27 years in .fed solitary confinement for killing a prison guard.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gallium, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

My 1st obvious question is, why are we in the business of sustaining trash? Especially trash with a proven broken record? Really he should have been made dead decades ago.

2. GTFord1

GTFord1

Yeah. Keeping mentally ill people in solitary for 27 years is going to cure them. He would have been better off dead.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010

3. A6Gator

A6Gator

Silverstein's isolation is the result of an unusual no-human-contact order issued by a judge in 1983, after he murdered a guard at the federal prison in Marion, Illinois. So why is this guy still breathing?

Other than it's another stupid judge story...

4. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

I'm a believer in the old fashioned traditional hanging. I can see ONE national long term prison, some sort of isolated giant ranch/farm for folks who just could NOT be told, repeatedly incarcerated types who hadn't killed others.. but in general I'm all about short, severe, educational prison sentences, or hanging 'em if they're an ongoing danger of death/maiming/rape to society. If they've demonstrated willful unconcern for the lives of others, with irrevocable consequences, hang them. Won't be all that many volunteers if it's quick, transparent, and obviously connected to public safety.

Death row is a torture zone. Once a death sentence is pronounced, it should be executed posthaste. All appeals should be exhausted between guilty & sentencing.

And any capital crime should be the first priority for any judge connected with the case. If there's going to be a guilty verdict, upheld on appeal, then the appeal should be THE issue anyplace it shows up. Not wait 3 days to open the mail. ALL appeals shouldn't take months, rather weeks. File em all simultaneously, address em immediately, get that verdict nailed down or thrown out. THEN pass sentence if required. And carry it out.

5. Bruce H

Bruce H

Ten seconds after he killed the guard his body should have spasmed for the last time.

6. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I say leave him right where he is.

:cool:

7. mymini40

mymini40

leave him alone. obviously he likes it.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

"We" are paying for his upkeep, and I guarantee you, it's not cheap, nor cost effective.

'Drew

9. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

There's a artist creation from his lawyer, of his conditions. Some say he's in a basement jail cell, all white light, lights 24/7. The cell directly faces the guard's desk, with a 20 foot buffer zone between jail cell and cell bars at guards desk.
    No noise, radio, or tv.......communication with guard is forbidden only written message to guard and or guard supervisor.

Camera's over his head and are recording.....very,very Dr. Lector of Silence of the Lambs. Saw this in the 1980's.......sounds like the same setup.

10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

What about those folks who get let out of prison for various and sundry henious crimes that DNA evidence "proved" the committed and then later new DNA "proved" they didn't?

How do you unring THAT particular bell?

11. trifecta

trifecta

Silverstein isn't trying to deny his responsibility for the three prison murders, nor is he trying to get out of prison, his lawyers say. He is remorseful, and two decades of good behavior should allow him to join the general prison population, they say.

So, is he remorseful for the first murder, the second and third, or the murder of a guard? And does two decades of good behavior, with no opportunity for bad behavior really count?

12. devildog2067

devildog2067

We can argue about how things "should be" until we're all blue in the face (and have, lots of times) but the simple fact is that the way things ARE, it's much cheaper to let this piece of garbage rot in a cell then to pay for his execution.

13. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

I knew that name sounded familiar. They showed him in a prison show some time back... name of the show escapes me at the moment.

And I read the book Hot House, life at Leavenworth. He was mentioned numerous times. Good book.

[​IMG]

14. Tank44

Tank44 Tank44

Are we supposed to feel sorry for a murderer? Any punishment is ok with me.

15. K720

K720

Sounds like he's right where he belongs as long as he continues to waste oxygen.

16. berto62

berto62

And it costs a whole lot more to kill him

17. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

I can do it for $ 0.11 American. A .22 lr to the back of the head should do it and then kick him into the hole.

18. Gallium

Gallium CLM

It's a wash either way ($22-34k a year, versus $1.5M for an execution)...but the thing is, if executions were handled efficiently, we could get that cost down to under $800k.

'Drew

19. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

I believe Washington is the only state left that has a gallows. The last to swing in Walla Walla was Westley Allan Dodd in '93.

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Because our system builds in truly frivolous appeals. It does not cost more to kill him because it COSTS more. It costs more because of mindless, inane BS built into the system.

'Drew