3 dead, 1 hurt in shooting at University of Alabama-Huntsville campus

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RussP, Feb 12, 2010.

1. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

3 Dead in Shooting at U. of Alabama-Huntsville

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=9823153

Spokesman: 3 dead, 1 hurt in shooting at University of Alabama-Huntsville campus

The Associated Press

HUNTSVILLE, Ala.

Officials at the University of Alabama's Huntsville campus say three people have been killed and another injured in a campus shooting.University spokesman Ray Garner says a woman is in custody but he could not identify her or any of the victims.
    The shooting happened Friday afternoon in the university's Shelby Center, a science building. University police secured the building and students were cleared from it.

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Sweet Jesus,........please be with the ones lost today. :crying:

3. randyc74

randyc74 Custom Holster Maker

Another tragedy at the hands of a nut job. I wonder if Bama is a gun free zone?

4. mechanica

mechanica Texazonan.

Another reason I want CCW on my campus. May God be with those that have suffered.

5. 69stingray

69stingray 427 ci

This is two Fridays in a row for our area.

Reports are still sketchy but I'm hearing that a staff member may have been the shooter today upset over not getting her tenure.

6. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Did the shooter have a CHL?

7. acpd442

acpd442

As a LEO and full time college student this really sucks. Right now I don't carry while in class because my P220 is to big. Should be getting my refund from school pretty soon. First thing I'm getting is a new BUG/OFF Duty piece. Had to sell Taurus M85 last year due to the economy. My only problem is should I get the new Taurus 856 snubbie or the Glock 36? Prayers to those affected.

8. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

NBC just reported the shooter was a woman.

9. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

How many times do we have to see this happen before people are allowed to defend themselves?

Fox news is reporting that the shooter is a faculty member trained at Harvard. Her husband is also in custody. All the dead are faculty, not students.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  10. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

You know that's not going to be the case. It's going to simply be tighter restrictions on guns near schools and campuses. And higher penalties if caught with one.

11. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

3 shot dead at University of Alabama's Huntsville campus

NEWSCORE

Last Updated: 6:40 PM, February 12, 2010

Posted: 5:45 PM, February 12, 2010

A woman is in custody after three people were shot dead at the University of Alabama's Huntsville campus about 4 p.m. Friday, according to reports

It has been suggested that the shooting followed a professor being denied tenure at the university.

A spokesperson at the Huntsville Hospital confirmed that two men and one woman had been taken there for treatment - with two of those patients in a critical condition.

A school spokesperson confirmed the three fatalities and said the shooter was in custody

Police are still searching the floors of the Shelby Center at UAH to make sure the building is secure. The center - named for Republican Sen. Richard Shelby - was opened in 2007 and contains teaching and research labs, classrooms, auditoriums and offices.

A 911 call indicated as many as 10 people may have been shot at the center by a woman in her 30s wearing a pink sweater, The Huntsville Times said. WHNT suggested the woman's husband may have been involved.

Erin Johnson, a sophomore and a student aide, told the Times there was a biology faculty meeting underway when she heard screams coming from the room

The victims were believed to be faculty members.

The Huntsville campus, approximately 85 miles north of Birmingham, has about 7,500 students in northern Alabama, not far from the Tennessee line.

AFP contributed to this report.

12. OLEDAVE

OLEDAVE What you said?

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/biology_professor_accused_in_u.htmlUniversity of Alabama in Huntsville biology professor in custody regarding deadly shooting at faculty meeting

By Patricia C. McCarter

February 12, 2010, 5:45PM

[​IMG]View full sizeBob Gathany / The Huntsville TimesShooting suspect Amy Bishop is taken into custody. She has not been charged with a crime.HUNTSVILLE, AL -- A biology professor is in custody in connection with three fatal shootings on the University of Alabama in Huntsville campus Friday afternoon, according to a UAH official.
    Dr. Amy Bishop, a Harvard-University trained neuroscientist, was taken into custody, and her husband has been detained. They have not been charged with a crime.
    According to police, three people were killed and three were wounded when the shooter opened fire during a biology faculty meeting on the third floor of the Shelby Center for Science and Technology. The three injured people are being treated at Huntsville Hospital.
    In June 2006, The Times published a story involving Bishop, biology professor and her husband, Jim Anderson, chief science officer of Cherokee Labsystems in Huntsville.
    Bishop is quoted in the story as co-inventor of "InQ," a new cell growth incubator which promised to cut the costs, size and maintenance involved in the mechanics of cell generation.

13. Ironbar

Ironbar

The University of Alabama has a strict policy that prohibits posession or display of weapons or other dangerous objects that may be used to harm others.

(View the policy here: http://hr.ua.edu/empl_rel/policy-manual/campus-violence.htm)

Boy, it sure is a good thing they have that policy in place so nobody will get hurt!

14. G26Okie

G26Okie

Yeah right, I really don't understand the thinking behind those policies, and when a tragedy like this occurs, they only strengthen them. When will they realize THAT THE GOD DAM PERSON THAT IS GOING TO SHOOT UP A FEW PEOPLE DOESN'T GIVE A **** ABOUT THE ****ING ANTI-WEAPON POLICY as they are either going to kill themselves or go away for life/dp anyway.

Not saying anyone in the room/surrounding area having a firearm would have prevented this. At least there are quite a few commentators on the article that have some common sense.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  15. zbusdriver

zbusdriver

i've said it before and i'll say it again:

the simple minded act of declaring a gun-free zone – doesn’t make it so!

16. Oramac

Oramac

what is sad, imo, is the total lack of surprise we're all showing, and, besides prayers for the lost, a complete lack of sympathy.

its like we're all becoming numb to it. THAT is just sad.

but even worse is it could all have been prevented or reduced by simply allowing people their right to defense.

17. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

My prayers for the victims and their families... and to lawmakers for wisdom in understanding how to confront evil.

18. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Unfortunately, you're probably right. What do they say about the definition of stupidity? Repeating the same activities that don't work?

19. Ironbar

Ironbar

Stupidity can be definied as doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result each time.

20. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    There has actually been some positive signs the past year plus.

IIRC there have been several news articles about entities considering the issue of allowing CCW permit holders to carry on campus.

Has it happened yet? No, but this is the first I can recall of it being discussed, not outright dismissed.

jmho