close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

$2500 Wilson Tactical vs. $500 Glock 35

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by specop, Dec 4, 2002.

1. specop

specop

Alright, I just survived a mutiny on my team. I'm in a tactical unit with a west coast agency where the majority of us carry Glock 23's and some G22s. I was a Kimber man until I attended an intense one week long firearms course where the 1911 died and the Glock survived. Well, one agent on my team bought a Colt CCO. Shortly after, another one purchased a Wilson CQB; soon another guy threw down $2500 for a Tactical Elite! Well now, I tried a 100 round tactical qual course with my G35 against the agent with the Wilson CQB. The rangemaster saw no difference except for the fact the G35 was in the game longer because of the mag capacity. I tried out the CQB from 15 to 25 yards to see what kind of accuracy existed compared to my G35. I'll tell you right now...No Difference!

Yes there is an elite coolness factor in carrying a cocked and locked custom 1911...I mean look at the FBI HRT, Delta operators, LAPD SWAT, etc. But the extra clams you save with a G35 which I think shoots just as well as the $2000 gun is very important.

What do you guys think about the G35 matching up neck and neck with Wilson's guns in accuracy, functionality, tactical use and price?

2. TLHelmer

TLHelmer Millennium Member

G-35, It is reliable, accurate, hi-capacity and affordable.

3. Islander72

Islander72

To me it boils down on the shooter. If you spend that much money on a gun thinking that you'll be a good shot just because you have all the bells and whistles on it. Your just fooling yourself. Practice and training drills are key.

4. FORTY

FORTY Millennium Member

Didn't we just do this?

Why in God's name would anyone spend 5 times more money to get a pistol that's about 100 times more likely to malfunction or just plain break; and holds half as many rounds, while weighing twice as much......because it looks "cooler"?

It doesn't make sense with a car or a watch, and it damn sure doesn't make any sense with a pistol you're going to stake your life on.

For $2500 you could get an AR-15, a G-35, a G-23, and a G-27, and still have a little left over for accessories and ammo.

If someone GAVE me a $2500 1911, I'd leave it in the box until I could find some gullible sap to take it off my hands.

5. Thorazine

Thorazine

Jesus christ that's a lot of money for a 1911! Is there any difference between the wilson and a P14 that's been accurized, with goodies for well under 70% of the price of the wilson?

6. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

I have some pretty expensive pistols, including a $1000 Kimber Gold Match, a custom Colt Defender at $1400, a custom Kahr 9 at $850.. But a $2500 pistol? For what?

Now is anyone disputing these facts:

A) The Wilson is at the most just as reliable as a Glock.

B) The Wilson, at combat ranges from 0 feet to 30 yards gives no
    advantage in accuracy.

C) The Wilson, in .45 .vs. .40 is maybe an itty-bitty more powerful, and that is a maybe as the Glocks rifling and longer barrel brings the .40s velocity up. I think something like a 135gr at 1400 fps.

D) The Wilson is heavier, around twice as heavy fully loaded.

E) Both are easy to shoot.

Ok, if you have the money, honey, I guess Wilson has the time. Like the one above posted, for $2500 you can get a Glock 35, a DSA FNFAL or AR-15, and maybe even a backup Glock 27 for your efforts. Now THAT'S how I would spend the money.

And if 'cool' is what you want, just get the Glock 35, a few addons like Hinnie sights, and spend to money training at some real good schools. Then, with a master rateing, to me you are 'cool'.

Deaf

7. TEAK

TEAK 1*

as a buddy of mine up at the pd said, he carrys a S&W 45 and gets 9 shots, I carry a G35 with 17 shots I WIN!!!!!!!!!;I

8. KIDCOP

KIDCOP Rifle Master Millennium Member

Teak, my 35 holds 15 and with 1 in the chamber makes for 16. Whats up with the 17? Kid

9. TEAK

TEAK 1*

my fat fingers...........sorry

10. Apprentice

Apprentice

Both neat guns but don't sell top of the line 1911's short. For those with the money or the budget (public sector) the elite 1911 (Kimbers and Para's not included in that category) offers that inth degree of superior shootability that few need and even fewer can exploit.

There are very real reasons why the most elite Army unit and the FBI HRT still use such a 1911. They don't do it out of nostalgia.

11. Roger C

Roger C

Wasn't it Ayoob that said that his idea of a $2500 defensive pistol is a Glock 30 in the glove box of a used VW? ;) ;a

12. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Glock 35, and $ $1,500.00 in ammo:) :)

13. RadarRunner

RadarRunner Millennium Member

I was getting really puzzled too! Thought maybe I had just overlooked a way to get an extra round in there! ;e

14. Terry Newton

Terry Newton

If you insist on buying the Wilson, go buy a Kimber with all the bells and whistles. They are both the same guns, made at the same factory, by the same people.

Wilson puts his name on them, and then jacks the price up. Correct me if I am wrong, because I do not have any personal experience with them, but I heard the Wilson's were not that good.

Go buy two G35's and a lot of ammo.

15. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Alive or cool--wouldn't be a hard choice for me.

16. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

It just so happens, that I own both a G35 and a high-end 1911 the following attachment shows my tricked out G35 and a SV Infinity single stack 1911 chambered in 40 S&W. Guess what I’m extremely happy with both to me they are like tools each one has its pros and cons and as long as you know the firearms capabilities and yours you’ll never have a problem with either. BTW, I use these specifically for IDPA CDP and USPSA/IPSC Limited/Limited 10 competition and neither one has failed me yet. So from my view of the world if you can afford to buy these things then do so if you can’t stop trying to justify why it’s a bad choice and get a better paying position so you can purchase anything your little heart desires and that way you wont have to come up with lame excuses as to why x is better than y anyhow that’s my two cents.

17. Falkov

Falkov

If I had a $2500 pistol, I would sell it and buy something cheaper and just as good and usable. Because, I want to shoot it and not having to worry about it.

For an expensive pistol, I probably will end up pampering it and that is not what it is designed for. Mostly, likely gonna get myself hurt/kill if I really do need pistol, simply because it is too pretty to practice a live fire on.

I sold my pre ban FAL, Colt- still brand new for a much cheaper post ban parts guns , for the same reason. Good thing I got a G24 for real cheap so I can shoot as much as I want to.

My experience on watch and expensive car, however, is that they sometimes are a necessity. Many times, appearance do count and is the first thing other (potential business partner) will see and sometimes judge you by. I prefer to wear a Casio than my Rolex, simply because it works so well and expendable. But, I don't have other choice.

Now on the Glock and other expensive pistol? I will only use Glock and other affordable pistol which can perform as good as Glock itself. So,I can practise more.

18. johnphin

johnphin

I really like the looks of the Wilson CQB, but, c'mon, $2,000?! Maybe one of these days if I have extra money and just want a toy. I like the way it looks, though, with the olive drab frame and black slide. The web site says that flicking the safety on and off is like closing the door of a fine german car, that's kinda neat. Still, I have to wonder what a $500 springfild sent to wilson to be coated olive drab would be like.