close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

3 Basic "Must Have" mods for 1911 Carry?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by wingz, Dec 20, 2006.

1. wingz

wingz speed not power

Hi fellow BOGs. While waiting for my first 1911 to be released, medyo nakakalito at mahirap "pandayin" sa budget in planning; sa dami ng nice opts na nakikita ko for my 1911. So eventually, i decided to have these "must have" mods for my norc enhanced commander for carry use:
    1.sights
    2. 8/10 rounder magz
    3. trigger for a 3-4 lbs pull
    Assuming that range time/ training will follow after these mods, tama lang po ba itong options ko na to? Your suggestions are most likely welcome, thanks. :wavey:

2. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Since your going to be carrying your 1911, I suggest you invest in a good quality carry holster and a nice stiff belt. Daming pagpipilian! When you find your carry rig, choose naman your carry ammo.

3. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

i would suggest to polish the ramp and throat the barrel if you're planning to use hollowpoints ammo, out-of the-box norcs wont fail you with ball ammos. there are reports that last shell sometimes stovepiped on the chamber which i also experience, to resolve this is to add more tension on the extractor.

4. Kiddo

Kiddo

On a side note, are 1911s smaller than commander size reliable enough for carry or is the commander length the shortest reliable size?

5. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

My dad has an old Detonics Combat Master that he used to compete with and carry. That has a 3inch bull barrel and was as reliable as a 1911 can get. Depende rin siguro sa timpla ng springs and power factor ng bala mo. My dad said na once you find the perfect formula for a particular gun, stick to it na and stop experimenting at baka makawala pa!

6. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

Mods are changes done to your pistol that should make it run 100% everytime, all the time.

1. Reliability tuning
    Includes polishing all moving and metal contact parts to reduce friction. Ream and polish the barrel chamber and ramp. Polish the breechface, inside the slide, guiderod tunnel and disconnector rails.
    polish the trigger bar and check that the shoe does not feel gritty or is binding. check the extractor, remove all metal burrs and polish the claw. have a good smith adjust the tension. replace all the springs with a known brand like wolff or nowlin or ismi. this includes the magazine springs as well. make sure that the magazine feed lips are the right specs. polish the insides of the feed lips and body of the mags.

2. sights
    the original stake and post rear and front sights are so small, they're barely usable. depende sa personal preference, any configuration of dovetailed night sights, 3-dot, big dot, bar-dot, plain target sights, fiberoptic, etc. dapat yung madali and maganda ang sight picture. it will be easier to see out of, hence, easier to align the sights. sa fixed sights, novak or heinie styles are the most popular. if you like the adjustable sights, MMC or novak adjustable sights. Bomars are ok, pero pabilog/dehorn mo lang sharp edges. Meron pa yatang Novak sight sets ang PBD. That's what batangueno used in his Norinco project.

3. 8/10 rounder mags
    8 rounders lang. They say the best single stack mags now are the Cobra-Tripp mags but I don't know if its available locally. The Wilson, Novak-Mecgar or Chip Mcormick mags are all very good. Ingat lang sa pagbili ng mags, madaming fake.

trigger for a 3-4 lbs pull
    This is very subjective. A lot of US gun experts do not recommend a trigger pull less than 3.5-4lbs for a carry pistol for safety's sake. My personal opinion here is if your level of training and familiarity with your pistol's manual of arms is so well ingrained, you will never have an AD or ND. remember the quote in the movie Black Hawk Down? "The only safety I need is my finger!"

Besides, a good trigger pull will only let you shoot better. The best trigger set I've tried is the Extreme Engineering ultimate trigger kit. It includes the hammer, sear and disconnector. All pieces are pre-fitted and matched and highly polished. Drop-in. It is a competition trigger kit but like the technology used in formula 1 racing, it eventually finds its way into our everyday cars. Paired with a 19lb hammer spring, it breaks cleanly and is very fast. Magpabili ka sa US. Pag na-try mo, you'll never want another brand, guaranteed!

