close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

3 quail + 2 squirrels = lunch

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Feb 5, 2006.

1. noway

noway

When out for squirrels and coons came back 1with just 2 but found some quail today. I shot about 5 but was only able to retrieve 3 :(

I'm getting the crockpot ready for this next weekend and play on a quail/squirrel soup in vegetable broth ;)

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

What time do we eat?
    You have been one busy guy this past hunting season, fro deer to quail.

Now it's time for you to start practising with the bow for this fall :) BTW, I bet you got some great places around there to bow fish don't ya?

I have always lived 'where all we have' is an old slough, or creek to just shoot carp for fun, and to kinda clean up the ponds a little.

Good Job Noway!

CanyonMan

3. punkture

punkture

I bet noway would really like that - we all show up at his door - hungry and looking for a place to sleep. :) In the next month or so, we're probably going to be taking the boat down to LA to bowhunt redfish and gator gar. Fun times will definitely be had.

4. noway

noway

Lunch, will be served 12:01 EST this sat, but I can't promise you any would be left if you do get here ;)

{ Now it's time for you to start practising with the bow for this fall BTW, I bet you got some great places around there to bow fish don't ya? }

Actually I did do some bow target shooting with that new bear takedown. Lost 2 arrows and found out the hard way that the heated "glue stick" does not hold the plastic knocks as good as gorilla glue. If it ( bear-t/d ) wasn't 70" long I would hunt with it and if I could get rid of the awfull klunk on release it would be a fine bow ;)

As far as bowfishing, not sure on if it's legal in FLA-freshwater for game fishes, but I do know non-game fishes it's legal. Alot of people go out to the Bahamas and upper Keys and hunt the stingray on manatay ( not sure which is which ) w/bows outfitted for bowfishing.

I wish I could have gotten the other quail that I shot, To bad the grass, brush and just ground clutter is so thick in these parts. Took me about 10mins just to find one bird and yes as soon as they hit the ground dem quail looks just like da soil ;)

I will be back again next weekend to run squirrels. so hopefully I have more meat to fill a crock pot.

5. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nice going noway.

I'm not much for tree-rat but I loves quail - mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Yep the plane old super glue is what i use, and has always held them with no problem. I bought a bottle of the gorilla glue a few weeks ago, but have not used it as yet... let me know how it works for ya. I actually got it to use on "some parts" of my knife making projects.

Well i won't be able to make to FL. for supper. Maybe we can get together this spring for a Turkey hunt out here on the ranch! ;)

Later my friend

CanyonMan

7. collim1

collim1 Because Alexa said so!

Congrats, both of those squirrels look like headshots. Good shootin'

I grew up squirrel hunting, and only have 20 days left in AL to bag a few more.

8. noway

noway

{both of those squirrels look like headshots}

Nope they are actually body shot with a shotgun. It's all on what size you use and how much lead. These where killed with a light 7/8oz load of #5.5 nickelplate birdshot, from a 12ga ;)

The bigger shot and less of them doesn't tear the meat up nor requires a lot of picking out of birdshot from a small game animals. The nickelplated also fully penetrate them with ease.

9. noway

noway

here's some more meat for the grill and crockpot. I did an all day of squirrel hunting and took daily bag limit of 12 squirrels and only 2 quails. It was one nice day with plenty of activity and plenty of shooting ;)

10. noway

noway

the last 3 of the day..... I had to take a break.

11. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

Hey there Noway. Update on the G29... I upgraded the ejector from the 4340 to the 8196-2 (if I have my numbers right). That should solve the occasional FTE that I was having. Otherwise she's great and sleeping well. ;f

Nice shooting. I've never had squirrel. I like venison and even duck. Don't care too much for quail. You think I'd like squirrel?

:cool:

12. noway

noway

Don't know if you would like dem or not ;) They sure as hell makes for great hunting.

if you like darkish meat that more closer to a chicken thigh, then you will like squirrel. I haven't meet one person that has had squirrel and complain about it.

Personally, I'll take a butterfly'd quail anything of the week;)

13. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

Hmm, interesting. By the way, I left you feedback on the Smart Shopper forum. It's the least I could do, right?

14. noway

noway

15. noway

noway

and more goodies for the crock pot ;)

I'm also passing on a creamy squirrel soup with broccoli

8 squirrels

3 sticks of celery chopped
    a whole bunch of broccolli seperate and cut
    2tsp white pepper
    a pinch of salt
    2 garlic clove crushed
    2 30oz of creamy soup broth or enough to cover the meat ane veggies
    1 cup of wild rice

Clean squirrels and quarter them down. I like to cut both thighs off, then the short backstraps section behind the ribs and remove the side meat and then snap the ribs. I don't bother with the front legs ( not enough meat to mess with ) but add them if you have them.

Once the squirrels parts are cleaned, de-birdshot, de-hair'd and get dem ready to go, add them to the crock pot with creamy soup mix along with 2 tsp of white peppper or cracked blackpepper if you can't find the white stuff. (The white pepper will keep the soup mix from getting a blacken look). Also add the crucshed garlic

Cook on low heat for about 4 hours stirring ocassionly.

Once the meat has started to get tender and you can pull the meat off the bones, do so ;) And discard the bones. Add the clery and broccolli and cook for a remainder 2.5hrs or until the veggies are soft but not mushy.

bon apetit

fwiw: It helps to chill the squirrels on ice for about 24hrs plus to remove all blood. Make sure you trim any bloodshot areas and remove any lead or steel shot ;)

I 'll post pictures of the finish product when I get done cookin. I was able to get some smallish baby squirrels so I hopin they would be very good tasting.