26 vs 19 questions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by boose88, Feb 18, 2010.

1. boose88

boose88

I have been shooting lots of different guns at the range recently and have narrowed my choice to the glock 26 or 19. I would like to carry this pistol in the near future and have a few specific questions that I am having a hard time finding some information on.

1. Can i put lots of rounds through the 26 and still have it be very reliable? it may save my life one day. or is this one of those guns where u should just carry it and not shoot it a lot? The 19, as i have heard, lots of rounds are no problem with proper maintenace.

2. I am 6'2" 175 lbs. tall and skinny. I have looked up a few holsters and still cant tell if the 19 would be really hard to conceal. Is there a a big problem or difference between the two?

3. As far as the sights go does anyone know what distance the fixed ones are set at? Should i even mess around with adjustable ones since (god help me) if i ever have to fire at someone its gonna be pretty close.

4. The barrel length difference (if im not mistaken) is one inch. i feel accuracy should be the same between the two. I believe its the shooter in this case. Would u agree?

5. I guess what i am trying to do is find a glock that i can go to the range and shoot a good amount of rounds through, conceal without a problem and trust my life with. I am open to all views. As a final question which would or did you choose?

Thanks everyone i appreciate all glock talks members and input!

2. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Same with the 26. Very reliable.

It will largely depend on HOW you carry(both position and cover garment). IWB in something like an MTAC or CTAC, the difference in the grip may cause printing.

The only thing I replace on my Glocks are the sights. I can tell you from Force of Force training, you rarely even see the sights in a CQB situation.
    That being said, if this will be a HD gun, night sights are a good idea.

Both are more accurate than you (or I) are.

Both are fine handguns. I find the G26 a bit easier to carry, and I can carry spare G19 mags if I need more rounds. (In other words, you can grow the 26 but not shrink the 19). Advantage to the G19 if you want to put a light on it for night stand duty.

Both are great guns. You really can't go wrong with either choice. As you are a bigger guy, handle the G26 and see if it fits your hand. Try the extensions on the mag, and don't let anyone tell you it makes it the same size as a 19, it's simply not true.

3. MonsterB

MonsterB

Rest asured the glock 26 will handle anything you throw at it and beg for more...it will excell at all you have asked about...it is every bit the same gun as the 19 just smaller...you can conceal the 19 at your size but not as easy as the 26. My 26 has 3500 rounds through it since Dec and it has only had one fte at about 700 rounds, and that I belive was a limpwrist issue..I have put everything from cheap wally world amo to reloads to highend hollowpoints and it eats everything.

4. MonsterB

MonsterB

definitely check out Hickok45 on youtube and watch the reviews he does on the 19 and 26, and especially the one called Austrian models, its a side by side comparison of most of the more popular Glocks...

5. kgwld1

kgwld1

I have both and a 17 and a 34 I carry all of them in a crossbred and during the winter 26 just disappears. The 19 is much harder to hide. I shoot both pretty close if your going to shoot this in idpa get the 19. You really can't go
    wrong

6. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

I'm about your build & height. I haven't owned a 19, but I had a 26 and just changed to a 27. I would be wary about carrying a larger weapon than a sub-compact Glock, FWIW.

7. Adionik

Adionik

I have shot reloads, hollow points, steel and brass ammo through my Glock 26. All went through flawlessly. Have no doubt in carrying this weapon to protect your life, I sure as hell don't.

8. F_G

F_G

They are the same thickness, I'm considerably shorter than you are and the 19 is a bit difficult to conceal unless I'm wearing a jacket. I just got my 26 and am still figuring out how I want to carry it, but early indicators point to it being somewhat easier to conceal.

So to your question 19 vs 26, do what I did and get both........:supergrin:

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

:goodpost::agree:

10. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

My G26 has never malfunctioned after lots of rounds. I can't even get it to limp wrist malfunction. Very easy to conceal but it is not something you just slip into your pocket like the LCP.
    I don't use any mag extensions. Typically, one's little finger doesn't do much anyway. You index and middle fingers are the one's controlling the gun.

