25 Yard Handgun Shooting

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Terry G, Sep 24, 2020.

1. rogn

rogn real dogs

Did they hit it?

2. Wojo88

Wojo88

couldn't agree more, my son and I shoot every weekend at our steel targets. They are a silhouette small size, and various plates up to 8". We can consistently make them sing and one day we actually measured how far we were shooting and it was 43 yards. Never planned it just happened that way so to us it was a normal day of practice.

ak103k likes this.

3. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

We used to start off with trying to pinch out the little man on the left side or the target, then we would move back to 25 and work our way in on the normal size target

4. ak103k

ak103k

I was just pointing out some reality as far as real-world distances go, and something I dont think a lot of people even consider when they practice. Realistic distances, which often dont look all that far, are often a lot longer than you might think.

Id be willing to bet, many, if not most civilian carriers couldnt pass a basic police qualification course with what they carry, or even with something more appropriate. And those courses of fire are pretty lenient from what Ive seen.

The couple of courses Ive taken over the years that were acceptable for those who had to have that to get a carry permit, required very little of the shooter, yet many there had trouble making a passing score, if they actually did. The guys running those classes, were very lenient in their scoring.

We dont have to qualify here to get a permit, and while I think thats the way it should be, as it is "our" responsibility to be proficient and competent with what we carry. If you screw up, you should be held responsible for your actions.

Having seen the level of competence of a lot of people Ive seen shoot, to me, the thought of all these people with little to no actual shooting skill or experience walking around with a loaded gun, is pretty friggin scary. But.... that is their right. Hopefully, they understand the responsibility part, but I wouldnt bet on it. ;)

You should qualify with what you carry. If you cant pass a basic qualification course with what you carry, then you need to get a gun you can qualify with, not lessen the requirements to fit the gun.

A lot of people want to carry these little "back up" guns, and then whine its not fair and get all pissy, when they cant meet some minimum requirements for something realistic or someone questions it. Human nature I guess. Easier to ***** than do the work.

My Glocks have the largest (fattest) front sights of all my handguns, and while Id like them a tad thinner, they still work fine at speed. At closer distances, 5-7 yards and in, I really dont use them anyway, and if I do, its the dots I see, and not a traditional sight picture. I usually dont start looking for that, until Im at 10-15 yards or so.

5. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

we don't seem to have that problem in GA , firearms training is very important to the agencies in our area.

6. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

In our Louisiana P.O.S.T. Qualification 18 of the total 60 rounds fired are at 25 yards.

Gray Dood likes this.
  7. ronin.45

ronin.45

Glad to hear it. Hopefully more departments follow in GA's footsteps.

8. jonb32248

jonb32248

No sorry I was thinking about the shooting in front of the building a few yrs back when I worked in Manhatten. Maybe not the same incident but yeah a bunch of shots and no hits except bystanders I think.

9. PrescottGlock

PrescottGlock

[​IMG]
    25 yards is my limit for keeping the rounds on the silhouette.

GlockPolock likes this.
  10. Henny

Henny NRA Life Benefactor, GOA Life.

My exact same experience BamaTrooper.

11. rogn

rogn real dogs

Sorry about the SA comment. I think they did hit the criminal but injured several bystanders with ricochets.

jonb32248 likes this.
  12. Wyoming

Wyoming

25 yards too far?

My brother comes visit me every year. He lives east of the Mississippi where a 100 yard shot would be unlikely even with a rifle. I have a Glock 19 set up just like his so he doesn't have to fly with gun.

I had him hitting a 12" square about 50% of the time at a100 yards shooting off the hood for a rest. Later during his visit I hit the 200 yard gong with a Kimber 1911 off hand.

Bullets go a long way. If you can hit a 3" circle at 25 yards you can hit a12" circle at 100 yards.

If I can see where I am hitting I can walk bullets in and what I can see. Look at my avatar. Shooting long range with a handgun is one of the things I do for fun.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    CanyonMan and Henny like this.
  13. Bradley T

Bradley T

Colt's 1991, low ready, two hands, one shot about every two seconds, 2 magazines x 5rds, 25 yards, WWB 230 ball: IMG_20200925_220627343.jpg
    Well four of them went in there real nice, but the other six....I don't know. That dang too-long trigger makes me pull right.
    (Actually this is the best string I shot, usually quite a bit worse!)

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Factory stock Springfield Range Officer, 50 yards, strong-hand unsupported.

slowfire-RO.JPG

Factory stock Ruger MKIV 22/45 25 yards, strong-hand unsupported, 10 rounds in 40 seconds.

ruger.JPG

-JCN-, PrescottGlock and Wyoming like this.
  15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Man amen to this.... Long range is just flat fun, hand gun or rifle. We have a 600 yd range (natural range) on the ranch, and shoot everything from 380/Makarov, to the largest caliber hand guns, and rifles at various distance within that 600yds.

Hand load a bucket of rounds for that caliber and go have fun. All guns are more capable of playin with at longer than 50/100/yards. I'm sure not sayin I hit everything all the time , but I do pretty good with old eyes... ;)

CM
    :horse:

88793.jpg

GlockPolock and Wyoming like this.
  16. Terry G

Terry G

This wasn't a CCW permit course, it was a LEOSA course, and you have to HIT at 25 yards to qualify.

CanyonMan likes this.
  17. JBP55

JBP55

The P O S T Course in Louisiana was changed several years ago to 12 rounds at the 25 yard line. There were several other changes as well but it is still 60 rounds for a possible score of 120.

bigsteve113 likes this.
  18. bigsteve113

bigsteve113

You are correct sir. It did change just a few years ago. Just showing my age is all !

19. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    No, 25 yards is not too far. My Sheriff’s Department administered AZ Post Certification LEOSA qual includes 25 yard line timed fire. Needless to say not in the prone position.

The course of fire I used to qualify with on duty years ago included 12 rounds at the 50 yard line and 18 at 25 yards out of 72 rounds total for the course.

I just laugh when I read “internet warriors” posting that practice farther than 7 or 10 yards is useless since deadly force encounters occur at close range. Horse-hockey! The person that can hit center mass within a human sized torso at 50 yards can also hit a much smaller target at close range, such as a portion of a bad guy that is not behind cover. I’ll wager that a bunch of those same “internet warriors” don’t practice beyond ten yards is that they can’t hit anything beyond ten yards.

YMMV

Terry G likes this.
  20. PrescottGlock

PrescottGlock

Agree 100% that working at distance helps accuracy. I start at 25 yards and work my way in to 15 yards, 10 yards and finally 7 yards. The longer distances emphasize where I am missing.

After the first go-round at 25 yards, 15 yards seems like it is so close I can touch it.

IAhunter likes this.