close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2M Simplex Mobile

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tom B, May 14, 2004.

1. Tom B

Tom B Millennium Member

Anyone work 2m simplex while mobile? I run an Icom V8000 at 75 watts into a Diamond mag mount. I usually stay on 146.52. Atlanta area.

2. dave5339

dave5339

Tom,

My wife and I work 2M simplex for local communications, (gun shows, bike rides, flea markets). Since we're in the Dallas area though, I think it would be a little hard to work you direct!

Semper Fi

3. KB4IFS

KB4IFS MOLON LABE

You can always hope for a ducting or aurora.

4. peter_atl

peter_atl

When I'm in an area I've got friends in I usually stick to a repeater or two there (such as the Georgia Tech 145.15- 167.9hz in Atlanta or the 442.150 machine in Austin), but if I'm traveling anywhere new or on the highway I always have 146.52 pulled up.

Best 146.52 QSO I can remember was with a gentleman about 150 miles south of the grand canyon at a home station while I was driving east along the north rim before a good sunset. Nice guy and pretty much a clear shot to him.

-Peter
    KD5BWT

5. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

I haven't taken a road trip in awhile, but when I do I monitor 146.52, and give out a call every now and then. Unfortunately, most folks don't realize that when the band plan was orgainized this was supposed to be a calling frequency. You made contact there and move off. It saddens me when people sit and ragchew on the frequency, because, when my wife first got her license, we had planned to monitor that frequency. The ragchewers got on her nerves, and she ceased being active. (sigh)

Anyway, if I'm ever on the road, I'll be listening...

6. sensei

sensei Deceased

Same thing here. (Well except for the wife part.)

In the Houston area everyone seems to park on their "home" repeater. They are going to be in for a shock if we have an emergency and find out they can't talk as far as they think they can.

sensei

7. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Well, luckily, our emergency repeater, 146.84 has good coverage. From my office on the third floor downtown, I can hit it and the emergency repeaters in Fort Bend and Montgomery Counties as well. I have a twin lead jpole in one window, and a ground plane vertical for 220 on top of my desk. I usually monitor 147.08, 224.26 and the downtown police frequency.

8. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer