close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

26 Ankle Carry

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jaklcrow, Mar 8, 2010.

1. jaklcrow

jaklcrow

So im considering getting a gun for ankle carry and was just wondering if many people carry a 26 that way. Its def not all that small but im really not into Kel Tecs etc. thanks for any input

2. kueblerkt

kueblerkt

It is probably the most uncomfortable way to carry a pistol, not to mention that it will be extremely difficult to get your pistol out quickly in the event that you need to use it. If you want to get a 26, id recommend a smart carry/thunderwear holster.

If you are insistent on ankle carry, you should go with something less bulky like a kahr.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010

3. JohnQGlocker

JohnQGlocker

I sometimes carry a 26 in a Galco ankle glove with the calf band. (very nice rig) It's a nice option to have, but it is hard to get to. Most of the time I carry it IWB. That size Glock has ended up being my first choice 9x out of 10.

4. Larry V

Larry V

I ankle carry this with a Galco Ankle Glove. No Problems at all. I also put it in my Dickies cargo Pants pocket with an Uncle mikes Pocket Holtster and its easy to conceal!

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

My limited experience suggests that the quality of the ankle holster will have much to do with the comfort. I carried a Detonics in an ankle holster for 8-16 hours a day for a decade or so more comfortably than a J frame based on a more comfortable holster. It is of course not the fastest way to get to a handgun.

6. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I found the Thunderwear/Smart Carry uncomfortable with my 26. It also printed.

7. joe138

joe138

I carry a G26 everday in a Galco Ankle glove. Previous posts are correct in that the holster has a lot to do with the comfort. I tried Uncle Mikes over the years and finally bit the bullet and purchased the ankle glove and the ankle glove makes all the difference.

8. jsjdjn

jsjdjn

I Plan on getting Galco's Ankle Glove for my G26 to wear at work. 8 - 12 of Patrols. I assume I will need the extender band and the calf rig also. Pricey but I hear its the best out there. Anyone tried the BootLock?

9. Mark A

Mark A

^^^^^^
    this. I added the calf strap. This is very comfortable & I wear it every day. As far as being hard to get to, that is a matter of perspective:

I am either behind a desk or behind the wheel of my truck almost all day everyday. When sitting it is very easy to reach.

Mark

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Ankle carry works and is comfortable once you get used to it. I did it for 8 eyars when I was a polcie officer and my brother carries his Glock 27 backup on his ankle daily. I always carried a Mod. 60 and now a 637. One thing I've found is that the Galco ankle glove is probably the worst ankle holster ever made for concealment. I finally found a new Uncle Mike's, which actually holds the gun close to you ankle. The Galco holds too far from your ankle, so it's hard to conceal, and lets it move way too much. Look for a $30 Uncle Mikes if you really want to conceal a bigger gun.

Actually, my best ankle holster is even cheaper than UM and was an early 80's police issue holster for the Mod. 60 that even has a place for extra ammo and will conceal no matter what pants you wear, but the velcro is worn out on it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

True. One guy I used to work with shot a guy with the gun on his ankle because, laying in a car seat, he couldn't draw the one on his hiop.

12. FAS1

FAS1

I have an inexpensive Uncle Mike's ankle holster with calf strap that I use from time to time with my P3AT. Even with the strap I find the holster moves down after just a little until it rests on my ankle bone. I know the Galco is superior in quality and comfort since I think it has some additional lining on the back of the holster, but with the weight of the G26 how do you keep it off the ankle bone? It hurts with the Keltec after just a couple hours.

13. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Been carrying a 27 ankle style for almost 10 yrs. Don't even notice it anymore.

14. jsjdjn

jsjdjn

What holster?

15. 1canvas

1canvas

i have carried a ss S&W 640 .357 j frame in an ankle glove for years with no problem, but it is something you have to get used to. if you don't carry that way for a while it feels strange for about the first hour than your ok. i just bought a 27 and plan to carry it that way at times. my thinking is when loaded they weigh the same so there shouldn't be a problem. i do think the comfort may have something to do with ankle size, my ankles are pretty thick. i never use the calf strap.
    one thing that is helpful is once you find that sweet spot [not to tight not to loose] mark it with a marker. that way you always put it on right and not always readjusting it.
    i know the ankle glove is expensive but its worth it.

16. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

I highly suggest you don't ankle carry any gun, UNLESS it is a secondary firearm you are carrying for back up. If you are looking for a way to carry without having to carry it IWB, I suggest buy cargo pants / shorts that have deep pockets for pocket carry and a nice pocket holster that'll stay in place. This is how my buddy's uncle carries, if it prints, it just looks like a wallet.

17. themiller

themiller

carry G26 around the house in my ankle rig (Galco Ankle Glove), foget its on. (Wife doesnt like ("seeing" me carry, but doesnt mind otherwise, and I don't like wearing shirts - so thats how we do eet)

18. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

7 years with my 27 in my Galco ankle rig. I also no longer notice it there.

I suggest using GAP floorplates. Also, you can make a vertical cut on your "carry pants" to allow for a slightly quicker draw/reach. I'm actually having my wife fix a pair of jeans for me with a velcro release and see how that will work.

DH

19. jaklcrow

jaklcrow

ok cool thanks for the responses, I think ile prob give it a shot. im not planning on ankle carry as my primary carry method, ile be carrying my 1911 IWB normally. just want an option for deeper carry in some situations

20. NWoutdoor

NWoutdoor

Another fan of the new Uncle Mikes ankle holsters:wavey:

I carry a LCP mostly because that is all my slacks let me get away with. If they are somewhat baggy at the bottom I'll carry my G27.

I did carry a SW638 for a spell but has since been locked in my truck.

The Uncle Mikes ankle holsters need to be worn 1) for a day or two to break in, and 2) in the right position to not cause discomfort. They are minimalist and carry a gun as heavy as a G27 very well once user adjusted. And, they come with the calf strap which is required.

Hope this helps..