close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2yr old male Boston trouble

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Tactical 313, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Tactical 313

Tactical 313 WarLords

I have a 2yr old male Boston who I cannot break from marking in the house. He (macho) Is not fixed(netured) My wife has/had grand visions of studing him, which is why we did not netuer him at 9 months of age as we should have, to prevent him from developing the sexual desire to mark on vertical surfaces(sofa leg, computer tower, dirty clothing hamper,etc) in my home.
    Dose anyone have any advice on stopping male dog marking instinct in a terrior?
    Thanks a bunch.... now i have to go clean up after my expensive problem child.:soap: :stop:

2. HarlDane

HarlDane

Is he of breeding quality? If not its probably not the best idea to stud him out. If he is of breeding quality, is it worth it for the trouble he is causing?
    If you do fix him he might stop, but often in terrier breeds its hard to stop once they start. How long has he been doing this?

3. Tactical 313

Tactical 313 WarLords

My Boston Terrior is an akc registured pure bred.
    I noticed signs as far back as a year, but they were small and infrequent.Things have gotten far worse in the last 6 months. I dont care about breding the dog I just want it to :stop: pissing in my house. (My wife wanted to bred the dog, but she dosn't care anymore.)

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

NO!!!!!!!!

When you catch him lifting his leg.

Tell him NOT IN THE HOUSE!!

You have got to catch him, and correct him, AT the second of the offence for it to do any good.

Taking him back to the marked spots and telling him no might also help.

Use vinegar and water mix or one of the commercial sprays to remove the sent he is reinforcing.

5. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

This, plus...

Remember, dogs don't 'go' where they eat, sleep or play. Where ever he's marked, try making him eat there, play ball with him there, etc. He'll figure out "humm... I play here, I don't want to stink it up"... do this in remote areas of the house too, to help prevent marking.

The major thing to remember is that dogs live their lives according to the principle of "Alpha". When your dog marks ANYTHING, he's claiming that what he marks is HIS, no one elses! So, your dog as an alpha complex and he thinks he outranks you and/or your wife, at least to a degree. Does he display other disorderly behavior? Ignore commands after the FIRST time being told to do it? Does he react negatively to someone taking his food away? Demand to sleep on your bed? If so, this further validates what I'm saying (there's other indicators too).

You can change ANY dog's behavior (except the MOST messed-up ones) utilizing the principle of Alpha. Make his understand you're in charge, his unwanted behaviors will change and he'll be 100% easier to train overall.

To get him to understand this... do some research... I'm tired to typing... sorry. PM G20man, or post in his ask the trainer thread... tell him Deucedobe sent ya!