230 gr out of G36

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Bull543, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Bull543

Bull543

I have been using Federal Hydra Shok 45 ACP +P 185 grain in my Glock 36. I had heard that the lower grain 45 had better expansion out of the shorter barrel compact guns. Is this true?

I was thinking about picking up some 230 grain Ranger Ts online

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Just stuff that bad boy with 230gr ball and go on. OR you 230gr Rangers, if you prefer. Forget the lighter bullets, and the so called "short barrel factory stuff." I do not mean to sound so direct, but that 45 is not going to suffer using 230gr. That is one of the many wonders of a 45 over some other calibers. The fact that no matter a G36 a G30 or a 5" gov. a 230gr bullet will still do out of it all you'll need it to do. ;) I do prefer a 5" barrel in my 45's, but that being said. I do own them in the shorter versions as well like yours. (barrel length not your model). I would not sacrifice what the 45acp is all about (230gr bullet) to go down in bullet weight so I could gain a tad of vel. If that is what you or trying for, you should just get a G22 or a faster vel caliber. Speed is no need, in the 45acp. I will "highly suggest" to you if you want JHP's to simply run 230gr XTP's through that G36, or your 230gr Rangers ( i just prefer the XTP's), and if he likes them (and he should), don't look back. It will be all the gun you need for SD.. ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan

3. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Ranger T are not as velocity Dependant as many other rounds. It will not know the difference between a G36 and a G21.

4. Bull543

Bull543

Thanks for the feedback....that was what i was concerned about, if I could get as much expansion out of the slower heavier round

5. fredj338

fredj338

It will depend on the bullet design. The Rem 230grGS expands well, but so does the 185grWSTHP w/o all the extra blast & recoil. I here good things about HST @ lower vel too. Get a box & try them out. Might as well do something creative w/ those old phone books.:supergrin:

6. HWA GLOCKER

HWA GLOCKER

45.acp 230gr HST's or ranger T's for me!

7. Bull543

Bull543

I was looking at trying the 230gr + P Ranger Ts....anyone had any experience shooting these out there G36 or G30s?

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

If you mean by "experience" Have I fired them out of my G30. Yes. They all went bang and functioned perfect and were not as accurate as others I've used. The G30 will eat everything I've ever dropped in it I just don't see the need for a +P though. Standard 230gr will be just fine.

CanyonMan

9. Bull543

Bull543

I guess i was thinking that the higher velocity of the +P in the 230 gr would help with the expansion issue out of the shorter pipe? Am I way off base here?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  10. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

In my G36 I just stay with standard FedAE 230fmj. With the short barrell I don't think you would see any hp expansion. The +P makes for stiff recoil and slow recovery in the light little G36. The 230fmj will be very reliable and will get the job done.

11. Bull543

Bull543

Thats what I wondered...will hollowpoints expand the way they are suppose to out of the shorter barrel or are just better off using FMJ? i have read conflicting opinions on here about this. I know there must be some test results out there?

12. fredj338

fredj338

Suire it helps, but at theexpense of slower followup shots. At least for me, the 45acp, especially out of short/lt pistols does not benefit from the extra recoil of +P ammo.

13. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Bull, Your going to find that there is a vast difference in jello and water jug test, than in a real world senerio shooting into a human. I use 230gr ball ammo in all my 45acp's no matter the barrel length. I do prefer as I said, a 5" gov. But sometimes carry a 3" G30 or a commander size 1911.

But especially in the shorter tubes I would not carry anything but ball in 230gr. I see no advantage in sacrificing weight for vel (that is dropping down to a 185gr bullet). I would rather have the heavier bullet and the added momentem it brings than pump out a +P in 185gr. Again, if this is what a man needs is more speed, then use another caliber like a 40S&W perhaps.

People will say, "well if the JHP is going to end up acting like a ball anyway I'll go with the JHP". Problem with this mind set is that the clogged JHP slows down and looses penetration (a nasty word to many people), and the ball does not lose it (penetration). I like the XTP's as I said to you above some where, because they do penetrate like crazy, and you don't have a gapping big hollow cavity like many others do out there. Nothing wrong with the Ranger T, and if that is what you want to use man it is fine. You use what you feel good about and shoot great with and is accurate in your gun and reliable, and you do the best with. I am merely making suggestions based on my on experience. I use the ball first choice and the XTP 230 as second choice, because for "me" they are both very accurate, (especially the ball), and reliable, and will penetrate like heck. Yes, over penetration is a big wad of internet and gun magizine myth "for the most part." YES, i do know they can OP, but it is not very common in this caliber, and when it does it is minimal. I'm far more worried about under penetration.

In closing here is my take on it: In the 45acp (especially the shorter barrels) I would not be afraid at all to use the 230gr Ball, #1, the 230gr XTP #2, or the 230gr Golden Saber #3. These are my suggestions, again, based on my experience/s and all my personal preference. I would not worry with any of those. But that is the order I prefer.

Your leaning is mainly towards the 230gr Ranger as you keep bringing up. I think if you shoot well with it, and it is very accurate for you, and that is where your confidence is at. By all means use that round. Do not look for expansion to be like a jello block. It is not going to happen. That is why I like the ones listed above. They do penetrate better even when "clogged," than most other JHP's especially the XTP.

Just stop trying to "analyze" it all, get the ones that do best for ya, and PRACTICE till you are blue. Again, in this caliber, tons of practice with ball is cheaper. Then you are carrying what you practice with as well.

FWIW ;)

Good shooting.

CanyonMan

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  14. Big Sam

Big Sam

Of late I have been shooting the Double Tap 230gr Gold Dot load out of my G30. It gives me 860 fps without any recoil or blast issues unusual to a full power 45 load. A friend of mine shot some of them out of his G36 (It gives the same velocity as my G30) and he reports it no harder shooting any any other standard carry load.

In other words, 860 fps is plenty fast to make a 230 gr Gold Dot do its thing. You have a LOT of choices but this load sold me.