close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

3-Centerfire Rifle Battery For Hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by CCF, Feb 23, 2006.

1. CCF

CCF

This is a takeoff of my other thread ('Which Three Centerfire Rifle Calibers For Hunting?'). The idea in that thread was to use a 3-rifle battery for all North American game, but I wanted to kinda go in a different direction with this thread (more about theory). The three centerfires will be backed up by my "all-around" 12-guage shotgun, a .22 rifle, & a 9mm high-cap pistol.

From the great responses in the other thread & my own limited knowledge, I'm beginning to believe a 3-rifle battery (more or less a small bore, medium bore, & big bore) should be anchored by a versatile medium bore like a .30-06, the small bore should be really small (like a .204 Ruger), & the big bore should be really big (I'm not familiar enough with them to even confidentally name an example, but maybe a .415 Rigby?). Does anyone agree with that theory?

Keep in mind I'm essentially a beginner & I've learned what I know mostly by reading, not experience. That said, I want to make hunting my main hobby for the rest of my life & when I decide on a hobby, I go all out. Anyway, I have a few questions. What is the basic difference in the magnum calibers? Are they mainly for longer ranges? Are they versatile? How would you compare the 300 Win Mag to the 30-06 for the medium-bore gun? Can you load the 300 Win Mag from light to heavy like you can the 30-06 (factory loads, not sure if I'll get into handloading)? I really appreciate any help I can get. :)

2. Hoingshiba

Hoingshiba willhunt4food

I dunno either, but I doubt there is any north american game that warrants needing a rigby. I would say that your "medium" rifle would be tending toward the medium/large section. I would say something along the lines of a .204/.223 (even 30-30?) then to the .270/.30-06, and round off the top end with a Magnum of some sortmaybe even another .30 caliber?.... All this is to say, a rigby is a lot of gun.

3. CCF

CCF

LOL. I'm sure you're right. Maybe the big bore should be a .375 H&H?

4. Hoingshiba

Hoingshiba willhunt4food

I haven't shot much of the large caliber stuff, so I couldnt tell you... but I hear a lot of good things from the .338 and .375 crowds.

5. vafish

vafish

3 Rifles for everything in the US?

.223 for varmints. .22-250 would be second choice.

.30-06 for most game animals up to Elk/Moose or so. .308 or .270 would be 2nd choice.

.375 H+H for big bears and maybe used on the Elk/Moose as well. .338 Win Mag would be the 2nd choice for the big gun.

6. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Can you handle the bigger magnums? Have you shot the bigger magnums?

Seems you have limited experience with rifles in general. In that case, stay away from the bigger magnums until you can handle a smaller cartridge like the 30-06 or 7 Mag. The 300 Win Mag isn't much of a strech from there. Problem is, most people can't handle recoil beyond a 30-06 or 7 Mag. A .338 Win Mag generates substantial recoil. Recoil only goes up from there. The true medium bores (ie bigger than .338") can and will kick the crap out of you. That said, it is my opinion that 80% hunters armed with a .30-06 cannot harness the true versitility or effectiveness of the .30-06 cartridge.

To me, it doesn't make much sense to have a .30-06 and a 30-caliber magnum in the same 3 gun battery. One or the other. Too redundant.

Find someone with a .416 Rigby or .416 Remington Magnum and have them let you touch off a round. Shoulder hurts don't it? I view the .375 H&H Mag and higher as strictly dangerous game material a la Africa. The .338 WM is resonable in terms of handlnd, recoil, and ballistics for anything in NA. Anything bigger and you are talking NA and Africa.

Whichever cartridge you choose, do some research. Not just here but in hunting magazines too. Buy a ballistics book or two and study their niche in the world of cartridges. Talk to hunters and ask about on-game performance. Disregard statements like "drops them right in their tracks" and "pushed it back 20 feet" and so on as this is all BS.

Ninety percent of the guides I have spoken to would rather have a client show up at bear camp with a .270 Winchester that he could shoot like it was second nature than show up to camp with a .300 Super Duper Critter Vaporizer that scared the crap out of him so much that he can take only one shot when two to three might be required. I showed up to hunt elk with a 7mm-08. The guide said can you handle it. I said Yup. Later that day I made a 230yard shot on a cow elk (herd management hunt). One shot. Right in the heart. Ran 20 yards and piled up. Later that same year, I sent a 100gr HP 416 yards to silence a yelping coyote. Yup, I can handle my 7mm-08.

Practice with your weapon so that it becomes an extention of your body. Have confidence to make the shots you can and pass on the shots you can't. Truly become one with your rifle. That is the essence of riflecraft.

