25 Yard Handgun Shooting

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Terry G, Sep 24, 2020.

1. amd65

amd65

If you think 25 or 50 yds is too far, do this...
    Go to an outdoor range. Look at the guys putting up targets at 25yds, and ask yourself if they could be a threat at that range...
    Are you going to hope that guy at 25yds is as bad a shot as you?
    BTW, I often stretch pistols out to 100yds.

2. John_AZ

John_AZ

I frequently shoot the AZPOST semiauto qualification , out to 25 yards, using a S&W 442. It’s not that difficult. And definitely don’t shoot prone.

IAhunter and Wyoming like this.

3. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

With a compact/snubbie, maybe though qualifying at 15 yards is required for CCW. For a full size service pistol, no.

4. JBP55

JBP55

Fifty years ago in order to qualify we had to shoot one part of the handgun course from 50 yards.

bigsteve113 likes this.
  5. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

A couple of observations relating to this post, as I too just happened to shoot my 218 qual a few days ago:
    The majority of the guys/gals who came out to shoot were 60+ yrs old...so age is definitely a factor regarding the accuracy of our shooting
    In this state: GA, we must shoot the same qual course as the active-duty LEO's are required to shoot, and on the same targets etc., so we do not have any latitude regarding distance etc.
    The scoring system is pass/fail, by design, to shield the instructor from having to testify regarding our accuracy=score. If ever asked under oath, the instructor can state that the "subject" met the state requirement, nothing more.
    The General Public gives LE much more credit than we are due, regarding our marksmanship skills. Sure there are the "gun guys/gal" every agency has them; but by and large, the mainstream officer is just an average shooter.
    And there are also a small contingency of officers in every agency who are absolutely terrified of going to the range, always shoot poorly, always have to remediate, and some also lose their guns/cars until they get extra training to re-qual
    On my range-day, there were only a couple of us retirees who felt the qual was fun at all...most were bored stiff and some even resentful they had to show up at all
    I guess either you like to shoot or you don't...personally, I jump at the chance to shoot whenever I can...but many other LEO's do not, and their attitudes directly affect their performance.

ronin.45 likes this.
  6. Current Resident

Current Resident

There are two indoor range with 50 yards and then the outdoor ranges too, if I have the chance I shoot 25 and 50 yards I try to make it a point to practice that.

CanyonMan likes this.
  7. CBennett

CBennett

I guess its viable and ok for active duty guys..as LE you may actually NEED to engage someone at that distance...so no issue with it if you're still on the job...for retired though 15 is the furthest i think viable..as for retired i cant see much.realistic.scenario shooting past 15....

I qualify this Wed for my first retirement Leosa qualification...3/7/15 is the course of fire...only thing im not fond of is Imo for retired guys they need to gear it more to retired CC type stuff rather than duty type stuff. And realize people will have much more for instance Iwb and compact to subcompact carry than Owb\duty holster and full size weapon carry.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    bigsteve113 likes this.
  8. ronin.45

ronin.45

I think it was earlier this summer when the GT monthly drill was one-handed shooting at a sheet of printer paper as far back as you could go before missing. I think I hit 45 strong and 50 weak with a Glock 17. Never hurts to test your fundamentals with some distance.

Wyoming and -JCN- like this.
  9. -JCN-

-JCN-

I think what a lot of people are missing is how (in)accurate they are at 7 yards.

My wife did her CCW recert and the shooting abilities of the other people were atrocious. They were barely able to keep their shots on a paper plate at 7 yards.

I told her that there was no way they’d be able to hit anything at 15 or 20.

It was snowing earlier this year when I did my recert so we shot from 16 yards (covered shed). I went very rapid fire with a G26 that I hadn’t shot in two years. My 10 shot group is circled.

17045DFD-04C6-4F75-9490-618949215433.jpeg

You can see that others did not do as well.

It’s not about the distance. It’s about the trigger control and the mechanics.

Someone who can put shots in an A zone at 25 yards on a timer, can be VERY accurate and very fast at closer distances.

And isn’t that what you want in a self defense situation? The ability to put rounds where you want them? Not just in the general area you’re kind of aiming at.

IAhunter and ronin.45 like this.
  10. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

In PPC we had to shoot from standing and kneeling at 25 and at 50 in kneeling, prone, and from each side of a barricade. I was a below-average PPC shooter and kept everything mostly in the 9 ring at 50, the average guys could hold the 10 ring without dropping a shot and the really good guys could hold the X ring.

I know a lot of agencies have given up on 25 yard quals, which I think is nuts.

I practice headshots at 25 with all of my carry guns except my Ruger LCP. I can reliably hit them with my Shield 9mm, my G19 and G17, so so with my 365 SAS, and with my Canik TP9V2, it's like putting from a foot away.

25 yards is not hard and if you aren't practicing at it, you're selling yourself short.

-JCN- likes this.
  11. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow

I always think 100 yards is wayyy out there, but when you see someone standing there, you realize it isn't that dang far away. 25 yards with a pistol should be doable by most anyone with decent eyesight, I would think. My groups might be 8-10-12 inches, but that should be a good amount of hits if needs be.