close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2300lbs gun safe...cheap...thoughs?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Jan 19, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Semi-locally, there is a safe...a vaultmasters safe...weighs either 2300 or 2800 lbs. and is selling for only $650. For me it sounds too good to be true. However, I'm getting pics later.

Now I'm really not ready to buy yet and I'd have to rent a truck to pick it up. But it'll save me 2-3 grand to buy this instead of a Sturdy which is half the weight.

Anyways, does anyone know anything about these safes?

Please share your thoughts!

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. pal2511

pal2511

where you gonna put it ?

Is the lock all worn out or what

3. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

That's not going to be easy

4. walt cowan

walt cowan

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Anything a forklift can bring in, 50 guys can carry out
    :rofl:

6. crnama

crnama CLM

Mine weighs 1500lbs empty and even with equipment and 5 guys it was still difficult to move. Our biggest problem was getting it off of the trailer. After that it was fairly easy. Sounds like a great deal, even if it needs a lock that should not cost more than $300 for a good combo lock.

7. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

For that price for such a heavy safe, I'd go for it in a heartbeat as long as it's not totally trashed. If you use your head, and are willing to go VERY slowly, moving something like that isn't so bad. You may have to invest in some timbers, but if you build solid ramps where needed and have a couple bottle jacks and some 1/2 or 3/4 inch pipe for rollers, then you can put it about anywhere with little help.

If you have a place to put something that big in your house...I'd go for it. Just make a plan and make sure that you can get any parts that may be needed, such as the lock. You should have a good, local, reputable locksmith check it out before you buy. Would be a real bummer to get it in place, stash you stuff inside it, then find out you can't open it!:shocked:

8. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

How's your flooring?

9. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

You should be able to do it yourself, but let me know if you need help moving it.

10. Pete14

Pete14

Sounds like it would go nicely in the back yard!

11. das9mm26

das9mm26

Remember to lift with your legs...NOT your back!! (j/k!!)
    Seriously....provided the locking mechanism is in good shape (.....the seller DOES have the combination, right??!:whistling:) you should be fine....
    Quite often, someone will sell a safe "for a steal" just to get it out of their way....the "catch" is: YOU hafta move it yourself.....if you can swing that inexpensively.....AND SAFELY.....you're golden!!
    Good Luck!!

12. BigKid

BigKid

Rent a truck with a lift gate and get a few heavy duty furniture dollies. It'll be heavy but its not immovable. Last time I had to move 2 safes, I hired a moving company for 2 hours of work. They had an hour left over so I made them rearrange my furniture in my living room. It was very reasonable. You might consider calling around, they would provide the truck too, and insurance if they screw up.

Regarding the safe, I have no personal dealing with them and I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything on them. So they might be a small operation. 2300 lbs is a beefy safe though. If its in good condition with good locks, I'd go for it.

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Do yourself a favor,......spend about $250 and have a safe mover do it!

14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Here's my main concern. Does anyone know anything about this brand??

I can't find them online.

My other concern is if this thing will even hold a long gun. It sounds like it has a top and bottom compartment, not one huge cavity.

See it's not the best time because we're looking to buy a new home now. I mean I will store it in the garage until we move but I'll either have to pay someone twice or see if the seller will hold it a month or two.

How does one go about finding a safe moving company btw? Are there any national chains or anything?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

15. eddief4

eddief4

a while back my uncle who works for a bank, had an extra safe that they were "disposing" of. he offered it to me for free. only catch was he wasn't going to help move it:supergrin:

the safe was easily 2300lbs and one heck of a deal! i just couldn't find the money to pay a professional safe mover at the time, so i had to let that one go. :sad:

16. iiibdsiil

iiibdsiil

A locksmith would be the first call to find someone to move the thing.

If not, a liftgate should handle the job, but you are going to want to verify it'll hold that kind of weight. Ryder won't be too happy if you break their liftgate. ;)

If the door comes off, which I believe most usually do, you can take a few hundred pounds off I'm sure.

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

By liftgate that's just on the truck right? That won't help me get it into the garage or basement when we go to move.

Do regular moving companies move these things? Again, are there any national companies that will do it? It's only about 100miles.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

18. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Don't remember when or where I read this.. Some bank vaults/safes that are reinforced with concrete will hold humidity. This makes them bad for storing guns. I would try to do a bit more research.

19. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah, if it holds long guns, which my gut is telling me it does NOT, there's no way I can pass this up! But the guy is going to send me a pic so we'll have to wait and see.

Here's the description. Hopefully yall will be able to tell me more on it...

"FLOOR SAFE - COMMERICAL RETAIL - WEIGHTS 2,850 LBS. TWO COMPARTMENT DROP BOX. UPPER COMPARTMENT AND LOWER COMPARTMENT ARE OPENED WITH COMBINATION LOCK. LOWER COMPARTMENT ALSO REQUIRES A KEY THAT GOES WITH THE SAFE. GREAT FOR RETAIL STORES, PIZZERIAS, DELI'S, HANDGUN STORAGE, ETC. CONTACT TONY AT 610-476-6803 WILL LOAD WITH FORK LIFT AT OUR LOCATION FOR FREE. "

Thanks!

-Emt1581

20. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah I am trying. As I said, my gut tells me this isn't going to be what I need due to the layout. But again, hopefully the pic and some here can shed some light on whether I want to hop on this or not.

Thanks!

-Emt1581