2nd time at the range, 2nd Malfunction... Did I get a lemon?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by USAFtrevor87, Feb 18, 2010.

1. USAFtrevor87

USAFtrevor87

So I am posting again after my 2nd time at the range, with a 2nd malfunction. My first thread I had 2 jams within the first 200 rounds through the gun. I was using Winchester white box 115 gr 9mm. I have a Glock 19.
    For the GTers that read my first post I remembered my Hearing Protection this time :rofl:
    SO today I used Gold Dot 124 Grain +P. Again a bargain ammo, but i don't have a lot of $ to spend on ammo so I figured this is what I would keep in the gun at home. Shot 120 rounds fine. On my next clip (the 5th round) I had an empty round that didn't eject. No biggie, just pulled the slide back it ejected out. I inserted the clip and started shooting again. On my 13th round of the same clip I had a major malfunction. or maybe its not a big deal, but I see it as a major malfunction.
    The slide is in the locked back position, but (sorry for the terminology, i'm still new the handgun world), the slide lever (the lever to push so the slide shut) was not activated, but my slide was in the locked back position. *see attached photos, taken by my cell so sorry for the quality.
    I released the magazine and tried to rack the slide to get it back in normal position, but it was froze open. When I really looked inside the breech, the Ejector Pin was still sticking way out. I know its the ejector pin cause thats what the gun smith told me. He said he's never seen it happen before.
    I guess what i'm wondering is do you guys think out of the thousands upon thousands of glocks that are made, they can't all be perfect? Did I get a lemon? Also, after the gunsmith fixes it or does whatever he needs to do, should i be worried about another malfunction? This is my Carry gun, so I have to depend my life on it and I have some doubts now.
    Just wanted to hear what ya'll think. Thanks for your guy's help so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. BigBadAllis

BigBadAllis

Hello

Did you buy the gun new? Have you contacted your dealer?

I have also had some challenges with my new G22 Gen 4. Both my dealer and Glock have been easy to work with. I was really surprised to get a live person on the phone when I called Glock.

Best regards,
    Jason

3. USAFtrevor87

USAFtrevor87

Yes, the G19 was new in box. I went back to my dealer who also has gunsmithing on site. So if they are going to fix it and I'll put another 500 rounds through it and if nothing happens I'll pretty much have my faith back, but if something happens then I will probably contact Glock. I wanted to give my hometown shop the chance to correct the issue first, and see how they plan to deal with the situation.

4. Stuntman_Mike

Stuntman_Mike /̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

Where does the "gunsmith" think the ejector is supposed to be?

I'm willing to bet the slide catch is hung-up or busted at the worst. If you already gave the gun to someone to fix, I won't bother trying to explain what to look for.

5. GLOCK MONSTER

GLOCK MONSTER

it`s not a clip it`s a "magazine" . A clip is for a long gun not for pistols !

6. USAFtrevor87

USAFtrevor87

My bad... military jargon just seems to stick with ya, even when you're out. thanks for the insightful post.

7. GLOCK MONSTER

GLOCK MONSTER

no problem . Keep us updated on ur issue . Hope it gets fixed .

8. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

I would not worry too much about the jams or failure to extract. Could be you, the ammo, maybe the gun. In most cases I would say you. You need to get this stuck slide sorted out first.

Your extractor looks fine and I can't see anything wrong with anything else. The trigger looks right. Can you move the slide release/stop lever with the slide back like that or is it jammed solid? Did you try wacking the back of the slide to shove it forward. Did you take the gun apart before you shot it?

Seems odd you could get so many rounds through it with relatively few issues and then the slide is stuck to the rear. There is not much that would normally cause that. I have never seen it in years of shooting Glocks. I suppose something could have broken, but I sure can't think what it would be.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm really curious about this one.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  9. USAFtrevor87

USAFtrevor87

I can not move the slide release at all. The slide is stuck open with the extractor pin stuck out (first pic shows the exctractor). I tried slappin the back of the slide to get it to go forward, i tried pullin it back to get it to like reset, I tried just slappin the side of it to see if anything would happen. I can't move the thing. Everyone I talked to on here through PMs and on another forum i'm part of and the gunsmith at the shop; they all said they've never heard of it or seen it ever happen. Guess i'm just 1 in a million lol

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

First of all, you are looking at the ejector and not the extractor. Secondly, the ejector is fixed and appears normal in your photo. Make sure the gunsmith is a certified Glock armorer before he touches your pistol.

11. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Try holding the trigger back while working the slide.

12. ipscshooter

Of course you are right, Danny.

I meant ejector. The "Newbs" have me saying the wrong things. What's that saying?.....say something enough and it's true. Pretty soon I'll be saying clip. :supergrin:

13. USAFtrevor87

USAFtrevor87

Tried it at the range lol Gunsmith has it now and he is certified. I didn't think about it, till you said something so I called and just asked if their gunsmith on site was certified Glock armorer; he is. Thanks for the heads up though. Thats why all the newbs use this board, for some wisdom and guidance.

Yea, Freakin FNGs :whistling:

14. jack76590

jack76590

I am not fan of the brown "break in lube". I really think glock uses it less for break in and more just to have some lube that will remain until glock sold. I had a slide jam on a G26 and I think it was combination of the break in lube and additional lube I added forming some kind of gunk for lack of better term. I broke slide free, cleaned real well, relubed with normal oil and it has performed fine since then.

I recommend you clean real well, lube per glock instructions and then hand cycle a few hundred time NOT letting slide slam shut. Then clean, lube again and hand cycle some more. Then clean, lube, shoot. At least this can not hurt anything and it should wear in the slide-frame connection without expending ammo. Good luck.

15. ipscshooter

My comment wasn't meant to be a slam at FNG's. I was one once.

I seldom, intentionally slam anyone. :wavey:

16. USAFtrevor87

USAFtrevor87

I didn't mean anything by it lol I was being sarcastic cause i'm a newb.

17. zysus

zysus

Bought a G17 NIB about 2 months ago. The staff at the range I shoot at said they recommend you don't clean or lube it for the first 1k rounds. I'm about 300 rounds into that and I haven't had one FTF or FTE yet.

One trigger pull means one bullet leaves and the next one is good to go. Exactly the reason I got the Glock.

I'm shooting mostly 124gr. FMJ American Eagle with some Speer 115gr JHP for good measure.

We'll see how it goes from here.

18. ronin.45

ronin.45

I also have never seen a glock lock back like that. Anything man made can have mistakes. If the problem is found and fixed I would test fire like normal and then trust it to do it's job.

19. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Really?

I thought a clip was for loading a fixed magazine.
    Mostly in long guns but not unheard of in a pistol (Mauser Broomhandle).
    A lot of long guns have magazines. Some are fixed and some are removable.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  20. curator

curator

He's BAAAACK!:wavey:

We missed you!