close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

3 Gun with non-tacticool firearms?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Foxtrotx1, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Wanted to get into 3 gun but my 3 gun combo as of now would consist of a winchester 1200 30 inch, M1A Loaded, and my G34. Maybe even the mosin :p. Is this allowed? just looking to have fun, not to win the matches. In my defense, the 30 inch shotty with full choke patterns like a dream....:whistling:
    Anyone else used non blackguns for these matches?

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Those would fit in fine at my local matches - these are big turn-out matches with master and GM shooters. Some guys - usually the more experienced shooters - have shown up with anything from M1 carbines to Winchester model 12s and plenty of revolvers. "Tacticool" isn't very highly respected among actual shooters and, in fact, a lot of it is discouraged (see, e.g., USPSA/IPSC's rule against wearing military clothing and such (rule 5.3.1)). Most people shoot AR-15's, but your SA is "major" and they are "minor" so you aren't competing against them. M1A's are not very uncommon - maybe 1 or 2 per match.

I have used an AR, Remington 870 Expresss and Glock 17 or 34 or 22 many times and did OK. I now have a Remington 1100 for a little more speed, but the longer barrel and magazine capacity are the bigger advantages - you can have up to a 9 round magazine, so barrels often go out to 22-24 inches or else magazines are sometimes longer than the barrel.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010

3. homeyclaus

homeyclaus

+1 on no need to be tacticool. In fact, what makes good times in 3 gun is keeping stuff as simple as possible. There is just no need for chest rig and all sorts of fancy stuff, because it's slower, and you just don't need that much ammo. I have seen people place very well even if they keep their spare rifle mag in their rear jeans pocket.

You need a good holster that you can re-holster to, safely, a means of retaining enough 12 ga shells for a stage, and one, perhaps two mag holders, since most stages won't exceed 40 shots (which keeps the mag changes the same for 20 and 30 round mag users).

If I was going to run an M1A (and I want to) in 3 gun, I'd go all out with a .45 pistol and pump shotgun, and go in the "heavy metal" classification.

4. Singlestack Wonder

Singlestack Wonder

"Tacticool" is a slang term used by USPSA which is an organization with no clue as to the tactical and defensive use of firearms. I recommend attending a 3-gun match such as Larue Tactical's 2010 Multi-Gun match. There you can shoot and observe individuals who have truly seen the "SHTF" and the and learn a lot rather than going to a match where competitors stand in the open while engaging multiple targets. At these matches, competitors can wear any garb they feel necessary to feel comfortable as well as provide support for the arms and equipment they are using that day.

Here's the announcement:

[​IMG]

Equipment rules (Notice the part about "No Lolly Gagg'in" or "No Sniveling".

[​IMG]

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

I am a 3-Gun Match director and your gear is fine. The cost of .308 would be my biggest concern for you but as long as you can keep them fed go for it. If your shotgun tube only holds 4-5 rounds you will be loosing some ground to other shotgunners.

I have shot my 3-Gun match with the following rifles. AR15 (.223 and 9mm), M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and M1A. I have an AK and a Tommy Gun yet to make their debut.

For shotgun I run a 870 or 590.

Get out and shoot. You can always change your gear once you get hooked.

6. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Nothing wrong with that.
    Variety is half of what makes guns and shooters interesting.

7. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

half your stuff is black rifle gear,

a glock and a mag fed 308 ..

and a shotgun with a long barrel,

get a short barrel and some black furniture and youll pretty well match everyone there

8. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Nah my I think a wood stock on an M1a exempts it from the black gun category. Anyone know a good place to get a CQB rear aperture for the M1A? And for that matter, can my NM Aptr. be switched out for a wide one in a jiff?

9. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

Get a USGI rear sight from E gun parts corp.

It's real easy to switch the rear sights out once you have it figured out.

10. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

On the question of a .45....bad idea to reload .45 for a glock? or is it just dummies who get the blowouts in glocks? Is the glock 30 big enough to use as a 3 gun pistol?

11. Jon_R

Jon_R

I don't know of any issues with reloading jacketed ammo for .45 caliber Glocks. Keep the load within specs (pressure) and you should be fine.

If a G30 is big enough is hard to say. It depends on the typical course of fire at the matches you want to attend and your skill level. I would consider it a less competitive pistol then average. Most COF if you can hit COM at 30 Yards on a USPSA or IDPA target and hit a 8" plate at about 25 yards then you are good. Most COF won't have targets harder then that but they could. If they have their own rules they can do anything they want. It also depends on how the divisions are structured. If anything goes and there is one division then you will likely be running against dual stack 5" barreled 9s or .38 supers, using red-dots, comps, and 30 round magazines. If a G30 is what you have run it and then decide if you want to get more or different gear.