2nd Gen G23 frame battering?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bullseye9mm, Dec 30, 2009.

1. bullseye9mm

bullseye9mm

I have aquired an older 2nd Gen glock 23(serial BKG) and I just noticed that on the front frame rails, where the recoil spring seats, on the sides are what looks to be rub marks, or possible battering marks from the slide.

Its not bad, but It does concern me, i'm not sure if thats normal with the 2nd gen frames.

Send it to glock, or don't worry about it?

I'll try to get some pics up, but might be a while because my camera's broken

2. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Sounds like peening to me, which is normal for the .40 glocks. It'll wear to the certain point, and stop. Nothing to worry about.

Post pictures when you can though.

3. bullseye9mm

bullseye9mm

I'm familiar with metal peening on the slide, but not particularly on the frame... I guess its just compressed polymer?

4. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

I totally had a brain fart there. Sorry, I don't know what the deal could be since it's the frame.

Wait until DannyR or some of our other more experienced Glockers show up, they should set you strait.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

A good, clear, sharp photo would help.

6. rljan

rljan

Are you talking about the polymer on the frame, just in front of the metal frame rail? If so, it is not unusual. My Gen 2 (1993) has the same damage. The facory told me not to worry. I have learned that it is important to change the recoil spring on the .40's on a regular basis. The factory now recommends every 2000 to 2500 rounds. At the last inspection of my 23 I found that the locking block was split in half and the locking block pin was bent. The pounding that the .40 takes is the reason the Gen4 now has a double recoil spring.

7. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Do you mean something like this?

Both of these frames are first generation G17's with the serial number prefix of 'AP'. The top one has an estimated 130,000+ rounds fired, the bottom one is nearly unfired.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TeddyB

TeddyB

I do think the .40's beat up a frame more Butch The recoil springs are the same as the 9's are they not. It would kinds stand to reason in my mind!

9. bullseye9mm

bullseye9mm

Butch,

Thank you for putting up a clear pic.

Its actually the inside part of the "U" at the front of the rails...

It looks like its sort of beaten, not bad, not cracked but just marred a little bit. Im thinking its normal, but I just wasnt sure

10. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

:uglylol:..........WHUT ?

11. mongo356

mongo356

I think this is the area he is talking about. It would appear that sometimes the spring may compress during recoil and rub against the side at times. It has never caused a problem in my guns.

I wouldn't sweat it I think all of my Glocks have it (I know both of my G23's do).....I have seen it several times in other Glocks.

Pic is not of my gun but for demonstration of area only. YMMV

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  12. bullseye9mm

bullseye9mm

actually you've gotten the closest pic.

The wear is actually on the side edges of where the dust cover ends, and then the spring seats, more than likely where the guide rod guide on the slide would hit when cycling a round..

13. AgentAdam

AgentAdam Glock Master

Change your recoil spring?

14. green marauder

green marauder Fabricators build what 95% of the population cant

Is this more like it? If it is dont worry Glock puts a new frame on it free of charge except shipping charges (one way, they ship it back on their dime) it only took mine about 3 weeks turn around.
    [​IMG]
    it will a 3rd generation frame .

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  15. bullseye9mm

bullseye9mm

Green Marauder !!! YES, THATS EXACTLY IT!!.

Should I be concerned about it? Just wondering if I need to send it to Glock, or if its a safty issue.

My frame has the same amount of damage with the exception of the lifting polymer on the right side of the picture.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  16. green marauder

green marauder Fabricators build what 95% of the population cant

I dont know if its a safety issue or not, even with mine being broken like that it shot fine it just bugged me every time I took the slide off and since Glock's service 110% they will replace the the frame and ANYTHING else in the gun that is worn at no charge.
    Plus they send paper work back that states that the new frame (serial number wont match the barrel and slide) and work was done by GLOCK and not "Joe Shmo", to keep the value.

17. bullseye9mm

bullseye9mm

would using a shock buffer make any difference? I've had them on my 1911's before and they seemingly work pretty well to protect the slide and frame.

Should I use one before the frame gets to be in bad condition?

my only apprehension in sending the gun back to glock for a frame upgrade is that I HATE the 3rd gen frames , as the finger grooves do not line up or fit my hand properly.

18. SCC

SCC just me

Should I use one before the frame gets to be in bad condition? NO

19. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

If you want to seriously curtail that type of frame battering, use a Wilson shok-buf. The Wilsons are designed correctly and keep the slide from impacting the frame. As the slide impacts the stops on either side, just forward of the front frame guides, it attempts to force the bottom of the U shaped insert forward. This is one of the drawbacks to the frame design of the Glock that's been addressed with more recent designs such as the Steyr, FNP,etc. Once certain parts of the frame are worn badly or damaged, the entire frame must be replaced, whereas recent designs utilize a modular "sub-frame" that can be replaced. Not to take anything away from the Glock, it's just the nature of the beast.

20. mongo356

mongo356

Do a search on shock buffer they are not recommended because they can (not always) cause malfunctions.

This is just a guess, but since it's a used gun I would say that the recoil spring has not been changed at the 3,000 rds mark as suggested and or someone was running a lighter spring weight. Will it pass the 45 degree recoil spring test?

I would say this condition is somewhat rare...., the slide does stop there but those two frames are the worst I've ever saw.

Again just guessing but if you keep the recoil spring changed, and as long as you are not trying to shoot thermonuclear 40 loads (above SAMMI) you shouldn't see this happen.