close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

243 Whitetail Bullet/Scope Suggest?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Esox357, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Esox357

Esox357

Hey guys, I just picked up a Sako Tikka Whitetail 243win. For the time being it is the only rifle I have that I will use for Whitetail Hunting. I hunt in Nebraska, so the deer can get big, but are generally average? What bullets have you used that have dropped those deer in their tracks? I figured I would use a heavy grain such as a 95 or 100. Would rem core lokts be a good choice? Any help would be great. Thanks Esox357

2. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

We get some pretty large whitetails around here. Young cousin of mine bagged a 275# buck with his .243 a couple of seasons ago. Lots of folks like the 95gr. Ballistic Tips; others don't like 'em. You've got a fine rifle, there. Good luck this season.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

My uncle has taken quite a few deer with the .243. Nothing that would break any records, just good sized OH deer.

The .243 has two types of ballistic tips made for it. Those with thin jackets and a large nose gap under the jacket are meant for varmints. They are meant to basically explode on impact. The 95gr Winchester Balistic tips are made this way.

Hornady, Nosler and a few others have designed ballistic tips with the tip protruding lower into the lead and a small gap in the nose. These are for larger game like deer. The tip will ensure expansion, but the bullet is designed to stay together, which is what you want.

4. hoagie55

hoagie55

FYI - If you have a relative using a rifle in OH, then they are poaching. OH has been a shotgun state for a long time now.

5. hoagie55

hoagie55

If you ar elooking for a scope, go with a Nikon or Leupold. Both can be had for $200.00. If I had it to do all over again, I'd go with a Leupold. Leupold is the best bang for your buck in scopes!!!

6. Esox357

Esox357

Thanks guys, what about the Zeiss Conquest 3X9-40. I don't much care for the Leupold Vari X-I. Are the higher Vari X's better that the First? Any others that you would suggest?

7. hoagie55

hoagie55

Yes, the higher variable Leupolds are nicer. If you can afford a Ziess, then by all means get one. They are great scopes.

8. Esox357

Esox357

I was originally looking into the Nikon Monarchs, I currently own a Nikon Buckmaster and still not sure if I like it or not? I had a bushnell trophy I think it is called, that was bright and very clear that I was happy with, but have had a problem with the windage dial (shows the tick marks for adjustment) fell out? I have heard good things in regards to the 3200 Elite series of bushnell. The Zeiss I read somewhere that the scope is critical of eye positioning? That it will black out when moved side to side? Do you know anything about this Hoagie? Thanks Esox357

9. MI10mm

MI10mm

Take a good look at the Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 scopes. Excellent glass and a lifetime warranty. They cost less than Leupold too.

10. 357glocker

357glocker

Hurry up and just stick that Buckmaster on it so we can go shoot it Esox;f The VX1 is what I have on my 223 rifle, the only bad thing I have to say about it is the adjustment knobs do not "click" while adjusting them. But as you have seen that thing stays zeroed.

As for bullets, I have never used 243 for deer but here is another discussion happening on another forum for 243 and deer
    http://www.hr1871.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003234

cant get the url to work, but go to the hr1871.com site and in the centerfire forum you will find it. Good luck.

11. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Hoagie,

He "hunts" on a pest permit (not sure the exact license name) at an apple orchard. This permit allows the use of a rifle as well as a very different limit than normal.

Esox,

Check out the High Power Club and search for Zeiss. There's tons of info there.

12. Esox357

Esox357

Thanks guys, 357glocker I need your help getting that weaver style rings on the base for the AR. I think I will either go with a Zeiss Cnquest or the Bushnell Elite 3200. Thanks again guys. I will post a range report upon firing. Take Care. Esox357

13. WalterGA

Sounds authoritative enough, albeit incorrect! ;) "Ballistic Tip" is a trademarked bullet design of Nosler. Nosler does, in fact, make "varmint" and "hunting" Ballistic Tips. The lighter weight Ballistic Tips, in .243, eg., 55gr., etc., are varmint Ballistic Tips, with the thin jacket; however, the 95 grain is most definitely not a varmint Ballistic Tip, but rather, a hunting Ballistic Tip.

For more correct information, check out the Nosler website.

14. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I stand corrected. I truly thought the Nosler that Winchester packed on top was of the varmint design.

15. WalterGA

Depends on the bullet weight/caliber. 95 grains is the heaviest BT that Nosler makes in 6mm/.243. (Couldn't get the Nosler website to work, but that's the heaviest BT that Midway carries.)

16. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

OK here's the skinny straight from Nosler.

6mm/.243 varmint ballistic tips are: 55gr, 70gr, and 80gr

6mm/.243 hunting ballistic tips are: 90gr and 95gr.

6mm/.243 CT bullets, which Winchester helped make and uses in their Supreme Ballistic Tip line, come in: 55gr and 95gr. The 55gr are the Nosler varmint design and the 95gr are the hunting design. Both have the black Winchester Lubalox coating.

Now that I'm clear on this. What were we talking about? ;f

17. hoagie55

hoagie55

Just to be clear, 6mm is also the same as the .244 caliber. I know, I have one in this caliber just to be different.

18. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

The calibre is the same - yes. Actually, I believe the 6mm/244 is a necked-down .257 Roberts (as the .243 is a necked down .308).

However, the rate of twist in the barrels of 6mm rifles is different th an the old .244. Remington had trouble competing with the .243 so they re-introduced their .244 as the 6mm. With the different twist, the bullits were more stable and thus more accurate.

It didn't help, they never did catch on. I have one (6mm) and it's a wonderful calibre. Very accurate and very bad for deer.

We used to shoot 85gr Sierra HPBT at deer. 3300 fps. WHOP!

19. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Pulpa est valeo

What decade are you living in? Do you have a source of Leupolds for $200.00?

My best luck with the .243 was with 95 grain Nosler Partitions.

20. Esox357

Esox357

I finally ended up with a Leupold Vari X 1 3x9-40. It appears to be okay? I think I should have went with the 4x12 though. That being said I paid 220.00 dollars for the Leupold and another 41.00 dollars for Mounts. I will be going out today to sight it in, so I will post the results. Esox357