3.5 Connector in a CCW

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Riggs83, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Riggs83

Riggs83

Ok I have a G30 with the only trigger mod being a 3.5 connector and it has really made the gun more accurate and a better pull for me. Now I know the 3.5 connector only makes the trigger like 4.5lbs but recommendations are to not use it as a CCW when the mod is done. How many people still use their Glocks with the 3.5 as a CCW?

2. JBP55

JBP55

You will get many answers to this question.
    Try the search engine, there must be 100 threads on this topic on GT.:cool:

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Now, Riggs, you know the connector did not make the pistol more accurate. It just made it easier for you to shoot accurately. If it is a factory "-" connector, you may have a better chance in civil court after the shooting, where some money hungry attorney may try to prove the shooting was an A/D due to the light trigger and your nervous state.

4. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  5. dosei

dosei

You don't even need to know how to use the search function...there is a sticky on this...
    Look at the top several threads in the Carry Issues forum...notice how they all say Sticky:

https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259716

6. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

How are they going to know it's a mod?

7. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

It is addressed in several of the threads on the topic.

Short answer: The G30 doesn't come with a "-" connector, only firearms intended for "competition" use come from the factory with a "-" connector. If you are involved in a shooting there is a good chance that your firearm will be taken into evidence and inspected; that is where "they" will know it is a "mod".

(A friend shot himself and the LEA took his firearm into evidence. It took him several weeks to get it back. The incident happened at a training class, there were literally 1000's of cases on the floor and the investigating officer wanted to know which one of the fired cases came from his gun when he shot himself.)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  8. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

My G19 has an OEM "-" Connector installed....And I carry it.

9. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Standard connector and NY1 spring for me and I don't have trouble hitting what I shoot at.

Carry what you want but if a member of my family were to be accidentally shot by a CCW I would bleed them dry and a "-" connector would make it that much easier.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

10. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

This is kinda hard to do in Virginia since we have an affirmative defense in a SD shooting. Hard for plaintiff's attorney to prove you had an AD when you freely admit that you deliberately shot the perp and would do it again under the same set of circumstances.

11. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

My primary carry gun is one of my 3G G23's. It came from the factory with a 5# trigger, night sights, and an extended slide stop. I have installed the smooth faced trigger, cut some excess off of the trigger safety tang so it is flush with the trigger body, a Glock 3.5 connector (part #00135), and a 6 pound GlockParts trigger spring. The trigger releases at around 4 1/2 pounds with a nice break and it has allowed me to improve my accuracy. I also have the same connector in my other 3G G23 and my 3G G19. The G19 has the best trigger of the lot.

I have tested five different connectors in my primary G23, along with a few other mods, and have found the current setup to be the best for my purposes. The Glock 3.5 connector seems to be the best overall for me.

I have also tried the NY1 trigger with a 3.5 connector (don't know who's but I suspect it was a Ghost). I didn't like that trigger at all. I much prefer my setups mentioned above. BTW, I just had a set of Warren Tactical sights installed on my G19 yesterday and will be hitting the range today to see how they are.

12. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Ignore that recommendation.

If modifications make your pistol more easier to shoot with better precision (but still safe), then by all means, make the modifications.

A 3.5 connector is hardly a safety issue.

13. ross2004

ross2004 Mark it zero!

10 pound trigger, 1 pound trigger, what does it matter? Finger off the trigger until shooting time. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't carry, but that's how I look at it.

14. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

"-" carrier here...a good shoot is a good shoot...if you are a better shot with the "-" I say thats safer than a non "-."

15. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

This is all nonsense. I mean really it is. It's covered in the above linked posts.
    I will say I have 3.5lb connectors in all my Glocks & I carry them that way.

16. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Until one of your bullets hits an innocent bystander. Then it may very well become a really big issue.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

17. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

As always, lots of folks with opinions that they feel free to toss out as if they are fact. The problems is that none of them are backed up by any experience, AFAIK. Every expert witness I'm aware of that deals in firearms issues, and AFAIK every attorney that does, all recommend the same thing, which is to not put the 3.5 in the Glock for SD unless you also add the NY1 module. Wonder what the folks who have to really deal with this kind of stuff know that others don't?

18. guyandarifle

guyandarifle

Agreed. I have and will remain dubious about how serious an issue this when you hit the intended target until I can see better case examples than I have heretofore been aware. I think it's great all of us believe there's no chance we'd ever actually miss the target in a gunfight but if you did then, yeah, I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to say a modification that specifically lightens trigger pull from how it left the factory would be considered anything but a liability.

I'm on record as saying I don't like messing around with my carry guns for reliability reasons rather than supposed liability reasons. Still, it's not like the above consideration might not cross my mind if I, for whatever reason, contemplated the change.

19. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

To be Devil's Advocate, seems like they could just as easily argue the opposite, the harder trigger caused you to jerk it and made you miss if you don't have the lighter trigger mod..

Lawyers can argue anything... If you miss the BG and hit an innocent bystander, you're probably in trouble no matter if you have a stock gun or not.

My advice is don't buy the cake and you don't have to be afraid of the icing... :supergrin:

Randy

20. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

I always get such a kick out of these threads. No one seems to mind a 1911 with a 1 1/2 pound trigger but touch a glock and all hell breaks lose.