Shoot as much different cartridges as you can. Have friends and family members lend you their rifle and go to the range and try them out. Get a feel for how each handles under ideal conditions. Then go from there. Do not get impulsive and buy right away. Give it some time. Try out a least a dozen or so cartridges to get a feel for what is out there.

7. noway

noway

that's a good review freakshow and to add I think alot of people over estimate the recoil and have no clue as to what it comes out to be. Shooting a magnum caliber isn't something that you want todo regularly unless you have some experience behind it. It'ls easy to list 3 caliber and say this is what I want.

for example here's just some of the avg recoil-energies listed on chuck website

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

A 12ga shotgun firing a 1oz slug produces on avg in a pump action remington 33fpe. That's should give you an idea of comparison assuming you have shot a shotgun ;)

8. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Here's me shooting a .416 Rigby.

Video (3.3MB)

I've shot a running ton of different chamberings. I'll take a .416 over most of the .338 Win Mags I've shot. I could have shot my buddy's CZ all day. Given the ammo of course. As you can see I'm not a big guy either.

I agree with Mr. Freak :). Shoot everything you can get your hands on. It not only helps in deciding on chamberings, but action prefernce, stock shape and design, safety styles, etc.

I also wouldn't plan on getting it right the first time. It's taken me some time to figure exactly what I want to match my hunting style and preferences.

9. noway

noway

hey that looks fun. Don't look like it more harder than a 12ga magnum ;)

10. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Less than a 3" slug IMO. Kind of like a heavy goose load. Now a .500 NE. That's a stout SOB and fast to boot. Still not bad.

It's those sadistic little mountain rifles in medium bore magnums that kill me. Not as much energy, but wickedly fast and sharp.

11. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

And back to the topic at hand. 'Anchoring' your set of rifles around an '06 sounds good. I love the '06 and I have one I use as my backup rifle. Versatility is good but there are limitations. I'd no sooner shoot a fox with an '06 as I would an elephant.

Just remember a gun is a tool. Don't pound nails with a screwdriver if you don't have to.

12. bubbaturbo

bubbaturbo

If I could do it all over again, (and I wish I could cause I think I could save a ton of money), I would start with a Thompson Center Encore in .223 with a nice scope. Bolt actions are said to be more accurate but I no longer think I shoot well enough to take advantage of the theoretical difference. 223 should be good enough for anything smaller than deer, there is almost no recoil, ammo is relatively cheap and I don't think reloading is fun anymore. Then I would add a barrel in either 270 Win, 308 or 30-06, again with a nice scope. In my experience, all 3 calibers are practically interchangeable. At that point, I would have to ask myself if I was ready for any more recoil like that generated by most of the bigger magnums/calibers. My answer would be no. So I would end up with a 1 gun/2 caliber/2 scope battery. I might consider adding a barrel in 45-70 except those belong in lever actions - still might though. Some people can shoot big magnums with no trouble. I can't and I don't care anymore that I can't. Just my opinions so they only work for me. Any money saved by not buying complete rifles in different calibers would be spent on optics and pistol caliber lever actions.

13. Wet Dog

Wet Dog

1-223 bolt action for varmits.
    308 or 30-06 bolt action for critters up to and including Elk
    45/70 or maybe 444 Marlin in a Marlin Guide Gun for big deer and up.

That being said, when I do shoot varmits I use a 30/30... For deer I really like my 44 Rem Mag Marlin 1894. For Elk I like 45/70. I like getting close, making a big hole and finding it DRT or real close by. If I lived in another part of the country where long shots were more common, I'm sure I would have a different perspective.

14. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

3 Rifles for everything in the US?

I have a .22, .243 and a 30-06. There is no game animal in north america that I can't adequately harvest with these three rifles.

The largest and most dangerous animals that I can think of would be moose or elk and bears to include the polar bears. Good big game bullets in adequate weights for the 30-06 will be fine for any of those.

15. Neocon

Neocon

Small Game (coyote, bobcat, ect)- 223
    Medium Game (deer, black bear, ect.) -30-06
    Large Game (Polor Bear, Musk Ox ect.) _ 375 H&H

That being said I only have one of these guns. I beleive my 30-06 will serve for anything in the lower 48. My plan is to save the money I would spend on more rifles and scopes and us it for ammo to practice.

My $.02

16. suckersrus

suckersrus

North America, you say?

223 or 243
    The 223 is not legal in all states for large game.

308 or 300 Win Mag.
    The 300WM is better suited for longer ranges.

338 Win mag or 45-70.
    The 338WM is better suited for longer ranges.

You have it covered from Bunnies to Brownies.