close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

23 problems

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by agent clark, Feb 3, 2010.

1. agent clark

agent clark

I bought my 23 back in 2000, have put a ton of rounds through it, and the ONLY time it ever hiccuped was when I didn't push a mag all the way in with the slide closed...my fault. Anyways, I go shooting with my roommate last weekend, and everything is fine for a few mags, then it starts locking the slide back on the 3rd of 5 shots. Then after the 3rd, it starts doing it routinely. Anybody have this happen before? Think its the ammo or magazine? I've changed trigger parts in it, but it worked fine in the past, so this is totally new, so any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

2. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

Check the top of the barrel hood for any peening or such. Also check the inside of the slide for any sign of excessive rubbing or peening. Could also be your slide release.

3. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Change the ammo/change the mag.

4. voyager4520

voyager4520

It could be several things. If you've changed trigger parts in the past, it could be that when you re-installed the slide stop(slide release) that you didn't center it in the groove in the trigger pin. If the slide stop rubs against either side of that groove, it can prematurely lock the slide back. It could also be if you didn't install the slide stop correctly, the slide stop spring is not resting against the bottom of the locking block pin. That spring pushing against the bottom of the locking block pin is what gives the spring its tension, keeping the slide stop down against the frame until the follower of the magazine or your finger pushes the slide stop up into the notch in the slide.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9T7kstVogE

It could also be that part of your hand is pushing the slide stop up, or that the slide stop spring is weak, allowing the slide stop to pop up into the notch in the slide with recoil.

5. agent clark

agent clark

Cool, thanks. I'll have to tear it down and check things out. The first thing my pal thought was if my thumb was hitting the slide lock, but it wasn't.

6. AustinTx

AustinTx

That problem is usually (can be) caused by the slide stop spring not being in the right position.

7. jack76590

jack76590

I had it happen to my G27. The spring in the slide release lever had gotten weak. Replaced the slide release lever, which includes new spring, and problem solved.

8. perkins3120

perkins3120

my guess is magazine spring is wearing a little and the gun thinks there is no shell in when in reality there is one the spring is just to weak to depress slide release

9. burthouse

burthouse

This is going to be your slide stop most likely, check that before you do anything. Most people have told you what to do so I won't go there, but chances are its installed wrong or the spring is weak and on recoil it's bouncing up and locking the slide.

10. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

This is most likely your problem.

11. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

That was your first problem, what are the other 22 problems?:dunno:

12. agent clark

agent clark

haha, the 20-30 more rounds I could have shot on Sunday, but didn't cause I stopped and switched because of the issue. Did pretty good with my 6" barrel 686, and was brutal with my S&W 41 (.22) after that. I never shot my 41 so well before, a couple targets had 3-4 bulls (dime-sized) at about 10 yards. I love that gun...