close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

25 yards needing work / help please.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Sep 22, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I just got back from the range and I was shooting my stock G24, stock G22, and my g22 racegun. Seems I shoot them all with about the same level of accuracy and speed. All my shots, with the exception of a few flyers, at 5, 10, and 15 yards were within a 5 inch circle. At 20 the groups were still easily within the A&B zones with maybe 10% in the C zone, but at 25 my shots spread dramatically. The majority of my shots are still within the C zone but theres probably 15% of them going to the D zone. Why would my shooting at 25 yards be so much worse than at 15 and 25? Does anyone know any drills or techniques that are designed specifically for the longer range shots? Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help I recieve.:wavey:

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

2.5 years of doing this, and that's still my most difficult challenge.

All I can say is: practice, practice, practice. It is a long slow road.

3. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

Shoot at 50 yds?

I tried this and was disappointed at the "group" (pattern). Really exposed my flaws though.

4. mike g35

mike g35

Thanks Ron, I kind of figured since I have already gotten a good drill and practice routine down (thanks again Ron) and that the long distance shooting would just be a matter of putting rounds down range. But I was really hoping someone might have some ingenious way of making it easier, however if you don't know and no-one else here knows then I don't think thats going to happen. As for trying to shoot at 50 yards, I wouldn't waste my time. You have to hit the target to see where your mistakes are and I don't think there's a chance in h e double hockey sticks I can hit a target that far away.

5. CUTigers2002

CUTigers2002

I refer to the 25 yarder as the great equalizer!! I'm not a master shooter by any stretch, but my solution is to shoot it slower. Turning a D into a C will save you 2 seconds on your score. So if you take a full second to take the shot, you gain a second on your over-all time.

Over time I have slowly eliminated my misses. Now I am trying to eliminate my D's. It doesn't happen overnight...not sure I've helped you, but know you aren't the only one who finds this shot a challenge.

6. mike g35

mike g35

It sounds like alot of us find this shot challenging. I have no problems with misses but what I am trying to accomplish is no C hits. I guess its like Ron said " practice practice practice". I have tried a little bit of everything to make the 25 yard shot better and it just doesn't want to happen. All I can hope for is that they will use a 5 to Glock set-up in lexington that doesn't have the 75 foot shot in it.

7. PM720

PM720

Have you tried a scoped rifle? Still trying to figure out how to disguise it like a Glock! :supergrin:

Scott

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

shoot faster

9. SARDG

SARDG

you devil... :)

10. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I am working on the same thing. If I would have shot the civ clean at my last match I could have took first. So this winter is all about longer range and accuracy. At the indoor range 75% of my practice is at 25yds, at the outdoor range I am useing 8" steel plates to practice 40/50/60/70 yds(not to succsessful but it makes me slow down and concentrate) . I was shooting the stock G22 at the last match, speed was good but accuracy sucked (129.9 with 56 in penaltys, 10 seconds wasted on the plates due to ammo). I had switched bullet weights for my reloads to make it softer shooting since me and my wife were sharing the gun but didn't have time to check accuracy before the match. Come to find out my groups were horrible, shots inconsistent and over all the ammo sucked. I used that ammo for civ and even worse ammo for comp (50 second difference in score). So I switched to a G17 with good solid loads. My wife got a video of me shooting the plates and you can see the bullets flying everywhere even shooting slow (averraging 7.5 seconds per string).

So ya basically I am improving my 25 with better ammo and practicing at longer range. After shooting 40-50yds I set the plates up at 15yds and they seem pretty big.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  11. mike g35

mike g35

Same thing happened to me at my first match. Penalties ate me up because I tried to shoot faster than I am really capable of shooting. I am just getting into reloading, I am going to order a Dillon 650xl some time in the next couple weeks, so I do not yet have the opportunity to tune my loads to my guns. Right now I'm shooting WWB 165gr FMJ and they actually group pretty well. Does being able to reload and build the ammo to your preference really have anything to do with how accurate you shoot? Like I said I am planning to reload soon mainly because of the fortune I spend on ammo every month but if tuning a load to my gun will affect accuracy (in a good way) then I may order my gear sooner and get some loads ready for the match.

12. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I believe so, my loads I am useing for my G17 now group better then WWB and Fed in my G17, which takes away my excuses :whistling:

13. mike g35

mike g35

Thats good news for me then, I cant wait until I can load down some of my 40's. The recoil doesn't bother me and the muzzle flip isn't bad but if I can just lessen their effects a little I think it woud be extremely helpful. I actually shoot the 40's better than 9's because the 40 has a little more punch and it makes me slow down just a bit and be more careful so I don't want to get rid of all the recoil but a little less wouldn't hurt. I know that sounds crazy but so far its working. I shoot alot more accurate and quite a bit faster with my 40's than I did with my 9's.

14. MajorD

MajorD

any standard ammo or properly assembled reload from any functional glock should still give you 5 inch groups or better at 25 yards- SLOW DOWN. taking an extra second to get A/B hits is better than going faster and getting c's or d's. I've managed to make master class shooting my stock 19 with whatever 9mm ammo I can get my hands on. coming from a bullseye shooting background the targets and distances for gssf, yes even that 25 yard target, seem huge to me. I buy whatever 9mm fmj ammo I can get on sale- I've even gone up to the line at a gssf match with two or three brands of ammo mixed in the same magazine-didn't matter.
    Can some guns shoot better with some types of ammo compared to others- absolutely- but is it enough to say it will make the difference between a good score and bad- no.

15. njl

njl

A) because its further (so inaccuracy is magnified by the distance).
    B) because the target gets smaller, so sight picture is harder. IIRC, at 25yds, the rear sight pretty much covers the full width of a D1, and good luck seeing any hint of the rings. You have to just know where they are and/or aim for center of mass of the target.

Honestly, if you're at all challenged by the A ring at 5yds, you're going to be in trouble at 25yds. If you've got many Ds at 25, you need to just take those shots a little slower. An extra second per shot to improve your sight picture will more than pay for itself.

16. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Practice at 20 yards until you can get all "A" hits.

17. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Tagged. Part of the trouble I have shooting at distance is that the target is so danged blurry. Focusing on the front sight, I can still see the target pretty well at short distances through my peripheral vision, but at bigger distances, it's a big blur. No matter how good my sight picture is, it's impossible to hone those rounds into the same spot on the blurry image I see.

18. njl

njl

If you're lucky enough to have access to a range with a steel plate rack, try practicing those at 25yds.

19. mike g35

mike g35

Thanks for all the info guys. I am definitely going to put it to use. My 25 yard problem is definitely sight picture (figured that out while doing some dry fire practice earlier) and I have enough information here to start trying some things to help me. Thanks again.
    I was watching the video that my father shot of the Beckley match and I noticed some shooters holding the gun pretty close to their face instead of extending there arms. Whats that about? I extend my arms but still leave both elbows bent to absorb recoil but the 2 shooters I'm speaking of had their guns maybe 18 inches away from their face.

20. njl

njl

Wouldn't bringing the gun closer to your face have the same effect as using thinner front sight or wider notch rear sight? i.e. the closer your eye gets to the rear sight, the more space you'll see on either side of the front sight. It might help them be surer of their sight picture for the longer shots. I'm just guessing though.