Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I like things.
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I have a question and I can't seem to find an answer. I have an Intercontinental Arms Dakota single-action revolver that I inherited. It was made by Uberti. Essentially, it is a Colt SSA clone. The revolver is chambered in .22LR.

I would like to pick up an extra cylinder in .22WMR. I understand the difference between both cartridges and they are not interchangeable as far as chambers are concerned. My question is:

Is it safe to fire a .22WMR bullet through a barrel for .22LR?

I understand a .22LR bullet is .222"-.223" diameter, and a .22WMR is .224". Considering how robust the barrel is, would this be safe or would this generate excessive pressures?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
My ruger single six had a convertible cylinder, so does my NAA mini’s.

I am pretty sure yours will be fine. The barrel barrel twist on a 22WMR is a little different then the ideal barrel twist for a 22LR.

****Edit******
I read a little more about this since posting and most 22lr are a 1:16 twist and...... 22WMR are also 1:16. I really thought they were supposed to be different.

I know from personal experience that my 22lr/22WMR generally prefer 22WMR in terms of accuracy.

*****end edit********

Your accuracy may suffer slightly. But my single six was more accurate with 22 WMR

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
What Gokyo stated above. Both of the Single-Six Rugers I own, seem to be more accurate when firing .22 WMR through 'em. I came to the conclusion, that the .22 WMR I tried, CCI, Hornady and Remington were jacketed. Not lead or plated lead of the .22 LR variety. Not sure if helpful to the OP or not.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If your sixgun barrel is indeed 222 for 22lr shooting a 22 magnum which is 224 could be dangerous. I would.not do it. At the very least it would develop excessive pressure and not be good for your gun. Early Ruger Single six's were .222 and Ruger will not fit a 22 magnum cylinder to them.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
There is a reason you could order a S&W model 48 (.22 WMR) with an extra .22LR cylinder, but could not order a model 17 (.22LR) with an extra .22WMR cylinder.

Not only is the bore smaller for the .22LR, it also uses soft lead bullets vs the jacketed bullets of the .22WMR... forcing those thru a .22LR bore will cause a sharp increase in pressures.

·
Banned
414 Posts
Chamber pressure is the same for the .22 Long Rifle and the .22 Magnum at 24,000 PSI.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Those pressure specs are for barrels that have the correct dia for their specific cartridge.
A Mag thru one that is machined for LR will increase greatly in pressure.
Just don't do it. Simple enough.

·
I like things.
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, folks. I appreciate the insights.

·
Banned
414 Posts
Those pressure specs are for barrels that have the correct dia for their specific cartridge.
A Mag thru one that is machined for LR will increase greatly in pressure.
Just don't do it. Simple enough.
Really! I wonder why then that manufacturers like Ruger and North American Arms provide EXTRA .22 magnum rimfire cartridge cylinders for their .22 Long Rifle revolvers.
SAAMI specifies "chamber pressures" not barrel pressures. The working PSI chamber pressures are the same for both cartridges. Last I looked, a .22 LR has the same bullet diameter as the .22 Magnum rimfire round, the case is just bigger, thus the need for different size chambers in the extra cylinder.

·
Banned
414 Posts
My ruger single six had a convertible cylinder, so does my NAA mini’s.

I am pretty sure yours will be fine. The barrel barrel twist on a 22WMR is a little different then the ideal barrel twist for a 22LR.

****Edit******
I read a little more about this since posting and most 22lr are a 1:16 twist and...... 22WMR are also 1:16. I really thought they were supposed to be different.

I know from personal experience that my 22lr/22WMR generally prefer 22WMR in terms of accuracy.

*****end edit********

Your accuracy may suffer slightly. But my single six was more accurate with 22 WMR
It's due to the better made jacketed .22 magnum bullets. The swaged lead .22 bullets are easily damaged when they leave the cylinder and enter the "forcing cone" area, so they can attain alignment with the bore. Lead bullet noses are more easily deformed than a jacketed bullet is upon entering the forcing cone.

·
Registered
254 Posts
As state, the change over guns manufactured have the bore for the .224 and then shooting a .222 in it is not an issue. The S&W Model 53 Remington Jet is a .222 and came with either inserts for the cylinders to use .22 LR or a second cylinder for the .22LR but no .22 WRM.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts