24h Fast

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Slackinoff, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Yes

Water, occasional black coffee, occasional water with some electrolyte powder.

Daily:
    Bayer One a Day Multivitamin

A few times a week:
    Berg's Nutritional Yeast (Vitamin B)
    Berg's Electrolyte Powder

Even though his information seems to be good and I like some of his products, Dr. Berg bugs me - his approach and personality comes across like a scammer to me. His being a chiropractor does not aid in my opinion of him.

By a huge margin I am more of a fan of Dr. Jason Fung. Fung is an actual physician whose specialty lead him to this niche. I highly recommend Dr. Fung's books.

TeaDub, Scott1970 and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  2. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I honestly am not sure; my weight had ballooned quite a bit beyond the capabilities of my uber-obese-capable scale. My fast covered January 2020 - and while it was not that long ago - it seems like it was years - I honestly forget the details - I remember I guestimated my weight based on my last medical weigh-in from November (which was a fair bit above my uber-obese-capable scale) and the fact that I ate very poorly in December and my clothes were way tighter than during that weight in. Using my physician weigh-in back in November 2019 as the baseline I lost something in excess of 50 pounds*, but my last logged weigh-in on MyFitnessPal app was before I ended the fast. The fast was only partially about what weight I might lose during the fast; that was part of it but I did it for a host of reasons; one of which was to try to kick-start 2020 with changing my approach to food. I lust after food; in particular carbs. I figured after not eating for 40 days (I ended shortening it to 30 days or so) it would be easier for me to then get back into following a Keto diet, OMAD (one meal a day), and at least one 48-72 hour fast a week.

Unfortunately after about a month of COVID lockdown, I went back to a wholesale carbs-n-crap diet and I put on a ludicrous amount of weight. The heat of summer hit and I learned just how freaking hot my old uninsulated house gets during the day and one of my coping mechanisms was to drink a ton of lemonade and eating fruit (lime and lemon) popsicles. I was buying frozen lemonade concentrate by the dozens and many boxes of juice popsicles every time I would go to the grocery store.

Keto and intermittent fasting 100% works. The scientific/medical data is there. The anecdotal data is there. My personal experience confirms the efficacy; weight is only one of the benefits; perhaps not even the most important benefit. After a few weeks in Ketosis I feel better; my non-stop-year-round congestion goes away, my blood numbers get better. But just like a heroin addict who intellectually knows heroin is bad for him when I stumble I turn back to a wholesale carb-binging diet.

I have a host of challenges with keeping on Keto and intermittent fasting; I am lazy - eating Keto is a lot more work than a super simple carb-meal, I am not a big meat person, I am wired (at least habitually/addictively, though I believe genetically as well) to want to eat 90% carbs. This was always the case, but I think giving up smoking, alcohol, and drugs while great, it left me subconsciously drawn to grossly abusing food - in particular carbs.

I have lots of other excuses; drama and stress at work and in my personal life, etcetera, but excuses are what they are. Excuses are BS: for example let us assume that I am genetically wired to be a carbaholic, and let us also assume I am genetically wired to have a slow metabolism, and similar health issues that can drive my obesity problems... who cares: I am a human being who needs to control his behavior and eat appropriately.

* Edited to add this the day after the original post: I woke up this morning with this thread on my brain and thinking that the amount I lost was more like 30-40 pounds or so - not 50 plus... I won't run through all the reasons why... it is weird... it seems impossible I did not do better documentation... January also seems like it was years ago - not 9 months ago.. 2020 had really thrown me for a loop.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    nursetim, BIGJC, nikerret and 2 others like this.

3. JimP

JimP

well said Cali-Glock. I could be absolutely HUGE as I LOVE me some pasta, pizza, beer, bread, etc. Just can't (won't do it). Fell off Keto during the holidays this past year and just jumped back on a bit ago when I noticed my body fat had gone up to 18% and I wasn't feeling as good as normal (blood pressure up as well). So.....eased back into it with 30 days of cardio; re-integrated weight training two weeks ago after not doing anything since covid hit; and went back strict Keto last week. Now at 11.2 % body fat.

It's easier to deal with when we realize the hunger pangs come from our addiction to sugar, NOT the need for food (necessarily). Going to hit 10% BF or below and re-assess. I'm older so it is harder, but anything worth doing is hard. I things were easy, everyone would do them.

Good gouge on Jason Fungoes, I'll read up on his stuff as years ago I used to fast for a few days here and there. Right now I am intermittent fasting wherein I eat my noon meal and dinner. That's it. I don't eat from 1830-1200 the following day. I feel pretty danged good.

4. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    I've done it a couple times.

If you are doing Keto it's easier.

I've done 16-18 fasting numerous times.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

5. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I don't intentionally do it but I get around the 18hr mark pretty often, on night shift.
    Example being, day off, with work following day. I'll eat dinner around 1800 like normal, but stay up all night and sleep all day. I'll have "breakfast" around 1630 the following day.
    Some nights also just cant bring myself to eat. So that breakfast may be all I have until the following day again which is 24hrs.
    Your internal settings get jacked up working nights. Sometimes I am a black hole of hunger other times thinking of food makes me queasy at work.

6. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Been on keto for 3 years. I'm pretty much addicted to sugar/carbs so I just don't /can't eat them anymore. Haven't eaten anything sweet in 3 years nor do I eat bread, potatoes , rice, pasta, ketchup, beer or anything with carbs in it. It works for me and it's actually pretty easy to stick to.

I eat on a 18/6 schedule . Do a 24 fast about once a week. I do an occasional 48 and 72 hour fast just because I can.

7. ScarFace88

ScarFace88 NOT MOD APPROVED

I went for about a week without eating when I had pneumonia. It wasn't that bad, as my appetite was completely gone.

8. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Well, I haven’t had anything since between 6:00 and 7:00 PM, last night (ice cream cone dessert), Right now, assuming 7:00, I am at 17 hours. Sunday is a good day to try this as I do injections on M W T and F. On the weekends, I just have one pill per day.

When I worked midnight shift, I generally ate two meals per day. One during my shift and the other when I was home, not sleeping. I’ve been sitting around the house over a year and not in great shape, physically. Overall, I’ve done great at not over-eating, but I do love carbs. Chicken noodles and mashed potatoes is a first round pick, when I don’t want to pay for ribeye beef.

We’ll see how long I last.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  9. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
  10. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

For those who fast. Do you get headaches?

11. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

I call them hangovers....

12. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

In some of the videos I linked above and others, interesting points were:

Insulin in your cells is what causes the severe hunger pangs.

The female doctor has a line "what if I told you you can eat whatever you want, if you do it in a four hour period". Her point is the 20\4 method doesn't matter what you eat. I suppose her theory is you get back on the growth hormone wagon and it offsets the type of food.

Michio Kaku states that with every organism on earth, other than humans who haven't been tested, if you restrict its caloric intake 30%, it lives 30% longer.

13. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

I don't and never have. I was expecting to and was surprised when it didn't happen. If I did get headaches, I would probably blame it on caffeine withdrawal.

14. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

It's the opposite with me with regard to Berg. I like his demeanor, and anybody who makes a video titled "eat bacon to lose weight" is alright in my book. The fact he is a chiropractor was a lightening rod for attacks years ago when he first started advocating fasting, keto, and body shapes when it was unpopular. He was among the first, and as always, the arrogant attack the person and not the material presented. Think back 15 years, people were attacking anyone like Dr. Atkins who went against the grain on diet. Now it's obvious how wrong the grain was\is. A lot of the mucho arrogant here at GT were attacking low carb. Berg had the guts to stand against it and now he is being validated. As did Fung.

Berg is not claiming any physician or elite status, he is merely aggregating data available from various studies. Like Marks Daily Apple. If Berg wants to read all those long boring studies and tell me what they say, I am grateful.

Back when it was Dr. Atkins, I loved it when arrogant fools called him a liar and would say "I lost weight on the low carb diet, but when I started eating carbs again, I gained it all back". Double duh to that. Now they call it Keto, Paleo, or anything other than the Atkins Diet.

Now all those dieticians and companies who want to sell you food have to attack those who are advocating OMAD or routine fasting.

Cali-Glock likes this.
  15. BradD

BradD

Not after I got used to it. When I started IFing, I had several types of problems. I remember getting some headaches, feeling shaky, brain fog, etc.

Headaches might be caused by a decrease in caffeine. Without the energy highs and lows that come from eating, energy is remarkably stable. You just don't feel like you need the coffee. A sudden drop in caffeine will probably result in headaches. This brings about something useful: if I was going to stop drinking caffeine, I would pair that with IFing and gradually drop the caffeine over a week or two to avoid the headaches. I've done that before and the IFing made it a lot easier.

Headaches could also come from dehydration. It's pretty easy to become dehydrated because you're not eating as often, so you're probably not drinking water as often. Also, I read somewhere that water that's drank without any food doesn't absorb as well -- don't quote me on that, though. I try to drink a lot of water at each meal and then quite a bit more throughout the day.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  16. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I used to before I started fasting. None since.

17. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

To anybody interested in doing this. I started with 20/4 and over several weeks migrated to 22/2. Basically long enough to get all my daily required intake. The key thing is to have a defined moment when you close the door and stop eating until the next feast.

The best part is since I don't deny myself anything during my feast, I have found the willpower to completely resist the urge to snack. I also find I rarely drink alcohol anymore since the only time I can have it is during my feast, and then I thinking about food. I enjoy my meals more now also.

BradD likes this.
  18. Scott1970

Scott1970

No headaches for me when fasting.

19. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I made it over 24 hours. Not too bad. The worst part is I didn’t have anything to do all day, just sat around the house, bored. I’ve considered going to tomorrow, but not sure how i will do, when I take medicine on an empty stomach.

I went to the store, a steak sounded good. None looked good, but I found a small, reasonably healthy dessert.

97A83409-0253-48E0-83D6-C04584E834FA.jpeg

20. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out

So as a diabetic you thought a good choice of nutrition would be 90) ice cream sandwich/bars?