Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > 27 years in .fed solitary confinement for killing a prison guard.

27 years in .fed solitary confinement for killing a prison guard.

1. My 1st obvious question is, why are we in the business of sustaining trash? Especially trash with a proven broken record? Really he should have been made dead decades ago.

2. Yeah. Keeping mentally ill people in solitary for 27 years is going to cure them. He would have been better off dead.

3. Silverstein's isolation is the result of an unusual no-human-contact order issued by a judge in 1983, after he murdered a guard at the federal prison in Marion, Illinois. So why is this guy still breathing?

Other than it's another stupid judge story...

4. I'm a believer in the old fashioned traditional hanging. I can see ONE national long term prison, some sort of isolated giant ranch/farm for folks who just could NOT be told, repeatedly incarcerated types who hadn't killed others.. but in general I'm all about short, severe, educational prison sentences, or hanging 'em if they're an ongoing danger of death/maiming/rape to society. If they've demonstrated willful unconcern for the lives of others, with irrevocable consequences, hang them. Won't be all that many volunteers if it's quick, transparent, and obviously connected to public safety.

Death row is a torture zone. Once a death sentence is pronounced, it should be executed posthaste. All appeals should be exhausted between guilty & sentencing.

And any capital crime should be the first priority for any judge connected with the case. If there's going to be a guilty verdict, upheld on appeal, then the appeal should be THE issue anyplace it shows up. Not wait 3 days to open the mail. ALL appeals shouldn't take months, rather weeks. File em all simultaneously, address em immediately, get that verdict nailed down or thrown out. THEN pass sentence if required. And carry it out.

5. Ten seconds after he killed the guard his body should have spasmed for the last time.

6. I say leave him right where he is.

:cool:

7. leave him alone. obviously he likes it.

8. "We" are paying for his upkeep, and I guarantee you, it's not cheap, nor cost effective.

'Drew

9. There's a artist creation from his lawyer, of his conditions. Some say he's in a basement jail cell, all white light, lights 24/7. The cell directly faces the guard's desk, with a 20 foot buffer zone between jail cell and cell bars at guards desk.
    No noise, radio, or tv.......communication with guard is forbidden only written message to guard and or guard supervisor.

Camera's over his head and are recording.....very,very Dr. Lector of Silence of the Lambs. Saw this in the 1980's.......sounds like the same setup.

10. What about those folks who get let out of prison for various and sundry henious crimes that DNA evidence "proved" the committed and then later new DNA "proved" they didn't?

How do you unring THAT particular bell?

11. Silverstein isn't trying to deny his responsibility for the three prison murders, nor is he trying to get out of prison, his lawyers say. He is remorseful, and two decades of good behavior should allow him to join the general prison population, they say.

So, is he remorseful for the first murder, the second and third, or the murder of a guard? And does two decades of good behavior, with no opportunity for bad behavior really count?

12. We can argue about how things "should be" until we're all blue in the face (and have, lots of times) but the simple fact is that the way things ARE, it's much cheaper to let this piece of garbage rot in a cell then to pay for his execution.

13. I knew that name sounded familiar. They showed him in a prison show some time back... name of the show escapes me at the moment.

And I read the book Hot House, life at Leavenworth. He was mentioned numerous times. Good book.

[​IMG]

14. Are we supposed to feel sorry for a murderer? Any punishment is ok with me.

15. Sounds like he's right where he belongs as long as he continues to waste oxygen.

16. And it costs a whole lot more to kill him

17. I can do it for $ 0.11 American. A .22 lr to the back of the head should do it and then kick him into the hole.

18. It's a wash either way ($22-34k a year, versus $1.5M for an execution)...but the thing is, if executions were handled efficiently, we could get that cost down to under $800k.

'Drew

19. I believe Washington is the only state left that has a gallows. The last to swing in Walla Walla was Westley Allan Dodd in '93.

20. Because our system builds in truly frivolous appeals. It does not cost more to kill him because it COSTS more. It costs more because of mindless, inane BS built into the system.

'Drew

21. I like this idea! :thumbsup:

22. waste of time and energy.

whichever is cheaper, 22lr or a cattle puncher.

23. Can't argue with that.

Guess it could be arranged but I doubt it.

24. 27 years? Pffft!

Robert Stroud (popularly known as "The Birdman of Alcatraz", although he never kept birds while at Alcatraz) died at age 73 - having spent 54 of those years incarcerated INCLUDING 42 YEARS IN SOLITARY!

Just a point of comparison...

kestrou

25. A million here, a million there...soon you're talking about real cash. :faint:

26. I don't care if he is cured or if he is even mentally ill. How many more opportunities to commit murder do you think he should get? Fortunately his buddy Clayton Fountain, who murdered another Guard at Marion the same day, died of a heart attack in 2004 so we don't have sob sisters whining about "mistreatment" in his case.
    When he and Fountain were sentenced there was no Federal Death Penalty and letting him out of isolation to run up his scorecard further would be idiotic IMO.

