Glock Talk banner

29 vs 30 vs 30s

1557 Views 20 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  shoresroad
So I'm in the market for another CCW handgun already have a G32 but might be going to the 19 in that size. So my Delima is should I go with a g29, g30, or 30S. Just want to be clear that whatever I go with will be carried with High power ammo such as underwood. So what are your opinions everyone? Price isn't really an determining factor as I've been buying a ton of 357 sig!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
5,381 Posts
If you are looking for power the 29 is your best choice for sure. For a good SD gun the 30 or 30s would be a good choice. For high power .45 the 30 makes sense, for ccw with more standard ammo the 30s. I carry +p ammo so I bought a 30sf and am glad I did. The 30s is fine also but the little heavier slide makes the 30 a smooth shooting gun for just a few onces more than the 30s.
Out of all of the guns you have listed I don't think you can beat a G32. I believe for an SD gun it doesn't get better than a G32 against an armed attack. The 32 is going to be my next Glock.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
12,028 Posts
The 29 would be the most ballistically advantageous and fit with your philosophy of faster is better. I like to duplicate or match what I reload, why not another 357? You have probably picked the best caliber that you could.

· Registered
3,608 Posts
So I'm in the market for another CCW handgun already have a G32 but might be going to the 19 in that size. So my Delima is should I go with a g29, g30, or 30S. Just want to be clear that whatever I go with will be carried with High power ammo such as underwood. So what are your opinions everyone? Price isn't really an determining factor as I've been buying a ton of 357 sig!

Everything is a comprise.

The 30s carries noticeably better IWB.

The standard 30 will handle widely-available 45 ACP as-is, 45 Super with a barrel/RSA swap and 460 Rowland with the proper conversion.

While not in the same class as the 460, the 10mm has plenty of thump. I haven't tried it, but I am told the 29 can also be adapted to fire 40 S&W.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
Shoot the Model 29 Gen 4 with a variety of loads if at all possible. You may have difficulty controlling the warmer loads. If that's the case, then get the 30.

· Registered
2,206 Posts
My EDC is a 29sf with a KKM 4.6 inch barrel. Gives me the velocity of G20 with the conceal ability of the 29. Recoil is manageable with practice. I load my own ammunition which provides powerful loads at a low cost per round. Just ordered a KKM 40 conversion barrel. Great gun and can covert to 40 357 sig or 9x25 Dillon with a barrel change.

· JABRONI AUTIST
8,631 Posts
Tough call, I have a Gen4 29 and 30 and both shoot great. The 30 is softer shooting but puts bigger holes in the target and you can shoot .45 Super in it. The 29 is great too and has the advantage being able to shoot .40 and 357 Sig with a conversion barrel.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest I'm leaning towards the 30 gen4! The thing is I guess I was trying to step up the power level a bit and I feel like I'm not doing that with the 45. The other part of me though doesn't want the gun to be uncontrollable and I am looking at smaller packages. Maybe I'll get a 30 and a glock 20 down the road. how does 45 super and 460 Roland compare to 10mm

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
Since price is not a factor in your decision in owning one of these pistols, I would go all out and get the Glock 29. That will be a master blaster for sure.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since price is not a factor in your decision in owning one of these pistols, I would go all out and get the Glock 29. That will be a master blaster for sure.
While price isn't really a determining factor, controlability is. I'm starting to think that in the size package I'm looking for G19/23/32 or like 30/30s/29 you can't get much more powerful the hot 45 or 357sig. So I'm thinking maybe g20 for 10MM! I don't have access to shoot one with really got loads so don't know what to expect. Does anyone know how a hot 45 will compare to a 10mm out of an under 4" barrel

· Registered
2,037 Posts
I really like my Gen 4 G29. If you like powerful handguns and ammo, you will like the G29. The 10mm is a very versatile round especially if you reload (and even if you don't). My G29 is very accurate and reliable with the full range of available loads. You can shoot rounds that are warm .40 S&W level or hot, full powered 10mm loads.

I think the Gen 4 grip texture and Pearce magazine extensions really help with controllability. My G29 came from the factory with an exceptionally smooth and clean breaking trigger for a Glock. You can also get .40 and .357 barrels for it.

· Registered
5,381 Posts
I had a conversion barrel for my 30 and it was a handful with hot 10mm loads. I bought a 20 and that works great for the hottest 10mm loads. I was surprised at the gun shop when the clerk set a 29 on top of a 20. Although the 20 seems big it's really not that much bigger than the 29.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.