close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

28ga shotgun uses

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mpol777, Aug 25, 2003.

1. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

One of the local shops got in a shotgun set and called me. (Yeah I know) It's a Franchi Veloci Squire O/U. They said the wood is really something to behold, which is why they called. Also "Everything that could be engraved is." I saw some pictures online and the gold inlay and scroll work looks really slick.

It comes with 3" chamber 20ga and 2.75" chamber 28ga barrels. Each comes with a set of choke tubes in IC,M and F.

Now I've been itching for a high end 20ga for upland birds for quite some time. What the heck do I do with a 28ga though? I'm a pretty decent shot on quail, but I can still use as many pellets in the air as possible. ;f I also don't hunt with a dog (yet) so I they tend to flush farter out. What's the range on a 28ga with #7.5 or #8 shot?

Besides the fact that I'd probably need to start handrolling shotgun shells for 28ga, is there anything else I should be aware of?

BTW they're asking $1900. I can probably get it down to $1700+tax though.

2. Quake Guy

Quake Guy Superior Member

Is it Don's?

28 Gauge compared to a 20 is essentially a little less load going about 100 fps slower.

In fact doing some recent research, I was amazed at how close the different gauges overlap.

Not even counting the 16 ga.

A lightly loaded 12 ga. only has 100 fps advantage over a 20 ga.

A 20 ga. has only 1/8 oz and 100 fps over a 28 ga.

A 28 ga. has only 1/8 oz and 50 fps over a .410 Magnum 3".

Now a regular length .410 is a true pipsqueak...

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Nope, it was up at Legendary Guns. The key word being "was". Some fella came in and bought it the second he saw it. Probably for the best though. My fiance would have killed me.

"Sorry honey, we can't have food at the wedding reception. But look at my new gun." ;f

4. Quake Guy

Quake Guy Superior Member

There is a Franchi Veloci 20 ga. only in the classifieds of the AZ Republic... Sorry to do that to you...

5. Guest

I hunt quail and cotton tails every year during the opening week of the respective season. It's fun and my shooting skills really get "honed" with that neat little 28ga. I do a lot of shooting with the 28ga.

I've got an SKB o/u 28ga and a Remington 870 28ga. Love them both. Puts meat on the table every season. Plus, it's easier on the ears, shoulder etc.... Really pleasant gun.

My buddy used my 870 last week, while I used my o/u for dove opener. I limited, he only took 3 birds in the morning. He's not a very good shot. He picked up his 12ga and did much better during the late afternoon.

It's all on the shooter. 28ga rocks!