230gr +P HST: Wow! Just wow....

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ABNAK, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ABNAK

ABNAK

Got a new Glock 36. Decided I was gonna use some Federal HST 230gr +P I had on hand (as well as ordering more from ATG) for carry rounds. Now, I've fired the +P load from a full-sized 1911 and it was stout but the weight of the gun helped tame it a good bit. Out of the G36---&%#$!!! Shot decently accuracy-wise but man, that little pistol bucked like a horse on crack! Fired a couple of mags worth for function and then went back to the FMJ fodder I had brought for range use. The +P is definitely not something I'd care to run an entire box of 50 through (at least in the G36) but it should be hellfire and brimstone as a carry round. I suspect it would blow one helluva hole in a bad guy.

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

I stopped using most .45 ACP +P loads some time ago, unless it's the only load available (like when we were stuck using the newest version of the RA45TP because that's all the distributor had in stock at the time).

I dislike the extra felt recoil and inherent controllability issues it can sometimes involve, especially in the smaller, lightweight .45 platforms.

I've certainly seen my fair share of cops exhibit occasional grip-related issues and flinching when shooting some of the different +P loads, too.

I watched a small bureau of an agency one day when they were first shooting their brand new G30's, and someone had chosen Speer 200gr +P loads for their training & duty ammunition. We were providing some range support and instruction for them. No less than half a dozen of the group experienced repeated functioning issues seemingly related to a combination of grip-stability issues, as well as increased felt recoil and slide velocities. They eventually decided to get rid of their G30's for some compact .40's. :dunno:

I don't try to talk folks out them if that's what they want to carry ... as long as they can accurately, controllably, effectively and reliably shoot them out of their particular guns under reasonably difficult and somewhat stressful shooting drills.

3. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Federal also sells a standard 230 grain HST that would be worth trying out in the Glock 36. I have found that the 230 grain HST +P is a pretty hot load.

4. ABNAK

ABNAK

Only problem is finding the non+P HST load. Doesn't seem as available as the +P variant.

5. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

I have both +P and standard pressure .45 HST, and I really can't tell any significant difference between the two in my G36. I've even randomly put both in the same magazine, and couldn't tell which was which when I fired them.

6. ABNAK

ABNAK

I guess if there isn't any noticeable difference then the +P is the way to go. Again, it ain't like I'm gonna shoot 50rds of it at a pop; don't have that much and I've fired more "comfortable" ammo for practice! Nonetheless, it should be shiite-hot as a self-defense round.

7. Able 5

Able 5

I chrono'd the 230 hst +p out of my G30SF between 957-974. That's a smokin' round! Don't have any non+p to compare it.

8. ABNAK

ABNAK

:wow:

Yeah, for a compact gun that's smokin'! Same barrel length as my G36.

9. JesseCJC

JesseCJC

kinda surprised to see someone opt for the 230gr +p over the 185gr +p in a G36. The 230+p is pretty snappy even in my g21

10. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

That's what I am carrying right now. It is a stout load but it is accurate. Follow up shots are definitely harder. Some advocate the world famous Pow-BANG technique.... A standard pressure round and then the +p round, standard pressure then the +p and so on.

11. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I had the same reaction the first time I shot GD 200+p out of my G30SF. But you get used to it. I now carry and have 800 backup inventory of RA45TP. I guess I'll be using those for a while. I always shoot at least one carry setup (10+1) every range visit.

12. Hedo1

Hedo1

I'll try some through my SW 4506. It's a big old block of steel with a .45 acp hole in the middle:)

13. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Anyone tried this?
    http://www.dpmsystems.com/en/home/

I'm considering spending the $75 for a mechanical system just because of the quicker follow ups. The recoil from the G30 with anything I shoot doesn't bother me but I like the idea of less muzzle flip and being able to shoot the follow up shots quicker.

Same thing with the G26. Recoil is not a bother but I want to be able to stay on target for quick 2nd and 3rd shots.

14. fredj338

fredj338

Same reason I don;t use +P in lt.wt. or small 45acps. Just not enough gain vs recoil & slowed followup shots. If I want more speed, I drop a bullet wt. or two. The 200gr XTP still makes 900fps from a G36 & the 185gr WSTHP about the same w/ very manageable recoil.

15. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

wow!

lots of .45 guys dont care for the +P stuff...

thats what i like in 9MiniMeter but that needs all the help it can get...

16. Able 5

Able 5

Not sure I understand your logic...do you refer to the g36 or g30. It makes a difference in felt recoil regardles of the round.

From a G30 a 230 HST+p has less felt recoil than a double tap 180gr and I am able to get back on tgt faster. Feet per second isn't the 'end all to be all' in a defensive round.

Not being confrontational but don't want to get into a unnecessary discussion.

Kevin.

17. fredj338

fredj338

In either gun, they both fall into the light wt. small 45 catagory IMO. Yes, DT 185gr are much hotter & have a lot more snap than other 185gr std. pressure loads. I'm not sure what 180gr load you are talkning aobut. The DT stuff is all +P even if they don't rate it as such pressure wise.
    9mm needs help, the 45acp does not. A +P+ load in 9mm still has 1/2 the recoil of a 45acp in a sim platform.

18. Able 5

Able 5

Fred, you say "I'm not sure what 180gr load you are talkning aobut."

Sorry, got happy fingers...you probably know I meant 185 grain...and we won't talk about your spelling!

Regarding +p or not, shoot what YOU can handle accurately. We are not all all made the same. However, with training/practice one can overcome felt recoil.

19. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

Fred, i usually would stand by most of what you say but half of the recoil, come on man...

20. fredj338

fredj338

I spell fine, I just type like crap.:tongueout:
    As to recoil, no doubt, add'l training helps w/ recoil recovery, but even then, most will shoot a softer recoiling round better/faster/more accurately. It's why the 9mm is the darling of so many, low recoil & lots of rounds. I shoot 4" 44magnum regularly, I just find I shoot std. pressure 45acp faster w/ more accuracy than +p. It's measureable, just slap a timer on your shooting. Yes you don;t have to slow down much, but you still have to slow down a little w/ +P 45acp.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010