a R51, but didn't move fast enough, to miss the recall. I still like the gun; but this time I'll wait to make sure all the problems are gone. If the problems are resolved, then what's the problem buying a trouble free gun?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have never purchased a new Remington firearm. I have owned a Wingmaster Model 870, a Fieldmaster .22 rifle and a Model 512 .22 rifle.

All were excellent firearms.

If the latest incarnation of the R51 proves to be reliable, then I will give it a look because I like the concept and design of the weapon. If not, I'll pass.

Reactions: dudel

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
A friend of mine has been a gunsmith for years, I have been amazed at the number of brand new guns that don't function. It seems to be spread across most popular makes.

We have a farm store that sells guns (at good prices, usually) but once you buy one from them, they won't let you bring it back for any reason...........like not working........it is getting to be a crazy world

·
M62/76
12,359 Posts
I've purchased two 870s in the past 6 years from them and have had both duracoated as they'd both rust (after cleaning and oiling)...with the green park-looking finish. Needless to say I won't be buying any new Remingtons.

·
GTDS
4,549 Posts
THANKS
There's some good information in this article that I didn't know about. Article was written a year ago.

http://www.guns.com/2015/09/23/3-reasons-i-wont-buy-remington-anymore/

I didn't know that one guy was mainly responsible for how bad Remington has become. Nor did I have any idea that Cerberus owned Chrystler.

This all came about as I was watching a review about the Remington R51 Gen 2 on YouTube from the MAC (Military Arms Channel). I'm a big fan of their channel, and I already knew about the numerous problems with that gun. But it sure is sobering to see just how bad that gun really is.

Why anyone in their right mind would spend money for this gun is beyond me. "It looks good" is just not a good enough excuse.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Oh, I forgot about the Nylon 66 .22 I owned.

Another excellent Remington product.

Maybe Big Green will finally get it together. If so, I will look at Remington again.

·
Banned
4,850 Posts
As a resident of the Konstitution State, I fully support your decision.

I have an 1100 and it's been spectacular. It was made in 1971, though.

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,313 Posts
My Remington 700 is my favorite rifle. I can hit a nickle with it at 100 yds.

Reactions: Current Resident

·
Brew Crew
28,966 Posts
My uncle has a gorgeous Remington 1100 12 gauge and a beautiful 700 270 win (I think it's a BDL) both made back in the day. I've shot clays with the 1100 and shot my first deer with the 270. Both of them are pieces of art IMO and smooth as glass.

Shopping for a new bolt rifle last year I played with various stuff, one of them was a new 700 with some fake looking laminated wood and the worst damn trigger I've ever felt on a bolt gun. The bolt was sloppy and felt like hell.

Face palm.... They screwed that up. Order abother weatherby and have been a happy camper. I've got dibs on the old 1100 and 700 though. :supergrin:

·
Banned
12,203 Posts

·
Am Yisrael Chai
34,827 Posts
"Latest News Flash" - S&W was sold too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,550 Posts
Connecticut has such a rich gun history. It's a shame what has become of the state and its once proud firearms manufacturing. Winchester, Marlin, Mossberg (Mossberg still exists) and Smith & Wesson just to name a few.

Eta: Remington left CT a long time ago. I think ammunition was the last to leave the state
Looks like they moved majority of manufacturing out of state in 1970, leaving completely in 1988.

This was their original Bridgeport building, built in 1915 in 12 months. Sold to GE in 1920

This was what the ammo plant in Bridgeport used to look like

And what it looked like just before they tore it down.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts