close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

3 motherboards, 4 video cards, 2 power supplies, and 2 paid computer techs

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by dave5339, Feb 20, 2006.

1. dave5339

dave5339

Well I finally have a computer that runs! I'll spare you the long version of the horror stories, if you really want to read them just look for my posts here in Tech Talk.

I've been battling a TigerDirect parts build since early December and had nothing but problems. First there was the dead motherboard, (#1). Then after they sent a new board, (#2) there was the video error from h*ll.

After building the second board and not getting it to even post I took it into a computer repair shop. They fixed my mistake, (not setting the cpu fan on correctly) and finished the assembly and insallation of windows. The only issue they ran into was a video error. They swore that the error would only be there if I did video capture. I must be doing a lot of video capture using Quicken, surfing via Firefox and playing games...;Q

This problem was diagnosed as a bad power supply by our tech gurus here but silly me I thought it was the video card. I ordered a new card, (#2) no joy. I bought another card retail, (#3) but still no joy.

I finally listened to the gurus here who were SCREAMING it's a power supply and bought an Antec TruePower 480. I thought that would fix my problem, initially it looked like it was going to, then the problem came back worse again. At this point the computer was virtually unusable.

I took the computer into shop #2, (if we can't fix it there is no charge!) In two weeks and yet another video card, (#4) they still could not fix it. Their lead tech wants me to let him know what I did to fix it.

At this point I really wanted to load up my Browning A-5 and dump 5 rounds of buckshot through the d*mned thing but I decided not to.

I picked up another motherboard, (Abit AG8-V) (#3) from ZipZoomFly and another 1GB of ram.

Eureka it works with video card #4!

Best guess was that the Northbridge 915 (graphics?) chipset on the MSI board was either overheating or just plain messed up.

The moral of the story? Stay far away from TigerDirect, they were the source of all my problem parts.

Semper Fi

2. Jwickersham

Jwickersham

Sorry to hear that you had so many problems, but I have been buying components from TigerDirect for over 10 years and never had a problem with any of thier parts.

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I have always heard horror stories about tigerdirect so I always use newegg and zipzoomfly. I am just glad you finally got that thing to working ;)

4. mattyk6

mattyk6

How was your problem with Tiger Direct? It sounds like it was with the MSI motherboard.

5. dave5339

dave5339

The problem I ran into with Tiger Direct was that most, not all of their parts came up DOA. The first ASUS board was dead, the MSI board was defective, and an GForce 6600 card came in dead.

Not a great average in my books. Of course your experience may be entirely different. Personally, I'm not dealing with them again. Except to see about the return of a motherboard and video card.

Semper Fi

6. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Tiger Dirct used to "pre-register" my software as a "service" to me. And what if I was going to resell that software package they so kindly "pre-registered" to MY NAME! Idiots!

[​IMG]:soap: ;P :steamed: ;6 ;B ;5 ;n ^2

7. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

they advertise products they do not possess. and never intend to possess.

the example is a full tower server case with a (variously) 450-500 watt power supply.

this is has been advertised in their catalog for 5 years.

it never existed. it still doesn't.

it's listed at 69.95 (or .99, i forget) and i've tried to buy it 10 times.

i've CALLED, repeatedly.. and it 'isn't in stock' . .

now, after 5 years i call that a lie. scuse me? it'd be a lie if I was tellin it.

now, dishonorable. aren't any 5 year catalog mistakes. that's on purpose.

so, if you buy from dishonorable people and you don't get stung, it was a mistake on their part. they're dishonorable and incompetent.

it's always nice to know what you're dealing with. ;g

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Been using Tigerdirect for ages....

1 minor problem a couple years ago was promptly fixed.

IGF

9. Toyman

Toyman

Do you know what the letters ESD mean?

10. dave5339

dave5339

ESD, could me a lot of things. But nothing is coming to mind currently.

Semper Fi

11. njl

njl

:)

I was thinking, maybe Dave builds computers while sitting on the carpet wearing courdoroys and wool socks, or maybe he just lives in Silicon Hell. It's pretty unusual to have that many parts DOA...and Asus is usually pretty good stuff.

12. dave5339

dave5339

98% of the build was done with a ground strap on. Yea I forgot a time or two but not that often.

And yea ESD MAY have been an issue on a gig of ram.

Semper Fi

13. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I wouldn't be surprised if the old PSU was pushing too much on one (or more) rails, thus blowing the components that were attached to it.

Wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

Glad you finally got it, Dave. Now, go have fun with it!

BTW, in over 1,000 builds I have RMA'ed about 6 MOBOs--NONE of the Asus.

14. Dandapani

Dandapani