Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I ordered 250 rounds of this off the Federal site today with some 9mm HST. Looking forward to trying it out on my Glock 44

·
Registered
14,619 Posts
Sounds like it performs similarly to most HV 22 out of a short barrel. Hopefully the reliability upgrades make it better for SD.

·
18,328 Posts
Sounds like it performs similarly to most HV 22 out of a short barrel. Hopefully the reliability upgrades make it better for SD.
Not if you're comparing HV velocity with a 40 grain solid to this stuff with a 29 grain projectile which is what they use in the 22 short. Ballistics are still piss poor with any 22 out of a short barrel.

And why carry a Ruger LCR in 22 LR when you can carry the same size and weight gun in 380 which is more powerful and more reliable? I think more people are considering carrying a 22 now more because the cost of ammo than anything else. But self defense isn't an area where it make sense to cut costs. Your life should be worth more than a few hundred bucks worth of centerfire ammo for practice and carry ammo. It would be better to use a 22 chammberd LCR for practice only and get another LCR in 380 to carry. Or just get one gun, a Glock 42 and practice with realods an carry Underwood Plus+P 90 grain XTP's

·
Huge Member
11,245 Posts
1,070 fps through 2-inch barrel handguns, 1,650 fps out of 24-inch rifle barrels
  • 29-grain nickel-plated lead-core bullet
$9.99/50

I never thought I'd see the day when 22 ammo was $.20/round

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Not if you're comparing HV velocity with a 40 grain solid to this stuff with a 29 grain projectile which is what they use in the 22 short. Ballistics are still piss poor with any 22 out of a short barrel.

And why carry a Ruger LCR in 22 LR when you can carry the same size and weight gun in 380 which is more powerful and more reliable? I think more people are considering carrying a 22 now more because the cost of ammo than anything else. But self defense isn't an area where it make sense to cut costs. Your life should be worth more than a few hundred bucks worth of centerfire ammo for practice and carry ammo. It would be better to use a 22 chammberd LCR for practice only and get another LCR in 380 to carry. Or just get one gun, a Glock 42 and practice with realods an carry Underwood Plus+P 90 grain XTP's
I think this is meant for people who can’t rack the slide on, or handle the recoil of, centerfire guns. You and I can handle the stout recoil of a 380 out a 10 oz gun, but my mother can’t even rack the slide on that gun (LCP, she has tried). She can’t really rack the slide on my subcompact 9mm either, and the recoil (softer than the LCP as the 9mm weight 2.2x as much) is still too much for her. It’s far from ideal, but unfortunately 22LR is for her.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Another choice is a good thing.
I agree. I have a M&P 9 for home defense but if I get got, I’d like my wife to have something in the Glock 44 that will pack a punch. We’re saving for a better secondary but you have to work with what you have.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I get the arguments. However, I wouldn’t want hit with multiple rounds of this stuff, or any .22 for that matter. Probably lacks the stopping power of larger calibers. However, I’m thinking shot placement of this could make a huge difference.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
IIIII doknooow

The Ammo Quest guy gel testing got better penetration using a NAA mini revolver and CCI mini mag 36 grain HP. All were over 11 inches and half were at 12 inches. That's dang good.

Plinkster knows HP 22s don't expand. In the video he says that's why the Fed SD rounds are flat nose. IMO I'm not impressed. I think Plinkster is going a bit corporate cheer-leady lately. And 29 grains gets more velocity but gives up a step or two on momentum.

When I see true third party review, I'll reconsider

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I think this is meant for people who can’t rack the slide on, or handle the recoil of, centerfire guns. You and I can handle the stout recoil of a 380 out a 10 oz gun, but my mother can’t even rack the slide on that gun (LCP, she has tried). She can’t really rack the slide on my subcompact 9mm either, and the recoil (softer than the LCP as the 9mm weight 2.2x as much) is still too much for her. It’s far from ideal, but unfortunately 22LR is for her.
I watched an elderly grocery clerk unable to open a grocery bag easily, trying for a bit. I thought of how she probably couldn’t handle a more powerful weapon.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
You would be too, if Federal sent you free ammo.
Actually, I wouldn't

My integrity matters to me

I would think it's more than free ammo Plinkster is getting. Hey, more power to him. But if true, I'll stick with Paul Harrell for unbiased info

Reactions: Rotn1

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Actually, I wouldn't

My integrity matters to me

I would think it's more than free ammo Plinkster is getting. Hey, more power to him. But if true, I'll stick with Paul Harrell for unbiased info
Now, I would really like to see Paul Harrell take a stab at this ammo and offer an opinion. The guy is legit in my book too. This intrigued me with my Glock 44, but not 100% sold.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts