close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

230 grain .45 bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by norton, Mar 1, 2017.

1. fredj338

fredj338

Its not speed of the powder, many faster powders work well in the 45acp. TG burns super hot, hot enough that a full mag thru a glock rapid fire will make the slide almost too hot to hold. This same heat plays havoc with bullet lubes, imo promoting leading.
    For best results, clean your bbl between lead & jacketed or plated.

SJ 40 likes this.
  2. Jump Boot

Jump Boot

Yes,for sure,clean between jacketed and lead cast bullets.Just to add to that and explain why,because copper and lead makes solder.That is why it is very important to get all the lead or copper out of the bore before you change over,otherwise,it is going to get harder and harder as you go in order to clean that bore.

fredj338 likes this.

3. Den499

Den499

6 gr of CFE Pistol hornady book says 1210 oal but has feeding problems with Glock41 loading to 1245 oal now no problems its around 800 fps

4. dudel

dudel

It's listed in the Hornady reloading manual, as well as the older ones, also available in Loadbooks.

It's a pretty standard bullet for 45ACP. Bullseye is what I I use.

5. A6Gator

A6Gator

If you decide jacketed is the way you want to go, Precision Delta has 230gr fmj's for $124/1000 if you buy 2K.

WeeWilly likes this.
  6. norton

norton

I ended up using Auto Comp (6.1 grains and an OAL close to a factory Remington loaded 230 grain round nose). My chrony showed an average of 718 fps for 5 shots. It was very soft shooting in both my Colt NRM 1911 and my FN. I shot up all 100 rounds for a very enjoyable day at the range. At this velocity, it would sometimes not knock down steel at 20 yards.
    the 2nd 100 I just loaded a little hotter at 6.3 Auto Comp.
    My FN is very particular about bullet size and oal. My Colt is pretty forgiving. I just ordered a thousand 230 grain round nose bullets and will experiment with CFE Pistol on this one.
    I normally shoot lead, but on occasion I like to load and shoot fmj bullets. Thanks for the responses to the thread, I just wanted to see what powder others were using.