2nd AR or more ammo

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by intenseneal, Jan 26, 2017.

1. intenseneal

intenseneal

What would you do? Build a 2nd AR cause 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Or buy more ammo for the 1 AR. I want to do a SPR with the spripped lower I have but I also feel the need for more ammo.

2. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

Do you go shooting and feel the need to "ration" ammo? Or leave earlier than you wanted because of ammo? If so I would get ammo.

Another point of view is how much enjoyment do you get from building a gun vs buying ammo?

I felt like my 1,000k rounds of "never shoot" ammo was enough "just in case supply" and that I would get much more enjoyment building a second, third, fourth, ect Ar.

QNman likes this.

3. CMG

CMG

Without ammo, they are basically and really intricate door-stop, so... :D

4. QNman

QNman Old timer

Depends... do you have ammo already and looking to increase your supply? Slakinoff has it right.

5. Z71bill

Z71bill

I continuously buy ammo whenever I find it on sale.

Automatically - without hesitation buy .223/5.56x45, 9MM, .45 ACP & .22LR (yeah right) when it is a good deal - because that is what I shoot the most of-

But also 12 gauge and 7.62x39 when I see an extra special sale.

I have never regretted buying ammo when I see a sale / deal.

I see it like money in the bank - you should have some set aside over and above the amount you need right now - JIC you lose your job - or the SHTF.

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

If you already have a stripped lower go ahead and finish it. If you're going to do an SPR are you going to actually be shooting long range? You will need to budget some quality ammo.

7. Brass3

Brass3

To me ammo is no big deal "Reload". What I did was to make everything secondary to buying a quality reloading machine. Dillon was suggested by everyone I knew so that's what I did. The shop I bought from had free classes for new folks. Paid for it self in 2 months, that was around '98. Reloading is a lot of fun and my wife loves it so much we have to flip a coin to see who'll use the machine. Now I set money aside for my new found hobby building. I'm building my first one with lots of help from the Forum. (Tools, instructional CD's, Books) I've got everything as of last Friday, now all I have to do is put it together.

8. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I would build another AR and then buy more ammo to feed it.

What's an SPR?

9. pgg00

pgg00

If i recall correctly it is a Special Purpose Rifle. Usually with an 18 inch barrel and a good high quality scope on top. Used for a little farther out engagements

10. intenseneal

intenseneal

Correct^. Yes my SPR will be for longer range shooting and some hunting. Doing a 16" barrel cause the difference in velocity between 18 and 16 is minimal and I want the SPR to also be able to fill the role of a SHTF rifle as well if needed.
    Yes I do feel the need to ration my ammo when I shoot. I dont have a lot of ammo stocked up, under 500 rounds per caliber. I have the most 9mm, .223 and .22lr and hurting bad on 12g and .40sw. But we are talking .223 5.56 here.
    Maybe I will get a 420 round can of 5.56 and put half away for SHTF, I know I will need more, and build the SPR too. Cash flow is tight right now so its hard to get trigger time and put away more ammo than I shoot. The current state of America is kind of scaring me and want to be prepared at least a little.

11. K. Foster

K. Foster

The obvious answer is...Both.

intenseneal likes this.
  12. Z71bill

Z71bill

I thought every inch of AR barrel gained 25 FPS -

I guess like everything that would depend - but 50 FPS would be significant wouldn't it?

I am also starting to put together an AR that will be used to shoot 400 - 600 yards -- I want an 18" barrel - but will also consider a 20".

Is my thinking about this wrong? Because it would sure be easier to find the upper I want if I get a 16" barrel.

13. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

If you live in a state where your right to buy an AR or AK is at risk, (like I do) buy the guns, (like I did). I can no longer buy certain AR's or AK's, but I don't need to since I bought the rifles before the window closed. Now I buy ammo to feed them. My choice was made for me by my state.

ucfgrad93 likes this.
  14. GAFinch

GAFinch

One advantage to a precision rifle is that shooting for groups will have you using up less ammo than mindlessly blasting away. Having said that, factor in the price of a good scope and mount and (sooner or later) better ammo and better trigger.

I do like having spare parts on hand, even better if they're assembled into a 2nd weapon. Don't buy junk parts but don't make a special snowflake build either. Take your time and buy parts used or when they're on sale and stick with popular/common items. Like any proper adult hobby, it will keep your mind occupied over time, teach you patience, and teach you to control frivolous spending on non-hobby things. The ammo purchasing will still creep in there.

15. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Quite frankly, I would suggest building up your .223/5.56 ammo supply first. 500 rounds is nothing. I recommend at least 2000 rounds for starters. Additionally, with a SPR, you want the appropriate ammo for that rifle. Typically, you are looking at .223 in 72 gr., 75 gr. and 77 gr. and 5.56 in 77 gr.(Mk262 Mod 1 or OTM LR Mod1). Generally, a 16" SPR comes in the form of a RECCE (based on the U.S. Navy Seal Recon rifle) type build.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Recon_Rifle

I have a couple different 16" RECCE type builds.

This one was built back in 2008.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one was built in 2015.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. intenseneal

intenseneal

50 fps is nothing really. You can get +- 50 fps between new factory loads. This rifle would be for 100-300 yards mostly and not looking for a sub moa shooter, along with wanting it to fit a carbine/shtf rifle role as well I think 16" will be just fine.
    This is true and im not a big rapid fire, burn threw ammo type anyways. Geiselle G2S trigger is going in the lower and researching the Nikon M223 and Vortex scopes.
    Some sweet sticks there, very nice. Im looking forward to playing with different grain match ammo.
    So I have enough saved currently to buy all the lower parts minus the G2S FCG and a 420 can of xm193 for PSA.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  17. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

18. intenseneal

intenseneal

Whats wont with the G2S? What makes the SSA worth the $100 extra?

19. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

One thing is that the G2S is cumbersome to install. There is a D-ring that has to be carefully installed whereas the SSA trigger is a straight forward install.

The Geissele 2 Stage (G2S) was designed to be a high quality, cost effective option of the SSA. The G2S is a 4.5lb. non-adjustable combat trigger that is a precision two-stage trigger and allows precise and accurate trigger control. The G2S is manufactured from the same tool steel as the SSA. Visually, from the outside of the weapon there is no difference from the SSA and the feel and reliability is the same. The G2S however has a different way of holding the hammer pin in place, there is no laser markings, and the parts are only spot checked for MP.

The Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA®) trigger is a semi-automatic only version of Geissele Automatics’s Super Select-Fire trigger. The SSA is a 4.5lb. non-adjustable combat trigger that is a precision two-stage trigger and allows precise and accurate trigger control. The SSA’s two-stage design allows the trigger to be light enough for accurate and precise shots, but forgiving enough for CQB. The SSA is safety certified by Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center. It is recommended for demanding applications such as Law Enforcement use, Close Quarters Battle (CQB) and mid-range carbine work.

LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger
    Sparing no expense, all major components are precision-machined from S7 Tool Steel. The result of this extra effort is a glass-smooth, hyper-consistent trigger that will satisfy even the most scrupulous competition shooter, but also be overly rugged for the battlefield. The MBT-2S breaks crisply at 4.5 lbs (2.5 lb first stage, 2 lb second stage) and has a smooth and positive reset. Each trigger comes with an additional "heavy" trigger spring that increases the pull weight to 6 lbs.

20. intenseneal

intenseneal

If that all the difference I will go with the G2S and save the money to spend on other parts of the build.