close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2nd gen Glock 19 , 1993 upgrade question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bullseye9mm, Apr 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bullseye9mm

bullseye9mm

Does anyone have a picture of this protrusion from the slide? I recently got a hold of a 2nd gen Glock 19 serial AYU, and, I want to make sure that this slide does not have that protrusion.
    Please reference below:
    1993, G19 Upgrade

Glock Model 19, 9mm Luger caliber, requires an upgrade for all pistols.

These pistols have the potential for an UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE of a cartridge with the action open.

The Glock model 19 pistol slide has a bottom protrusion, whose function is to push cartridges from the top of the magazine into the chamber. When the pistol is jammed in a double feed situation, the slide protrusion can come in contact with the primer of the jammed cartridge and cause UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE while the action is open

2. AmmoChief

AmmoChief

i don't see a pic but here is some more info on that

GLOCK
    MODEL 19,
    9MM LUGER CALIBER, PISTOL

WARNING: This make and model pistol may have the potential for an UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE of a cartridge with the action open.

The Glock, model 19 pistol slide has a bottom protrusion, whose function is to push cartridges from the top of the magazine into the chamber . When the pistol is jammed in a double feed situation, the slide protrusion can come in contact with the primer of the jammed cartridge and cause UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE while the action is open.

Glock, Inc.
    6000 Highlands Parkway
    Smyrna, GA 30082
    (770) 432-1202

Source:
    AFTE Journal, July 1993; Volume 25, Number 3:206-208

GLOCK
    MODEL 19,
    9MM LUGER CALIBER, PISTOL

WITH SERIAL NUMBER PREFIXS AN,BP,BR, BV, BW, BX, DL, DM, DN, DP, DR, DS, DT, DV, DW, DX, DY, & DZ.

WARNING: These pistol may have the potential of the action to malfunction as followings:
    The slide locking back on a full magazine.
    Failure to lock into battery because the barrel lug drags on the slide lock.
    The magazine follower tips or sticks in the magazine tube.

Glock, Inc.
    6000 Highlands Parkway
    Smyrna, GA 30082
    (770) 432-1202

Source:
    AFTE Journal, April 1990; Volume 22, Number 2:227

3. bentbiker

bentbiker

Your 3-digit prefix (AYU) is newer than all the 2-digit prefixes. Looks to me as if you AYU was made a full year after the above announcement. You can call Glock to confirm, but I don't think your 3-digit prefix is in any way, a part of the update.

As for the stripper rail that you reference, it is a part of all Glock pistols -- you need it. There was something wrong with the rails in question; it wasn't that it shouldn't have been there.

4. TJS

TJS

How about "ALX" serial number??

5. viperkp

viperkp

I just got a Gen 2 Glock 2 with a serial number that dates it around July 1993. I actually called Glock and had them check if there were any upgrades to my handgun because I heard of the upgrade you are referring to. They told me that there were NO upgrades, and they could tell because my gun has the 3-letter prefix, which makes it a "newer" Gen 2 gun. Hope this helps. If nothing else, you can call Glock directly and ask them. They were quite helpful when I called in.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. TJS

TJS

Thanks Viper, seems we got G19's very close to each other. I picked up one yesterday that was part of an estate and after cleaning it up, it looks great!

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It is important to know the difference between a two letter serial number Glock (Ex. AA123) and a three letter serial number Glock (ex. AAA123).:whistling:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. OMEGA5

OMEGA5

My wife carries a DW 19. I just took it
    apart and I don't see any "Protrusion" that's any different
    than any of my other Glocks and took all 5 of them down and
    laid the slides side by side,
    If anyone has a pic of this protusion, I'd love to see it.
    Thanks,
    Dano :harley:

9. viperkp

viperkp

Bullseye: Congrats on the new acquisition! Like I stated in my post above, I just got a Gen 2 Glock 19 as well. I love this gun!

TJS: From your post, I'm guessing we have similar prefixes (if the Serial Number Thread is correct). That is awesome. Congrats on your new gun as well!

Nice to know I have Gen 2 Glock 19 brethren :)