25 Yard Handgun Shooting

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Terry G, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

No, 25 yards is not too far. Back in the day, P.O.S.T. in Louisiana mandated from 3 yards to 25. 25 yards included both left and right barricade as well. And LOTS of people not only qualified, but shot close to 120 (a perfect score with all in the 9 ring or better). "Master" rating included shooting to 50 yards.

Below is a recent range session, with my now 60 year old eyes, and a mirror of my Jurrasic duty weapon, a 4" S&W Model 66. 25 yards double action slow fire, unrested.

I had much better eyes at 21-35 yoa. :)

25 yards, or longer, should be in your toolbox.

20200614_123950.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    jimcorbin, dbuck47, Chui and 7 others like this.
  2. PrescottGlock

PrescottGlock

To those showing targets - nice shooting. I am inspired to duck out of work early to the range and light up a magazine of 124 gr. 9mm at 25 yards.

I'll post the results ... if they're good.

-JCN- and nikerret like this.

3. JBP55

JBP55

Fifty years ago we had to qualify with a S&W 64 starting at 50 yards. For many years now we have to qualify by shooting 12 rounds behind barricade starting at 25 yards in the beginning. Recent years I have shot below a perfect score due to age/injuries and now neuropathy in my legs cause balance issues.

Deputydave and Bren like this.
  4. JBP55

JBP55

A perfect score on the Louisiana P O S T course has been 60 rounds for a possible perfect score of 120 for long time now.

Chui likes this.
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

People who can't shoot a &^%$ing handgun and suggest that we lower the standard for everyone to their level, make me angry far beyond what is reasonable.

Learn to shoot. If you can't or won't learn to shoot, quit acting like people with perfectly ordinary, basic shooting skills are being unreasonable. Until a few years ago, every state trooper I knew qualified once or twice a year at 25 yards with either a S&W Model 60 or, after that, a Walther PPK/S. That isn't even hard.

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

To those who can, Practicing from 3 to 25 yds is an excellent idea. out to 50 is a good idea.
    Better to be accomplished at this and never need it, than to need it, and can't do it, or afraid of it. Yes, most SD situations are up close and in your face, but you never know when you may be in the position to do something different. Staying cool and calm and "confident," goes a long way here.

25 yds is just not that long a shot. ;)

CanyonMan
    :horse:

Henny likes this.
  7. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Correct.

Sorry, mixed my matches. :)

Corrected the post too.

Chui likes this.
  8. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I guess I should tell CMP and NRA to cancel their 600 yard and 1,000 yard competitions?

9. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

They don’t put record what gun you use, at least not here. I shot my last LEOSA with my P210; I don’t carry it as a CCW.
    Our course is 6 standing/6 kneeling from 25yd with barricade IN 35 SECONDS FOR GOD’S SAKE.

Then we run to the 15, draw and fire 3. Total 8 seconds. Stay at ready gun for 3 strings of 3 in 5 seconds per string.

Next is 8 seconds to move from 15 to 7, draw and fire 2. Holster gun and then fire 12 in 25 seconds.

Last stage is 35 seconds to step to 5yd and Fire 6 strong hand only and then 6 weak hand only.

Times for some of the :fred: is lenient to say the least, but still.... all you need is a 70. Get 2 in from 25 and you could lose the 3 & 2 required from movement and still qualify.

-JCN- likes this.
  10. Henny

Henny NRA Life Benefactor, GOA Life.

Ehhh, I’m retired LEO and a LEOSA hole counter.

This is what I was doing the other day. 25 yards are the easy ones! :clown:

Hits were in the “C” zone.

611F672E-A97E-41B1-AD9A-33DA903FCC0B.jpeg
    ( I did this for some of my prior rifle class students.....they were joking around about the “old man” only being able to shoot rifles).

-JCN-, jmontgomery and PattonWasRight like this.
  11. bac1023

bac1023

That’s generally the farthest I shoot with most my handguns.

Fatboy2001 likes this.
  12. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

thumbs up.jpg

13. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Even with my old eyes, I can ring a metal target at 25 yards. However , this is because I'm at a range and I know I can/I'm suppose to shoot.

In an everyday situation (ie I'm walking down the street, etc... in bright daylight) I can see a person at 25 yards but cannot see clearly enough whether their hand is holding a gun or a sandwich. I do not plan on shooting at anyone at 25 yards unless they're obviously shooting/hurting a third party... and even then, I would need to hear victim/witnesses screaming "oh my god, oh my god..." before I act.

For patrol cops/working cops, yes, they need to qualify at 25 yards.

14. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Just for giggles a friend and I shot a Glock 22 40 cal at 200 yards, off hand standing

Target was about three feet square and we hit it better than half the time

IIRC we aimed about the height of the target above the target to make hits on it

15. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Every week all summer with the python. I hate shooting outside that black 5 inch center. Of course ive got a red dot and at 50 yards its single action.
    The league is over and next week is our last time outside. I’m gonna take the k-38s and the python 38 without the dot and have some fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willie_pete likes this.
  16. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Remember 40 years ago part of the Qualification Course had a 50 yard stage? I think LEOs were better shooters than. With 9mm and .40 caliber handguns the courses are much easier.

Now for LEOSA and retirees. We should fire at 5, 10 and 15 yards. JMHO :cop:

17. Cambo

Cambo

I regularly shoot at 25 yards to push myself. Thankfully with CZs, it's easy to appear competent.

Terry G and Glock Commander like this.
  18. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

All the CMP stuff is 50 yards isn't it?

19. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

I think we should consider:
    1- Having the skills necessary to make hits at distance
    2- Understand limitations
    a- Shooter ability
    b- equipment
    3- Be able to justify your actions since some shots might be justified at longer than “normal” distances

https://www.historylink.org/File/8767

pertinent snippet-
    Meanwhile, Senior Airman Andrew P. Brown, age 25, with the 92nd Air Force Security Police Squadron, was patrolling the base’s housing areas on a bicycle when he received an emergency call on his two-way radio. He pedaled a quarter-mile to the scene and, while still some 70 yards away, spotted Mellberg shooting at scores of panic-stricken people in the parking lot.

Brown ditched his bicycle and ordered the gunman to drop his weapon. When Mellberg turned and shot at him, Brown dropped into a combat crouch and returned fire with his 9mm Beretta M9 semiautomatic pistol. He fired four rounds at Mellberg; two missed, one hit him in the shoulder and one struck him between the eyes, instantly ending his homicidal rampage. The drum magazine in Mellberg’s MAK-90 still held 19 rounds of ammunition.

darkenfast, fg17, nikerret and 2 others like this.
  20. roundball

roundball This is the set-up for reloading

Elsewhere, I got into a bitter fight in another forum. Most of the people were fixated on 3 in 3 seconds at close range. One citizen pointed out the aisles at Wally World or most super markets. There are more and more situations to do require longer shots. It's the age of mass shootings.