I agree with bikethief, a good holster, mag pouches and a good gun belt is essential. That's the trouble with all metal pistols, the weight. mabigat, eventually you'll want something ligher. Yan advantage ng mga polymer pistols.

find what your pistol likes to digest. ball or hollow points doesn't matter. reloads or factory ammo, basta dapat 100% reliable everytime, all the time.

get professional training if you can, lots of range time and lots of ammo sent downrange will improve your skills.

good luck! post pics of the before and after mods para masundan natin :thumbsup:

7. mtho

mtho

ehem,ehem. you will never have an AD or ND?:upeyes:

8. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

oist! iba naman yun. hindi equipment related failure, operator related yun! hahahaha!

tawag dun Brain Fart! :supergrin:

9. jimbullet

jimbullet

I find the basic magwell design to be useful ensuring a smooth mag change if needed. You dont want to fumble in a life threatening situation.

10. isuzu

isuzu

Aside from the reliability package, I'd go for the fixed sights. IMHO, they're sturdier compared to adjustable ones (although, I wouldn't trade Bo-Mar's sight picture for anything). What I used in my former Norinco pistol was CMC fixed sights, that Twin Pines used to carry.

As for mags, I'd prefer 7 rounders instead of 8 rounders. They don't lose their spring tension as much as the 8 rounders. Wilson and CMC (Shooting Star) are good brands of magazines.

Trigger pull, 4.0-4.5 lbs.

As for size, the smallest I would go would be the Commander, although others have success with smaller 1911s.

11. wingz

wingz speed not power

Thanks mga sirs sa valuable inputs na ibinigay nyo.

bikethief:
    Bro i already have a nylon Blackhawk holster that i bought from SOE + an Uncle Mike's belt from Twin Pines. The ammo preference will follow after the mods. Out of the box, standard factory ball ammo muna. Thanks

saki1611:
    Thanks sa input sir, i admired your colt with white grips, napabili tuloy ako kay melbu.

Eye Cutter:
    You never failed to amazed me sir, kinumpleto nyo na ang rekado, sabi nga ng Apo Hiking Society - "Wala ng Hahanapin Pa".
    Question lang sir about the norinco springs. Out of the box, does this mean that they are prone to malfunction/wear or they just have to be replaced for a lesser recoil? Thanks.
    Also, i'm planning to get a CMC 8 rounder magz, marami rin po bang fake nito? Pano po madidistinguish?

jimbullet:
    Thanks sir, that's also an option.

isuzu:
    Thanks sir, why 4.0-4.5lbs trigger pull?

12. mtho

mtho

doc,
    dont think its entirely operator related. these things do happen. meron akong kakilala dingding naman nila yung binutas during dry fire recently lang. buti nalang daw last target yung tv nya sa dry fire......

13. isuzu

isuzu

Hi Wingz,

The 4.0-4.5 lbs is just a measure of safety, IMO. I've read in an old magazine that in tense situations, your trigger finger is capable of generating 20 lbs of pressure. I just like having a positive resistance on my trigger finger.

14. wingz

wingz speed not power

Good point sir.:thumbsup:

15. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Si Mark "the Spark" talaga o...:animlol: :rofl:

16. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

fake cmc mags use thin stainless steel sheets. original mags matigas yung steel. hindi mo pwede ma press down. usually hindi rin even yung stamping sa body and feed lips. walang markings or malabo ang imprint ng numbers and letters sa body. gamit ko cmc power mags. it has extra power springs and different follower design doon sa shooting star mags. sila batangueno nakabili ng wilson 47D mags sa twin pines.

change the stock springs to high quality aftermarket brands like Wolff or Nowlin or ISMI. Recoil spring try mo 14, 15, 16 lbs sa .45 and stick with what you feel is best for you. Hammer spring don't go less than 19lbs. the wolff recoil spring packages have a firing pin spring included already.

17. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

Diba operator related pa rin ito, since he didn't ensure that he didn't have a live round in the chamber? AD due to negligence...

18. Allegra

Allegra

Hi guuys,
    Theoretically , the pull weight shouldnt matter kasi your finger shoould be off the trigger unless your about to shoot
    Pero a sub 2lb trigger would be a @#$% to control sa shoot/no shoot situations
    Sa beginners , a heavy trigger pull would help teach them mag follow thru

19. Allegra

Allegra

Hi guuys,
    Theoretically , the pull weight shouldnt matter kasi your finger shoould be off the trigger unless your about to shoot
    Pero a sub 2lb trigger would be a @#$% to control sa shoot/no shoot situations
    Sa beginners , a heavy trigger pull would help teach them mag follow thru

20. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

korek! reminder na naman yan! always check and re-check if the firearm is loaded or empty at all times. kahit na nasilip mo na, ulit-ulitin pa rin!