close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2nd Gen 19: Smyrna visit or leave it be?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by YaDaddy, Aug 7, 2012.

1. YaDaddy

YaDaddy

After years with & many examples of the 3rd and 4th gen Glocks I have discovered the joys of the 2nd generation. Namely in the form of a Gen 2 Glock 19 in very good plus to excellent condition.

The Glock factory is a short drive from here and they know me well there. I was considering making my usual trip to see the armorers with a used Glock purchase, but I started wondering if taking this 19 to have what would most likely be a thorough refurbishment, would reduce the value of the gun. I gotst a feeling I have several 2nd gen Glocks in my future. After I immerse myself in a particular gun experience, I usually sell of off a couple and get the collection down to the favorites, so I don't wanna adversely affect the value of this gun by having it monkeyed with too much.

So what say ye? Will the factory upgrade affect the value of the gun? Should I have the Glock armorers do their thing and upgrade the gun or should I just leave it be?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. MikeG36

MikeG36

If it works - don't let them touch it!!

3. JW1178

JW1178

I don't see where replacing certian wear items and the springs would devalue the gun, unless they were to replace the hard parts of the gun. Then again, why refurbish the gun?

Post a pic.

4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

You can replace any springs or anything else that needs replacement,If it were me I wouldn't go any where near Glock even if I lived down the street from them.
    If for some reason you just have to take it there before you take the gun out of your house Remove the Machined Extractor from the slide.Never let it out of your control,but that's just me.
    SJ 40

5. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

Go to a GSSF match and have the Glock folks there go through it. Anything worn will be replaced under your watchful eyes.

6. SuperSport

SuperSport

I have a gen 2 19 with OG RSA and barrel since early 90's. Enjoy the heck out of it.

7. ken grant

ken grant

I carried a Gen. 2 23 to Glock for rebuild and install night sights.
    Was told the frame needed replacing and it would take two weeks.

Two weeks later Fed-X delivered to my home the 23 and now I have a Gen. 2/3 pistol with non-matching serial numbers.

8. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Why don't you take it up there and see if they will let you keep the old parts after they upgrade it.

9. M 7

M 7

I agree with you and can't imagine that they wouldn't let him do this. I think that Glock probably realizes that a happy customer is a returning customer.

10. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

I would leave it alone if its in near excellent shape and shoots fine.

11. bac1023

bac1023

I'd leave it be.

12. jmb79

jmb79

Agreed. Leave it alone. If if ain't broke, don't fix it.

13. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

Let it be. Don't mess with perfection.

14. barth

barth six barrels

Screwing with something that works fine doesn't make any sense at all.
    Replace the recoil spring, clean and shoot.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  15. Bruce M

Bruce M

If it is working fine and you do not intend to carry the gun, I would leave it alone. If however I was considering carrying the gun regularly I have to go against the grain here and I would either go to Glock or have an armorer go over it at a match. High volume armorers probably know which if any parts on a specific model and generation are prone to earlier failure and certainly have experience looking for and diagnosing problems.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  16. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

How old is it? What's the serial number prefix?

Do you plan to shoot/use it?

Does it have a captured recoil spring assembly?

17. G36shooter

G36shooter

I shot the GSSF match at Brighton MI this past weekend , Scotty Banks from GLOCK was there to upgrade anyones pistol. He went through my gen2 19 (BOD 7-94) parts that I thought were up to date were not , he replaced them and gave me the parts he changed out. Worth it to me so you decide what to do with your gun.

18. Glock40man

Glock40man

I'd leave it alone. Any part it needs you can change it yourself.

19. Bluescot

Bluescot

I sent in a G19 - 2 a few months ago to Glock and they replaced the whole upper and the guts for me at no cost. Now the side number doesn't match the frame number but I'm a shooter, or rather my wife is a shooter, and the collectable value is not an issue.

I basically ended up with almost a complete new shooter as far as the slide was concerned and came away a happy camper and thanked them for their service.

20. YaDaddy

YaDaddy

Thanks for all the replies, gents. Sorry for the delay in response, but I stopped getting notifications that the thread was getting attention.

I gotta confess that my OP was a bit of a story.

I think the phrase goes "Artists lie to reveal a deeper truth."

Well the truth is that, whilst making my gun store rounds last week, I found not one, but two 2nd gen Glock 19s in excellent condition and within a quarter mile of each other. Found the first one, put it on layaway and I'll be damned if I didn't drive 500 hundred yards down the street and found an even better one for slightly less cash at another store. This after fruitless weeks of trying to get one nailed down. (What can I say? The joys of gun buying in Georgia.) Bought that one on the spot and took it to the Glock factory the next day and had them do their usual check and replace thing. With all of the Gen3 guns I've owned this is a no brainer. Free check, parts swap or upgrade while I wait, (another joy of gun buyin in GA) but this is my first Gen2 and since the 19 still on layaway will most likely be sprung from jail and sold, I didn't want to do anything to affect it's value. Sounds like "leave it be" is the safest thing to do.

Concerning the Gen2 19 I have now: Took it to the range after the trip to the factory and ran 150 rounds through it. Shot incredibly well. Consistently dropping rounds into an 8 inch splash target at 25 yards. Man I love these Gen2 guns! I was aware of the slide moving back and forth a bit more than I am with my Gen3 19 and 23s, but the gun functioned flawlessly with no hiccups whatsoever. Typical Glock performance.

I can't remember exactly what the Glock armorer said he replaced, but the original extractor was left on the gun. I know that fer sure it did get new springs and recoil assembly. Pretty sure they did other parts, too. Maybe they keep records and I can ask the next time I'm there.

It didn't hit me til later that the Glock factory visit, with older Glocks, might be not such a good idea, so I thought I'd run it by the experts. Evidently the collection is going all retro, cuz I've got a Gen1 17 and a Gen2 23 on the way in. I'll ask more questions and be more cautious with those and who knows maybe I'll keep the other Gen2 19 and I can have another chance to "leave it be."

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012