That argument is disingenuous because the sob sisters who get their knickers in a knot over scum being executed are the people doing their level best to run the appeals out (and the costs up) until the scum can die a natural death after 30 years on Death Row.

27. Robert Stroud, AKA "The Birdman" also killed a Corrections Officer to earn him his time. I understand that in reality, he was a miserable S.O.B.

28. Birdman is actually a far flung cousin of mine - found that out as we share the last name Stroud and I traced the geneology.

kestrou

29. Yup - killing guards is SERIOUS business - as well it should be!

Not trying to take Birdman's side in this at all. Miserable SOB is a "light" description - I've done a lot more research than just watching Burt Lancaster play a role...

kestrou

30. I agree, sick or not you are what you are. It's sad that some people have mental illness and some can't be cured but when you start killing you need to be just locked away from everyone because you don't understand what the hell your doing. Yes if this was my kid I would still agree and would wish someone at the prison would put him out of his misery.

31. That's messed. I'd never want to do so much time in prison, let alone solitary confinement.
    IMO you should be able to sign a form and be executed in prison. That lack of human interaction would be more torture than I can imagine anybody taking.

I'm not sticking up for him, what he did was horrible, but put this ****er out of his misery.

32. Although I tend to be on your side, I doubt that if you were one of the ones falsely convicted the BS you speak of would seem so mindless and inane.

33. I've read about this guy, and saw some specials about him on A&E. He's apparently the only person in the Federal Prison system to be given the classification "No Human Contact"

34. The cost of execution is inflated to make a anti death penalty argument. The factor in judges, DA's, police officers, defense attorneys..... all of which get paid if it is a death penalty case or not. They get appeals if they are sentenced to 30 years just like if they are sentenced to death.

35. I say keep him where he is. Give him good care so he has a loooooong miseable life. He is a POS who can't suffer enough for what he did.

36. How do you get falsely convicted of killing a prison guard? There are SOME innocent (of the crime) people on death row, or sentenced to life in prison...and for every one of those, there are another 3 doz who we know beyond any shadow of any doubt did it.

Let us start with those ones, to free up some space, time and capital.

'Drew

37. Stroud was reprimanded by a guard in the cafeteria for a minor rule violation. Although the infraction was not a serious one, it could have annulled Stroud's visitation privilege to meet his younger brother, whom he had not seen in eight years. Stroud stabbed and killed a guard, Andrew Turner, on March 26, 1916. He was sentenced to execution by hanging on May 27, and was ordered to await his death sentence in solitary confinement.

That's just part of his charactor. Typical of Hollywood in any era to symphatize with a piece of trash, much the same as they love Mumia.

38. Where in my post did I mention the killing of the guard? I merely stated that IF you were one of the innocents then the appeals wouldnt seem such bs.

39. Yes, where in my original post did I mention putting innocent folks to death?

:)

'Drew

40. You didn't nor did I mention the prisoner in question was innocent of killing the guard. Your point? I for one am willing to put up with the mindless BS even if it saves just one innocent from being put to death or imprisoned forever, especially if its me or a family member. I'd bet a pretty penny you would feel the same if it happened to you.

41. Like I said before, I am with you on the cut and dry ones such as this prisoner killing the guard. It's the not so cut and dry ones I'm concerned about.

42. We can agree on that.

My point was, for every innocent person in prison, we can clearly identify 10, 20 or 30 who did it, and really and truly did it.

Can we start with them? :cool:

:wavey:

43. Yes sir we can, fire up the chair.

44. if he's had enough, the bed sheets will work nicely.

45. I know right? People make these issues too complicated:cool:

46. Won't work. The sheets he gets are made of paper and tear very easily.

:cool:

47. I think I would rather take the needle than live like that. :shocked:

48. It's cruel and unusual punishment to keep him there any longer.

I will contract out to the federal prison system to dispose of said prisoner for a mere $50, to cover the cost of running the backhoe, one box of shells, and cleaning supplies.

49. I agree, but you got to remember that 27 yrs in prison is a lot more $$$$ to the system, whether it be state or federal (or both) than a quick(er) death row sentence. The prison industrial complex is a HUGE money maker for the states/feds/shareholders that are involved...:steamed:

50. +1

I agree we have to be very careful when handing out the death penalty. However, if an inmate kills a guard in prison there should be very very little doubt who did it. In cases where we have overwhelming evidence we have a duty to both God and our society to put these people to death. Executing murderers is one of the few essential functions of government and I'm really not concerned with what it costs. We waste billions of dollars every year on useless programs and pork; I will gladly pay my share to end the life of one of these predators.