It eats any ammo that I feed it including handloads. There might be something to what you'll hear about the 9mm's being the most reliable Glocks but my G30 is the same way.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either the 19 or the 26.

11. boose88

boose88

thank u everyone im very happy with the input. I wish my economic status was good enough for both 19 and 26. I fired the 26 with a small extension to get my pinkey around the grip and it felt comfortable (i have small hands for my size) so thats where im leaning right now and after some youtube vids that were suggested ill make the final decision.

Why the hell are night sights so damn expensive i dont wanna go over $600. I dont really see how they can be about $80. they are just dots lol

12. vmann

vmann Controller

if you can only have one, i would get the 19...i have a 22, 23, and a 27....the 23 and 27 are the same size as the 19 and 26...i carry the 27 because i have it, but back when i only had the 22 and the 23, the 23 was perfect for concealed carry...heck, i used to carry the 22 concealed...to big for me, but i did it...and i am only 5'8" and 175lbs...just get a good holster...

getting the 19 will ensure you have more fun at the range, and again, the size is good for a ccw...

13. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member

14. HYRYSC

HYRYSC

One interesting failure on the G26 that I observed just a few days ago at an indoor shooting range was the recoil spring failure on the G26.

A police officer was shooting his G26 which he said was his backup and the large spring on the twin recoil spring flattened out its retainer and "unsprung". This caused me a great deal of concern as both my wife and I both carry G26's.

Anyone else ever seen or heard of such a thing?

15. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

I find the G26 can disappear with the almost any clothes my G23 (G19 size) is a little more difficult to conceal in the Florida heat. I'd trust either my G23 or my G26 to carry everyday and work every time they are needed.

16. boose88

boose88

oh crap. one more question.
    The glocks do not have an external safety as u all know. So im kinda worried about the possibilty of someone takin the gun from me and instead of click it goes bang and no more me. Are there certain holsters or something that i can do to make the gun stay in my possession?

17. wax32

wax32 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Train! I have the 19 and have no problem concealing it. 6' 2" and 250lbs. The 26 just feels too small for my hands to shoot a lot at the range.

18. jp3975

jp3975

1. Can i put lots of rounds through the 26 and still have it be very reliable? it may save my life one day. or is this one of those guns where u should just carry it and not shoot it a lot? The 19, as i have heard, lots of rounds are no problem with proper maintenace.

It should be just as reliable.

2. I am 6'2" 175 lbs. tall and skinny. I have looked up a few holsters and still cant tell if the 19 would be really hard to conceal. Is there a a big problem or difference between the two?

We have similar stats. Im 6', 180lbs, slim build. I carry a G20 with no problem when I do carry...and it's one of the largest Glocks until you get into the longslides. Go for the 19 or 17. As for holsters try the glock holster. Its only $10 on ebay and works great.

3. As far as the sights go does anyone know what distance the fixed ones are set at? Should i even mess around with adjustable ones since (god help me) if i ever have to fire at someone its gonna be pretty close.

Cant tell you what theyre set at but adjustable sites are for competition, not combat. I wouldnt use them over stock.

4. The barrel length difference (if im not mistaken) is one inch. i feel accuracy should be the same between the two. I believe its the shooter in this case. Would u agree?

Accuracy is similar until you get to longer distance where it may make a difference.

5. I guess what i am trying to do is find a glock that i can go to the range and shoot a good amount of rounds through, conceal without a problem and trust my life with. I am open to all views. As a final question which would or did you choose?

For a 9mm? Steyr M9A1.

But of the choices given...Id take a 19. But would take a 17 or 34 over the 19.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  19. Zertek

Zertek

either one if fine

20. vmann

vmann Controller

if your worried about that, you probably dont need a gun...get some good training and build some confidence...

if the above situation happend, it would be the same results with any pistol or revolver....so dont think just because a glock is absent of any external safties that it is subject to issues that other weapons arent...