Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am scheduled for my first GSSF match. Do I need a third mag to compete?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
you really should have 4 mags with you... you need to be concentrating on shooting the gun and not have to worry about whether your 12 year old son (or some old guy who was standing nearby and volunteered) who is loading your spare mag for you got all 10 rounds in, or if he put 9mm ammo in your 40 cal mag.

I feel that bringing 2 or 3 mags and having someone load empty's for you <s> rarely works out very well </s> is a distraction (that you can easily / cheaply avoid)

if you are a friend of mine showing up at a match I would bring extra mags for you to borrow...... but only because Im putting your name (mine too) down on the new shooter / bring a friend drawing.

and then I would ***** at you for months to buy a couple extra mags of your own.

·
HOOYA DEEPSEA
4,285 Posts
I don't think anyone minds waiting for you to reload that fourth mag at the plates. Four mags would be nice but three will suffice. You maybe able to find someone beforehand to reload that first mag you shoot at the plates and it shouldn't interfear with your shooting od the plates too much.

Sometimes we have to wait for shooters to shoot through 3 comps before the next shooter gets up. That in itself isn't bad so someone reloading a mag shouldn't be a problem. Now, if ya had to reload that mag three times, that might be an issue.

Some folks borrow/swap mags too, whatever helps make people get through is the key here...

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I am for 4 mags loaded and ready at the Plates. Whether you borrowed the mags from a friend right there at the shoot or own them outright.

I shot for the first time this weekend at Waldorf and made a rookie mistake of just loading three mags for the plates. I thought I just needed three. When the RO told me I need one more mag to finish, it broke my concentration. On my first three mags I was able to put the plates down by my 7th or 9th round. After I loaded my fourth mag and continued shooting, one plate was still up after my last round.

Have fun and enjoy your shoot.

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
I agree with the "have 4 mags with you" group.

GlockParts.com has both 10-round and 17-round mags available (for the 9mm pistols), same price too. So you can have 17-round mags for the same $27 you'd pay for 10-round mags. They have fairly cheap shipping too, compared to other sites.

No sense holding others up to reload when you can just have everything ready when you step up to the line.

·
5,227 Posts
I fully agree with the "4 mag minimum group". This not only keeps the match running smoother but as "Alcoy" said in his first match experience, having to stop and reload a mag in the middle of a stage can mess up your concentration. Even better yet is to have 5 mags and mark one of them and use it as a stripper mag. Since you are allowed to have 11 rounds loaded ( 10 in the mag and 1 in the chamber), this really helps smooth out your shooting. The 11 rounds loaded total doesn't apply to MajSub but does for all other categories. So I highly recommend that you do yourself and your shooting friends a big favor and either purchase or borrow enough mags so that you have a minimum of 4 and 5 if possible. This way you can relax and enjoy the full experience of shooting a GSSF Match without unnecessary concentration breakers.

Don

·
Crusty Member
10,827 Posts
If at all possible, show up with at least 4 mags. A lot of the people who really get into GSSF end up buying enough mags to shoot the entire match without reloading.

Having 4 mags is the minimum you need to keep things moving smoothly through all the stages. If you think you might run dry due to misses, a 5th "loader mag" is nice, or if your mags are >10 rounders, just load them all to 11 and remember to strip off a round before using if you reload with a full chamber between strings during a stage.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Besides, when the zombies show up you are going to be grateful for every mag you can lay your hands on!

·
just me
8,190 Posts
If at all possible, show up with at least 4 mags. A lot of the people who really get into GSSF end up buying enough mags to shoot the entire match without reloading.

Having 4 mags is the minimum you need to keep things moving smoothly through all the stages. If you think you might run dry due to misses, a 5th "loader mag" is nice, or if your mags are >10 rounders, just load them all to 11 and remember to strip off a round before using if you reload with a full chamber between strings during a stage.
10 round mag how do you put 11 rounds in it ? :whistling:

·
Registered
10,103 Posts
a barney?

insert mag, load one.

take the 10 round out and add one more to it.

Reinsert.

That's why we use 5.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
10 round mag how do you put 11 rounds in it ? :whistling:
Steve, I guess you did not see the > in front of his 10 (means "greater than").

He was not talking about 10 rounders.

·
Crusty Member
10,827 Posts
Well...if you file down the follower legs and push real hard.... :)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Put a "+2" extender on a 10 round mag and it will hold 12 in 9mm, and 11 in most other calibers.

Easier just to buy full-cap mags if you don't live in one of the few states that still ban them.

·
Registered
10,103 Posts
you mean like next month in Joisey?

·
Nagant-ophile
1,517 Posts
Put a "+2" extender on a 10 round mag and it will hold 12 in 9mm, and 11 in most other calibers.

Easier just to buy full-cap mags if you don't live in one of the few states that still ban them.
I thought that the +2s didn't work with the 10rd mags based on the internal design (to prevent them from ever being modified to hold more than 10 rounds). :dunno:

·
Crusty Member
10,827 Posts
It depends. Mags that have a natural capacity of 10 or less (i.e. G26 10 round mags, G27/33 9 round mags) can use Glock +2 floorplates to increase capacity. The 10 round mags designed to satisfy "hi-cap bans" for models that were designed to use >10 round mags don't work with +2's AFAIK.

·
Premium Member
8,024 Posts
It depends. Mags that have a natural capacity of 10 or less (i.e. G26 10 round mags, G27/33 9 round mags) can use Glock +2 floorplates to increase capacity. The 10 round mags designed to satisfy "hi-cap bans" for models that were designed to use >10 round mags don't work with +2's AFAIK.
It was mentioned in the armorer's class that you should switch to the stronger spring if you use a +2 extension. I was just curious if you did that and if you had any feeding problems if you didn't.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts